What a shit day.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: What a shit day.

Post by Samouth »

MekongMouse wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Cam Nivag wrote:Maybe if they increased the fines people wouldn't drive on the wrong side of the road and run red lights. If you do something like that in the US the fine is probably $200+.

Hey I would love them to perform their duty well like US cops. I am really happy to obey my country low but at this point I didn't mean to drive on the wrong direction, just because I don't know it. I am okay to pay the fine if it will go to the government instead of their pocket.

Remember all the money that US cops fined went to the government but this absolutely went to their pockets. I don't know if you experienced this. The way they fined you was completely a scam. They will try to threaten you and get you to pay them more money.
You really shouldn't use US cops as an example of "good cops." They don't bribe everyday folks, but their pockets are still being lined daily, just differently. If they could get away with the open bribery of cambodia, i have no doubt the pigs would. Also they kill unarmed people all the time and never even get prosecuted. As a non-criminal American, I can say I'm genuinely scared of police. When I see them, I try to go in a different direction. Many have anger issues and behave like they're invincible, which they basically are because if you touch them you'll spend the rest of your life in prison or die and if they kill you, they'll have a few weeks paid time off as the public outrage dies and the department can sweep it under the rug.

The fact that they threatened to do something they don't actually have a legal right to do (impounding) and that they refused to issue a receipt is the frustrating part. Being fined the appropriate amount and in the appropriate manner be better.
Right. i really hated it when they said my motorbike had been impounded and i need to wait 5 days in order to address it at police station. Then they said, if i don't want to waste time i should solve it here.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Sailorman wrote:Today I was pulled over by Snookyville's finest for running a red light. I never run red lights and didn't, but the BIB were short of beer money. The cop told me I ran a red light and I called him a liar and we argued for a few minutes. He then stated that the fine was 10,000 riel and I told him to go pound sand and he was corrupt as it was only 5000 riel.

I pulled out my trusty copy of the laws/fines and waved it in his face. he took it over to the head guy and talked with him for a while. I told the young cop that even though I didn't go through a red light that I would pay the 5000 riel fine and btw I want a receipt.

The young cop and the head guy said no receipt and I said lets go see the head cop at the police station and find out just who is full of Sh*t. Well, the head on site cop reach's into his things and pulls out a receipt book and gives me a receipt. All the while the young cop and his friend are trying to read the laws/fines paperwork. They photographed the paperwork and I was on my way. (I think they were really glad to get rid of me.) They really hate it when you call bullsh*t on them when they pull you over because you are driving-while-white.
It is a great idea to bring the copy of the laws and fines along. i will do it next time i drive. Otherwise i would have no evidence to talk with those fucking corrupted polices

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Jacobincambodia wrote:I recently got pulled over on Mao Tse Toung near IBC, west of 163. I actually didn't do anything wrong but they claim they couldn't see my tax sticker. He then asked for my license. Whoops! It was expired by 2 months. I said, ok go ahead and give me a receipt and I'll pay a fine. That was the beginning of a 30 minute back and forth. Yes, they threatened to impound my car, blah, blah, blah. I asked for a copy of the law that states they can impound my car. They showed me some stuff in Khmer. I was able to fumble my way through it and point out that they couldn't actually take my car. Their first request was $50. After I called them out on their little law book, they dropped it to $10. I said I wasn't paying anything without a receipt. They were pretty upset at this point, saying repeatedly that they are the police. You need to respect the police. I said I was sorry but I can't respect corrupted policemen and politely said I would actually respect them if they did their job. I said this to the most arrogant one (the guy with a $4k KTM Duke). He was clearly making some bank by intimidation. It's really unfortunate!
I know that i was wrong, because i paid them overprice so they let me go as soon as possible. I know that i shouldn't have done it as it was clear that i involved in corruption. i should have spent more time to talk with them as a univ student who at least know a little bit about Cambodia's traffic law. How i was really in hurry. i was on my way to do the photo shooting for my graduation day. All my friends were waiting me and kept calling me. So i had to do it.

Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

blockhead wrote:I have been telling them for more than two years that mr HE said no more corruption so I cannot pay. If they persist I tell them that I work at the Australian Embassy, sometimes I even claim to be a policeman myself. I tell them that if I pay then we all have a problem and by the time I am asking their names they wave me away. I haven't paid a cracker for a long time.
i think polices are afraid of those who are working in International NGOs and Embassies that are working closely with the government.

Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Cam Nivag wrote:Maybe if they increased the fines people wouldn't drive on the wrong side of the road and run red lights. If you do something like that in the US the fine is probably $200+.

Hey I would love them to perform their duty well like US cops. I am really happy to obey my country low but at this point I didn't mean to drive on the wrong direction, just because I don't know it. I am okay to pay the fine if it will go to the government instead of their pocket.

Remember all the money that US cops fined went to the government but this absolutely went to their pockets. I don't know if you experienced this. The way they fined you was completely a scam. They will try to threaten you and get you to pay them more money.
I was looking at police officer jobs back in the USA and just starting out of the Academy, the pay was $25 per hour. That could be a difference.
Right when it comes to their salary it is really crazy. However they shouldn't threaten people to pay them more money so they can take care their family well. However we are civil people we also need to take care our family and feed them. So they should complain to the corrupted and neglect government who pay them shit salary.

General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

MekongMouse wrote:
thePeck wrote:
MekongMouse wrote:...It's like when I slam the door in Jehovah's Witnesses faces and they say, "Have a good day!"...
That's just fucking rude, some of them don't even want to be at your door.
Well then they shouldn't have been there;
I guess I'm the only one that thought ThePeck was calling THEM rude, LoL.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Sailorman wrote:I haven't seen any Christians beheading people lately.
"Lately" being the key word here.

Just because it happens to be the Muslims turn right now that doesn't mean the Christians are any less guilty.

It wasn't long ago Christians were killing witches in Salem, and I'm sure there are many more recent stories.

So while they seem to take turns killing people, I don't think the other group is any less to blame when it's the other's turn.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

remember OP, today's pig is tomorrow's bacon.

patience young one.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

General Mackevili wrote:
Sailorman wrote:I haven't seen any Christians beheading people lately.
It wasn't long ago Christians were killing witches in Salem...
Sure, if you want to call the late 1600s 'not long ago'. The 'witchcraft craze' ran from the 1300's to the early 1700's and Christians were one of a few religions playing bonfire - and late to the party at that - yet you'll only ever hear about those naughty Christ followers if someone mentions Salem.

You surprise me, you're normally more objective than that.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

dont forget the inquisition.

galileo and cpernicus had some issues.

mind you it is cathoilics, so not sure if it counts.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic