Question about FPCS app

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Question about FPCS app

Post by atst »

How does this work when living with girl ,no landlord but registered with the local police?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

atst wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:12 pm How does this work when living with girl ,no landlord but registered with the local police?
In that case: girl = landlord
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:26 am
AndyKK wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:30 am I think many will not like the idea of being tracked by that of the authorities, of every move they may make, but unfortunately that is the intention to do just that. What would you think was the main reason to do so? Would it be to stop the visa overstays, or even to help prevent crimes. Or even to help you from being a victim of crime.
They don't track you, they only want to know which place you officially stay.

The fact the landlord is responsible, and the app will usually be on his / her phone is proof enough they're not after tracking the foreigner.

It's an annoying app though. I registered in order to be able to renew my visa until my visa expiry date. Then I forgot all about it. Today I looked into the app and I had automatically been checked out because the 'stay until' date had expired. When I chose 'extend' I had to scan my passport again and wasn't recognized by the system as the former 'guest'. Now, according to the app, two different foreigners have been staying at my house. Me and me. Also have a 10 day gap in my stay now.
No they don't track you, but know of your whereabouts, from when the app gets used, such has when you leave your permanent address. Being an overnight stay away from your home, you must be checked out by your landlord via the app, has you will be checked in wherever you may stay the following night. That is unless you happen to stay overnight at a friends or go camping or something like.
The thing that I don't like (nor understand of immigration), is someone in control of your stay in the country, that you don't really have any control if they use the app or not, being too that you must trust the person to do this, and actually the person is not that of an official, but to whom you may pay your monthly rent too. Because, also like some others wanting to be sure, I did the app too, letting my landlord know this. When I did the app it specified for the location setting to be used, after I had registered, l was also sent a text message with a verification code.
Has quoting below the police never informed my landlord.

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): Lieutenant Keat Chathareth, director of the General Department of Immigration, reported that following the announcement no.028 of the Ministry of Interior to control the data of foreigners in Cambodia, the Ministry of Immigration will not extend visas for foreigners who are not registered on FPCS (Foreigners Present in Cambodia System) from July 01, 2020, according to the submission delivered by the Immigration department to Phnom Penh police station on April 27, 2020.
In conclusion, the General Immigration Department requests all police stations in the country to inform the landlords that have foreign residents living on their premises, that they must pass on the information to them that all foreigners must be present on the FPCS app in order to apply for a visa extension from and including 1 July 2020.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I have slept several nights in guesthouses since the introduction of FPCS and none of them bothered to scan my passport. In fact, when I travel inside Cambodia I never bring my passport. If they ask for an ID I will give them a copy of my driving license or the card from my medical insurance. Never experienced any problems.

There’s a wide gap between what the law prescribes and daily life, but I’m sure you are aware of that.
rockyboy612
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by rockyboy612 »

Depends if your phone has the location permission for the app always enabled. Some newer phones tend to ask and give you the option.

Logically that app is suppose to track tourist who are hopping from one place to the other, for expats who live here it only makes sense to register the place for your long term residence. Then again this is the kingdom of wonder, logic doesn't always apply.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

rockyboy612 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:14 am Logically that app is suppose to track tourist who are hopping from one place to the other, for expats who live here it only makes sense to register the place for your long term residence. Then again this is the kingdom of wonder, logic doesn't always apply.
I don't believe it is for tourists at all, it's for foreign residents.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

rockyboy612 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:14 am Depends if your phone has the location permission for the app always enabled. Some newer phones tend to ask and give you the option.

Logically that app is suppose to track tourist who are hopping from one place to the other, for expats who live here it only makes sense to register the place for your long term residence. Then again this is the kingdom of wonder, logic doesn't always apply.
I tested both the Android and IOS version of the app and neither required access to location data.
Requiring it wouldn’t make sense because it would provide them with the location of the landlord.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Another entertaining discussion coming up for me and my girlfriend and local police, I'll keep plenty of beers handy :o
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

atst wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:28 am Another entertaining discussion coming up for me and my girlfriend and local police, I'll keep plenty of beers handy :o
Why?

Download the app
Let her get her ID card
Let her register as landlord in the app
Get your passport and visa
Register yourself in her place as a guest

It’s no rocket science unless you’ve never used a smartphone before.
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:23 am
rockyboy612 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:14 am Depends if your phone has the location permission for the app always enabled. Some newer phones tend to ask and give you the option.

I tested both the Android and IOS version of the app and neither required access to location data.
Requiring it wouldn’t make sense because it would provide them with the location of the landlord.
the android app wanted access to location data when I installed it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic