Chikungunya Disease Outbreak in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Suspected Chikungunya Disease Outbreak in Poipet

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I know of around 10 white folk personally who have this dose.

Never mind the covid, beware of mozzies.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:16 pm I know of around 10 white folk personally who have this dose.

Never mind the covid, beware of mozzies.
Jerry, beware of both of them. It looks has a friend has got the Chikungunya up in Poi Pet.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

I was down by almost 2weeks due to this.
First few days was pain all over the body and legs. The heels were so painful and couldn't walk!
I'm 6ft and weigh around 220pounds and it was terrible.
I felt tired every day... and i could sleep the whole day just to wake up to eat something light... No appetite at all.
Fever started around Day5 but your body still feeling so weak and tired...
For me, rashes only started to be more visually obvious on Day8... but i was feeling much stronger by Day7 onward.
First 3days, i had to use a walking stick to assist me in my walking. Every step was painful below at the heel and kneecap area.
Around Day10, i was recovered. I lost 20pounds...

You won't know it until you got hit and feeling painful..... Just be careful and wear long pants and bright places.

First they suspected Dengue but 2 tests done on Day3 and Day5, results were negative but the symptoms were quite similar...
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia: Govt announces Chikungunya has hits 15 provinces
Saturday, 08 Aug 2020 5:31pm

PHNOM PENH, Aug 8 (The Phnom Penh Post/ANN): Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine has announced that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease.

Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes which are attracted to standing water and breed anywhere water collects.

She told The Post that the National Dengue Control Programme of the National Centre of Parasitology, Entomology and Malaria Control published a report on Wednesday revealing the number of suspected cases. She said the numbers varied greatly in each province.

“According to the previous report, we had the disease in 12 provinces. But now we have three more provinces – Kampong Thom, Battambang and Kandal,” she said.

The other remaining provinces with cases are Stung Treng, Pailin, Pursat, Oddar Meanchey, Kampot, Tbong Khmum, Takeo, Preah Sihanouk, Preah Vihear, Banteay Meanchey, Kampong Cham and Siem Reap.

Out of the suspected patients tested in Banteay Meanchey, Oddar Meanchey, Preah Vihear, Siem Reap, Stung Treng, Preah Sihanouk and Battambang provinces, 72.4 per cent were positive for chikungunya, Vandine said.

“Please be careful in protecting yourself amid the rainy season [when] mosquitoes [like to] breed,” she said.

She said most of the people suspected of having the disease had recovered and returned to their homes. Only a small number are being treated in hospitals.

The suspected cases, she said, had increased noticeably in Siem Reap – from 467 cases to 674. Kampong Cham from 146 to 280 cases, Kandal from 142 to 164 and Banteay Meanchey from 211 to 227.
https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/as ... -provinces
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

August 22, 2020
As Chikungunya rages in Cambodia, Vietnam on high alert

Cambodia has seen the re-emergence of the Chikungunya virus in 15 cities and provinces with more than 2,000 infected cases so far.

This outbreak has caused alarm in Vietnam and the administration of An Giang Province in Vietnam’s Mekong Delta has required relevant agencies to strengthen measures to prevent the Chikungunya outbreaks from entering Vietnam.

An official letter was sent to departments, agencies, and the People’s Committees of 11 districts, towns, and cities in the province on Wednesday to increase alertness and monitoring of the Chikungunya epidemic occurring in Cambodia, said An Giang vice-chairman Le Van Phuoc.

Among these localities, four share a border with Vietnam. Two of them — Kandal and Takeo Provinces — border An Giang, putting the Mekong Delta province at high risk of transmission.

Chikungunya is a viral disease transmitted to humans through infected Aedes aegypti mosquitoes, the letter mentioned, adding that its symptoms may include acute fever, severe joint pain, muscle pain, a headache, nausea, fatigue, and a rash.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50755901/a ... igh-alert/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Chikungunya Disease Outbreak in Cambodia

Cambodia News, (Banteay Meanchey): On the evening of September 7, 2020, at least 49 people, both old and young, living in O Snguot village, O'Prasat commune, Mongkul Borei district, Banteay Meanchey province, were sent by local officials to the Mongkul Borei District Referral Department for treatment with symptoms of the chikungunya virus.

The RRT Emergency Response Team, in collaboration with the Mongkul Borei OD, conducted a search and emergency response after receiving preliminary information about a suspected case of chikungunya fever in O Snguot village.

Dr. Le Chansangvat confirmed that the main symptoms found were a fever of 39-40 degrees Celsius, joint pain, muscle aches, red rashes on the skin, dizziness, nausea, etc.
There are a total of 49 symptomic patients with suspected cases of chikungunya in the village, so far. Health authorities are monitoring the outbreak for further cases.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Kandal records 35 Chikungunya cases
21 September 2020 | 23:00 ICT
The Kandal provincial Department of Health said 35 people in two villages in Dei Ith commune, Kien Svay district, had contracted chikungunya.

Meanwhile, a working team continues to take measures to prevent the disease from spreading to other villages by spraying mosquito repellent and putting the anti-dengue larvicide Abate in every house.

Kandal health department director Kuoy Bunthoeurn told The Post on Monday that from the beginning of September until September 21, there have been a series of cases of chikungunya fever.

He said that all 35 patients, who suffered from fever and rashes were living in Koh Phos and in Dei Ith villages.

Bunthoeurn said: “There were 10 suspected victims in Dei Ith village, 25 in Koh Phos village, and a few others. So far, 29 of them have recovered and only six are receiving intensive care while slowly recovering too.”
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... unya-cases

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

The chikungunya outbreak in Kandal is spreading, with 298 suspected cases.

September 28, 2020
More than 90 villagers contract Chikungunya in Kandal province

The head of Kandal provincial health department Kuy Bunthoeun said that 298 people have fallen ill in a suspected outbreak of Chikungunya in the province.

The first wave of cases was reported on Friday, as over 90 people were announced to have symptoms of the viral disease, according to the governor of Lvea Em district, Kan Sokkay.

However, Bunthoeun said that the number has since risen to 297, with 19 people hospitalised, of whom 12 are female and seven are male.

The other 279 patients displaying Chikungunya are being kept at a local pagoda hall in Lvea Em district so authorities could manage the situation and can provide assistance for the patients, he said.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50767005/m ... -province/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

If I am not mistaken this is the little buggers that can give the problem, take care and use some protection.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic