Tale of the French communists...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
neuropathic
Expatriate
Bangladesh

Re: Tale of the French communists...

Post by neuropathic »

Samouth wrote:I also went to school and i had never been taught that French is communist. It is true that France had colonized Cambodia and yes it had taken valuable things from Cambodia and was taking advantages from Cambodia like taking tax. There was a famous khmer literature about France colony. It talked about how French treated Cambodians and took advantages from us. Other things we learned at school about French colony is that France had never wanted to colonize Cambodia, but our king asked them to colonize us in other to have them protect us from Thailand and Vietnam invasion. Furthermore, we also were taught that France had cut our lower Cambodia to Vietnam, on the other hand, it had withdraw our Angkor Wat and four provinces from Thailand. Nothing about whether France is a communist country.
Correctomundo! Cambodia was in real danger of being swallowed whole by expansionist Thailand, under the especial protection of the British, and by colonialist Vietnam, who had long harboured an intention of assuming control of the entire Mekong River delta. I'm not saying that the extension of the French Protectorate over Cambodia was in all ways a positive development, yet it did help maintain Khmer sovereignty over most of what is now the Kingdom of Cambodia.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Francis wrote:No insult intended Jacket (it's an interesting story), but isn't it a sad, sobering moment when one finds out that the person one is married to is an utter idiot ??? Truth is....this is what you get when you marry a Cambodian. Sometimes I really don't understand you guys.......you are intelligent, relatively young and mostly good looking, and then out of the blue you switch off your brains and begin to think with your dicks.
God that's a sad and pathetic racist attitude. My wife speaks/reads/writes 3 languages and does math in her head faster than I can do it on a calculator. She absorbs new concepts like a sponge and is more open minded than I suspect you ever were. Your estimation of an entire people based on your experience with a few prostitutes and tuktuk drivers is beyond ignorant and illustrates that quite well.

As much as you seem to hate cambodia and cambodians based on your series of recent posts... why do you even bother posting here? Just to shit on other people because they like what you hate? If so... do us all a favor and take it somewhere else.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

francis- given you seem to hate cambodia and cambodians, and say you are unlikely to visit, why do you come on this forum?
isnt it more productive to just boil or nuke soil for your garden in the fatherland?

seems something bad must havve happened to you in cambodia.
Last edited by frank lee bent on Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

my guess: the ladyboy told him no.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Those who fail wish failure on all others.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

OrangeDragon wrote:do us all a favor and take it somewhere else.
Into the void, perhaps?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

I was on a three hour bus ride in the US and there was this American woman of Khmer descent sitting next to me talking about her recent visit to Cambodia to the people in the seats across the aisle. She was really trying to sound like an expert, but kept getting things wrong, including calling Cambodia a "communist country." I didn't end up telling any of them I had any connection to Cambodia or that I was eavesdropping on their conversation, just laughed in my head and tuned in and out for the good parts.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

MekongMouse wrote:I was on a three hour bus ride in the US and there was this American woman of Khmer descent sitting next to me talking about her recent visit to Cambodia to the people in the seats across the aisle. She was really trying to sound like an expert, but kept getting things wrong, including calling Cambodia a "communist country." I didn't end up telling any of them I had any connection to Cambodia or that I was eavesdropping on their conversation, just laughed in my head and tuned in and out for the good parts.
A lot of anti-CPP Cambodians, especially those from America and France (who are stuck firmly in the politics of the 70s and 80s) call Cambodia a 'communist county' and the government 'communist' as well, specifically Vietnamese Communist. This isn't so much a comment on the actual form of government as it is about HE (who is a former communist) and HE's government (which is formerly communist.) In this sense, it has come to mean, at least to a degree, a repressive, authoritative form of government. But you won't find them using the word to mean that in general or to other countries, but only in regard to HE's authoritative government. It is part and parcel of the opposition's (particular the overseas opposition) rather twisted formulation of current Cambodian politics. Many see the current fight between the CPP and the opposition in the same light as when they left the country in the early 80s, as a battle between the Vietnamese communist back regime and the royalists/nationalists/republicans.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

OrangeDragon wrote:
Francis wrote:No insult intended Jacket (it's an interesting story), but isn't it a sad, sobering moment when one finds out that the person one is married to is an utter idiot ??? Truth is....this is what you get when you marry a Cambodian. Sometimes I really don't understand you guys.......you are intelligent, relatively young and mostly good looking, and then out of the blue you switch off your brains and begin to think with your dicks.
God that's a sad and pathetic racist attitude. My wife speaks/reads/writes 3 languages and does math in her head faster than I can do it on a calculator. She absorbs new concepts like a sponge and is more open minded than I suspect you ever were. Your estimation of an entire people based on your experience with a few prostitutes and tuktuk drivers is beyond ignorant and illustrates that quite well.

As much as you seem to hate cambodia and cambodians based on your series of recent posts... why do you even bother posting here? Just to shit on other people because they like what you hate? If so... do us all a favor and take it somewhere else.
Nicely put OD!
Using Tapatalk
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Uncle Ho Chi Minh a devoted Communist also went to France (1919-1923) and even New York City(1912-1913) and is said by some to have studied under the great french Chef Auguste Escoffier in England. And spent 1928-1929 in Thailand. Damn Commies get around.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic