Chicken Farmer Gets 30 Years for Murder by Electric Fence

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Chicken Farmer Gets 30 Years for Murder by Electric Fence

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

July 17, 2020
Farmer jailed over fatal electrocution
Buth Reaksmey Kongkea / Khmer Times

Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday sentenced an ethnic Vietnamese farmer to 30 years in prison over the murder of a Cambodian man who was killed while saving a boy from being electrocuted by anti-theft wiring at a chicken farm in Russey Keo district in 2017.

Presiding Judge Le Sokha, identified the convict as Try Phorn, 51, who owned the chicken farm in Chraing Chamres II commune’s K1 Village.

He identified the victim as Duong Savorn, 46, a farmer who lived in the same village.

Judge Sokha said Phorn was charged with “premeditated murder” under Article 200 of the Criminal Code.

“The court has decided to convict and sentence the accused Try Phorn to 30 years in prison,” Judge Sokha said in the verdict. “The court ordered him to pay 40 million riels [ about $10,000] in compensation to the victim’s wife, Chhorn Rieng, 40, who is the plaintiff in this case.”

He added that the convict was arrested on April 3, 2017.

Deputy prosecutor Sok Keobandith said that Phorn owned a chicken farm in a Vietnamese community located in the commune and the victim lived nearby.

He said in order to stop people from stealing his chickens, the convict electrified the fence surrounding his farm.

Keobandith said several children living in the area who tried to enter through the fence to pass through the farm in the past had suffered shocks but were not injured seriously.

He said Phorn continuously ignored police warnings to stop electrifying his fence.

Keobandith said at about 1.30 pm on April 2, 2017, a 10-year-old Vietnamese boy tried to enter through the fence to play at the accused’s farm and received jolts of electricity, causing him to shout out for help.

He said the victim, who was passing by after having a bath in the river, rescued the boy before he suffered a fatal electric shock due to his body being wet.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50745560/f ... trocution/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Chicken Farmer Gets 30 Years for Murder by Electric Fence

Post by Phnom Poon »

are electric fences fatal, i thought they were only 12v?
or did he just connect the 220v supply?

monstra mihi bona!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

They can be very strong or weak, depending on setting.

Usually (I think) it's high voltage but fuck all amperage.

Always had one when I was a kid. You learned not to fuck around too much, but the shock was inconsequential.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

On a school trip (maybe 11yo?) we went to a typical British village church and there was an electric fence to control the lawnmowers (sheep).

Our teacher joined everyone up and at each end got the last two pupils to touch the fence.

Lol. Hilarity.

Now. Sacked!
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

It does seem strange that a fully grown man would die from electrocution and not the kid, but supposedly it was because he was wet.

Also seems strange (to me) that the chicken farmer was sentenced for premeditated murder, when its sounds like it was an accident (from the OP). Even if it was the guy's fault for putting up the fence, that's an unusually harsh conviction and sentence.

So, as often with Cambodian news, there's probably more to this story. The death and the arrest occurred in 2017. I presume that someone else has taken over the chicken farm or the land since then.
At least the wife of the deceased got some compensation.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:53 pm It does seem strange that a fully grown man would die from electrocution and not the kid, but supposedly it was because he was wet.
Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday sentenced an ethnic Vietnamese farmer
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:53 pm It does seem strange that a fully grown man would die from electrocution and not the kid, but supposedly it was because he was wet.

Also seems strange (to me) that the chicken farmer was sentenced for premeditated murder, when its sounds like it was an accident (from the OP). Even if it was the guy's fault for putting up the fence, that's an unusually harsh conviction and sentence.

So, as often with Cambodian news, there's probably more to this story. The death and the arrest occurred in 2017. I presume that someone else has taken over the chicken farm or the land since then.
If i recall the case it was rigged up to either a powerful car battery or a the mains, a rudimentary build and certainly not a low voltage one. Of course the fact that he is "ethnic Vietnamese" had no bearing on the sentence 'm sure.....
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:41 pm

If i recall the case it was rigged up to either a powerful car battery or a the mains, a rudimentary build and certainly not a low voltage one. Of course the fact that he is "ethnic Vietnamese" had no bearing on the sentence 'm sure.....
An agricultural electric fence can deliver thousands of volts too - but it's a millisecond pulse.

A live to mains permanently electrified fence is another matter entirely.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:04 pm
A live to mains permanently electrified fence is another matter entirely.
I think that's what is often done. They just rig up a connection between the mains and the wire fence. The sentence seems rather harsh.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Maybe he used the same electrician as the guy who killed himself recently with his own electric fence.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic