Khmer-American Woman Sought After Escaping Quarantine in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Khmer-American Woman Sought After Escaping Quarantine in Cambodia

Post by Doc67 »

Oumedc wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:53 pm I can not believe that two US diplomats did not test before leaving,,,,, and put others is grave danger plus lose money
Will the US embassy pick up the tab for everyone as they sent two infected diplomats into another country?

I read somewhere they don't need to go into quarantine, despite being the source of the problem, they are permitted to isolate with the embassy.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Oumedc wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:53 pm I can not believe that two US diplomats did not test before leaving,,,,, and put others is grave danger plus lose money
------------

Not only that but how are they at the US Embassy instead of the hospital like everyone else that tests positive?

Truly pathetic. How could the State Department be allowing any employees to return to their postings without being tested - regardless of country?

I'd point out these people left Cambodia in March and have been "working remotely" at full pay since then. And now they can't even use common sense?

If I were the ambassador I'd send them off to the hospital myself. No special treatment. And then when they get released I'd fire them for being stupid.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:50 am
Will the US embassy pick up the tab for everyone as they sent two infected diplomats into another country?

I read somewhere they don't need to go into quarantine, despite being the source of the problem, they are permitted to isolate with the embassy.
Here: newsworthy/information-coronavirus-camb ... ml#p435761
The other two cases are American nationals who are senior diplomatic officers. They also arrived in Cambodia on July 15 from the U.S. but via South Korea. They were tested positive on July 16. They are now at separate rooms in the U.S. Embassy in Phnom Penh
The other passengers of different nationalities with COVID-19 negative test were put in 14-day quarantine.
Presumably because they are diplomatic staff, the two US nationals were not required to have covid tests before the flight. Now, because of these two US diplomats, a whole plane of people who tested negative have been put in 14-day quarantine.
Meanwhile the Americans have a room at the US Embassy.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Rtrac wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:34 pm What about caring about your community and your family? One would think that being allowed to visit Cambodia (we are not native Khmer with Cambodian passports after all), we should realize that we are guests in the country. It is generally recognized that we show extra respect that is due by following customs and laws. I would not be surprised that we of foreign origins will not be given the freedom to "come and go" and the Cambodian government will impose restrictions as a result. This lady sickens me. She and all like her who take for granted that she is permitted to visit Cambodia need a severe and swift wake up call!
I'm not sure what you are on about, the woman is Cambodian.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:29 am

The other two cases are American nationals who are senior diplomatic officers. They also arrived in Cambodia on July 15 from the U.S. but via South Korea. They were tested positive on July 16. They are now at separate rooms in the U.S. Embassy in Phnom Penh
The other passengers of different nationalities with COVID-19 negative test were put in 14-day quarantine.
Presumably because they are diplomatic staff, the two US nationals were not required to have covid tests before the flight. Now, because of these two US diplomats, a whole plane of people who tested negative have been put in 14-day quarantine.
If I was on that plane and now stuck in quarantine as a result, I would be posting some very angry material on here and amusing myself the rest of day sending hate mail and abusive phone calls to the American embassy.

The Cambodian authorities must be very pissed of with them and with good reason.
PHofer
BANNED
Switzerland

Post by PHofer »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:40 am

If I was on that plane and now stuck in quarantine as a result, I would be posting some very angry material on here and amusing myself the rest of day sending hate mail and abusive phone calls to the American embassy.

The Cambodian authorities must be very pissed of with them and with good reason.
They may not know before they have virus.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:Meanwhile the Americans have a room at the US Embassy.
People have every right to be angry at the embassy.
But as the article points out, there aren’t ordinary Americans, but senior embassy staff.

With a lot secrets in their heads. That can’t be let out in public. A lot can happen in 14 days.

So then there two options to keep all the secrets from leaking out.

Assassinate then.

Or confine them to the US Embassy.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

PHofer wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:55 am

I am sure they didn't. That's because they never bothered to get a test before they flew here. And from a country where the virus is out of control. Selfish and irresponsible behaviour that has brought their country into disrepute.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:35 am
Rtrac wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:34 pm What about caring about your community and your family? One would think that being allowed to visit Cambodia (we are not native Khmer with Cambodian passports after all), we should realize that we are guests in the country. It is generally recognized that we show extra respect that is due by following customs and laws. I would not be surprised that we of foreign origins will not be given the freedom to "come and go" and the Cambodian government will impose restrictions as a result. This lady sickens me. She and all like her who take for granted that she is permitted to visit Cambodia need a severe and swift wake up call!
I'm not sure what you are on about, the woman is Cambodian.
She was born in Cambodia according to her US passport but I wonder what affinity she has with Cambodia as she has US citizenship and maybe she's lived there all her life? Unknown... If she had a Cambodian passport I would have thought she would've used that as returning khmers can bypass the mandatory quarantine at a gov't facility and self quarantine at their home (or at least that's my understanding).
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:00 pm
PHofer wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:55 am

I am sure they didn't. That's because they never bothered to get a test before they flew here. And from a country where the virus is out of control. Selfish and irresponsible behaviour that has brought their country into disrepute.
Did the article state they embassy staff wasn’t tested prior to boarding the aircraft?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic