O dear, Protests in Bangkok

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: O dear, Protests in Bangkok

Post by Clutch Cargo »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:03 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:01 pm
KunKhmerSR wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:11 pm Obviously it's hard to make predictions right now but if these protests continue through out the year and tourism restarts around the end of the year, do you guys recon this could have a positive boost in Cambodia? People skipping Thailand and coming here straight away?
No, Cambodia will never be an alternative to Thailand, merely an add on
Richard still doing his best to slag off Cambodia at every opportunity. Luckily his type don't qualify for visas here anymore.
Indeed, yet he plans to resettle here with his khmer GF in Kep ASAP when the borders open again. The big question then will be...will we hear endless comparisons of Cambodia vs Thailand, Kep vs Phuket? And how much better Phuket was?
TipsyJayhawk
Tourist

Post by TipsyJayhawk »

The political protests in Thailand don’t really affect tourists they don’t occur where tourists go.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

TipsyJayhawk wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:20 pm The political protests in Thailand don’t really affect tourists they don’t occur where tourists go.

Au contraire mon ami.They seem to occur in the central areas where most tourists go:

Silence, exile, and cunning.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

TipsyJayhawk wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:20 pm The political protests in Thailand don’t really affect tourists they don’t occur where tourists go.
What JB said. They've always hit tourist spots. I've walked through them several times on Sukhumvit, and didn't they even storm the airport 10+ years ago?
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

siliconlife wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:47 pmWhat JB said. They've always hit tourist spots. I've walked through them several times on Sukhumvit, and didn't they even storm the airport 10+ years ago?
Oh no! The yellow royalist shirts! What a scary bunch.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

yong wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:42 am
siliconlife wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:47 pmWhat JB said. They've always hit tourist spots. I've walked through them several times on Sukhumvit, and didn't they even storm the airport 10+ years ago?
You mean irritating, right? Scattering their nicknacks for sale all over the pavements and then yelling at you when you step over them, or blowing on shrieking whistles all at the same time, etc.

Still, at least it's nice to see people a bit passionate about their politics.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

siliconlife wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:15 am
yong wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:42 am
You mean irritating, right? Scattering their nicknacks for sale all over the pavements and then yelling at you when you step over them, or blowing on shrieking whistles all at the same time, etc.

Still, at least it's nice to see people a bit passionate about their politics.
I've yet to discern a political doctrine in Thailand other than total financial self interest for those running the show. While Thaksin looted the country he did at least introduce a social medical scheme for the less fortunate. For me the Yellow shirts represent everything that is wrong with the country.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:59 am I've yet to discern a political doctrine in Thailand other than total financial self interest for those running the show. While Thaksin looted the country he did at least introduce a social medical scheme for the less fortunate. For me the Yellow shirts represent everything that is wrong with the country.
I didn't mean to refer to any specific group or value in Thailand (although I see now how it came across), only referring to the protesters themselves, red or yellow. I was comparing it to some countries I've lived in, Australia for example where most people don't even care, and the ones who do talk a lot, but never commit to any action when it comes to politics. I agree with you about the yellow shirts, actually.
Strawberryshake
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Strawberryshake »

Weirdly enough there is here more info about these thai protests then on the thaivisa forum website..
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

^ Less censorship here, TV is a joke.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic