Cambodia's Tourism Banking on Domestic Tourists for 2020

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia's Tourism Banking on Domestic Tourists for 2020

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Over 310,000 Domestic Tourists Travel in First Two Weeks of July
AKP Phnom Penh, July 17, 2020 --
A total of 313,300 domestic tourists visited different tourist attractions across Cambodia in the first two weeks of July 2020.

The figure was revealed by Minister of Tourism H.E. Thong Khon on July 17, adding that the trend indicates an increase of 1.67 percent compared to the last two weeks of June.

Of the total number, 5,491 were foreign tourists, down 30.89 percent, and 307,809 were national tourists, up 2.54 percent, it pointed out.

H.E. Thong Khon expressed his optimism that the number of domestic tourists will rise again in August as people will have a long holiday (in compensation of their Khmer New Year holiday), followed by Pchum Ben holiday season in September, and more holidays in the following months, while COVID-19 situation would be better.
AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Wrightstate
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cambodia's Tourism Banking on Domestic Tourists for 2020

Post by Wrightstate »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:28 pm Over 310,000 Domestic Tourists Travel in First Two Weeks of July
AKP Phnom Penh, July 17, 2020 --
A total of 313,300 domestic tourists visited different tourist attractions across Cambodia in the first two weeks of July 2020.

The figure was revealed by Minister of Tourism H.E. Thong Khon on July 17, adding that the trend indicates an increase of 1.67 percent compared to the last two weeks of June.

Of the total number, 5,491 were foreign tourists, down 30.89 percent, and 307,809 were national tourists, up 2.54 percent, it pointed out.

H.E. Thong Khon expressed his optimism that the number of domestic tourists will rise again in August as people will have a long holiday (in compensation of their Khmer New Year holiday), followed by Pchum Ben holiday season in September, and more holidays in the following months, while COVID-19 situation would be better.
AKP
5,491 were foreign tourists, down 30.89 percent..in the first two weeks of July 2020. Wow, are there still 70% tourist numbers in the country then? Must have missed something about visas being issued somewhere...
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

My three girls travelled from Takhmau to SaAnng by minibus on Saturday , and returned on Sunday. I wonder if they will be included in the statistics for the second two weeks of July.

I bet they dont know that I now classify them as tourists .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

How long before all those in Cambodia who actually have the time and the money to travel for leisure will have seen the whole country and get bored?

Serious question. There's obviously a market for domestic tourism, but I'd guess it's quite small.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Alex wrote:How long before all those in Cambodia who actually have the time and the money to travel for leisure will have seen the whole country and get bored?

Serious question. There's obviously a market for domestic tourism, but I'd guess it's quite small.
It's a small and relatively not very diverse market as you say, but Cambodians don't really travel much to begin with, so it's constantly growing. More and more youth are getting into outdoor activities like cycling, hiking and camping for example. That's only good for the few remaining natural spots in the country.

Up until a few years ago, most Cambodians had never been to the eastern provinces, and a surprising number of elderly still haven't seen Angkor Wat. Families are increasingly venturing out of the usual "Kep/Siem Reap/Sihanoukville" trio, and also letting their youth go out on their own/with friends more than ever.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

think of the tens of millions of $$ they are missing out, on revenue from tickets to angkor park as Khmers dont pay..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Of course Richard, I agree. Domestic tourism can't compete with the spending from international tourism. But many businesses can scrape by or reposition themselves for domestic tourists. I've also always thought they should charge a nominal fee for domestic tourists anyways, just so people appreciate that conservation isn't free.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic