as simple as... potting soil

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
potty
Expatriate

as simple as... potting soil

Post by potty »

where to buy that in PP ?

also the planting pots from plastic

or bigger pots from plastic...

perhaps you could ask your wife where to get that here ?

tia
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: as simple as... potting soil

Post by Username Taken »

Depends where you are potty.

You'll see places around selling plants, they usually sell potting mix, guano, etc.

Adjacent to Boeung Trabek pumping station, St. 271 (small place)
On the main road going towards the airport (big places)
Chrouy Changvar (big places)
Small place behing Russian Hospital, St. 271 (small)
and so many more . . .

:hattip:
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

potty soil
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

thanks!

str 271 is pretty much airport already...

but the big places near Japanese friendship bridge (Chrouy Changvar)... :unknown:
hmm... I have been around there, and there is really none. neither on the PP site nor on the island-site...

where are they supposed to be?
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

In the city there are a few scattered plant shops, the best known being on the east side of the Central Market.

For a bigger selection, as well as larger plants, there are nurseries along every national road heading out of the city, usually between 1 and 5 kilometres outside the city limits.

There are many shops that specialize in pots and pot plates on Street 163 near Olympic Market.
Most shops will deliver your plants, pots and soil to your house, and even up the stairs to your flat.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/real-estat ... round-home

east of central market - they have plants, a few, but no soil - when I asked.
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

They do have soil.....they always had. Just show them a picture (of soil) or the Cambodian word for it on your phone and things will work out. Soil is usually offerd in old cement sacks (look out for it).........don't forget to sterilize the soil once you are at home, because traditionally they are selling all kind of shit and you'll find whole hives of ants or whatever in it. Preferably use a microwave oven for that (if you got one......yes, this takes time....plate by plate, and it smells terribly) or just boil it for 15 minutes in a pott.
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Francis wrote:They do have soil.....they always had. Just show them a picture (of soil) or the Cambodian word for it on your phone and things will work out. Soil is usually offerd in old cement sacks (look out for it).........don't forget to sterilize the soil once you are at home, because traditionally they are selling all kind of shit and you'll find whole hives of ants or whatever in it. Preferably use a microwave oven for that (if you got one......yes, this takes time....plate by plate, and it smells terribly) or just boil it for 15 minutes in a pott.

There is a big difference between soil and potting mix,,,,, The dirt you yet in bags at the plant shop is usually taken from the bottom of ponds when they are dry and it may contain all sorts of contaminants including plastic bags etc, from my experience of my previous purchases.... Potting mix is made up from a mix of materials that hold the moisture [ peat ] and material like scoria or pumis that help with drainage and has fertilizer that will not burn the tender root of a plant and has a ph level of ??.
Just ask at those plant shops what the ph level is of the dirt in the bags and they will look at you with a blank look in their eyes. Ask them for lime or dolomite and they will show you a orange/lime tree .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Here you go potty.

This is the one going out toward the airport. First link is Streetview, second link is Google Maps.

https://www.google.com.kh/maps/@11.5626 ... 0RqYRw!2e0

https://www.google.com.kh/maps/place/Co ... 00d6048ef4

And this one at Chroy Changvar. Assuming it's still there.

https://www.google.com.kh/maps/@11.5887 ... cRRz4g!2e0

https://www.google.com.kh/maps/place/Ly ... 9159fd7606

:D

And, as Francis said, the mix is in old cement sacks. Can't say I've heard of anyone having to boil or microwave their soil though.
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

Username Taken wrote:And, as Francis said, the mix is in old cement sacks. Can't say I've heard of anyone having to boil or microwave their soil though.
Tiaaaaa, my dear friend….this is because you are no gardener :-). In order to get good or better results you should sterilize soil.
Soil can be contaminated with insects, micro organisms (bacteria, viruses, fungi) and toxins and toxicants.
For this reason I suggest to mircrowave and boil the soil (yes….it’s crazy work). Microwaving soil kills off any organism, esp. fungi are usually difficult to kill, but luckily they don’t like radiation.
This of course doesn’t reduce the amount of toxins and toxicants in the soil (and you can bet that this Cambodian shit is loaded with poisons……..I wouldn’t grow my tomatoes in that stuff). Therefore –as a second step- you should boil the soil…….that at least reduces the amount of toxins.

Here’s a linky: http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden- ... g-soil.htm

Happy gardening, now !!!!!
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Francis wrote:this is because you are no gardener
nothing could be further from the truth, my dear friend. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic