Do you have more sympathy for poor females?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Do you have more sympathy for poor females?

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Khmu Nation wrote:No I don't.
Same. I don't see why it would make a difference.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Austman »

Cant help my self ..... If I see a woman sitting on the concrete with a baby with no nappy ( it maybe a good ploy) I waste a little time and buy a nappy or two and get some food " I won't or very rarely do I give cash" I have even been up shitpan alley many many times opposite soya mall and purchased $1 or 5000 riel meal and a tea for 500 riel for the girls. With the men I think i can't feed the world and very rarely would i buy some food for them. knowing there is very little or no opportunities for people in this country AND DEFINITELY no social security! I dont know why?
My wife said to get one of those pills that'll give me a huge hard on for hours! I brought her back some diet pills, Now I am hiding out in Cambodia for a few years until she calms down!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

One thing I do single the males out for- there are several multiple amputees that work their way around riverside. I make a point of getting the kids to give them a dollar/few thousand Riels. Specifically, they (kids) need to take a moment to think how different their lives might be if they had the same challenges.

At first, they don’t get it, but slowly they’re coming to realise a grumpy bastard.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

I don't give money to beggars because i don't believe small money makes any difference to the person's condition, and i don't like the routine side of it.
Women holding a baby get nothing from me, as in SEA it's about the milk scam, and as in France it's mostly Romanians women using babies as a tool too. They all can go fuck themselves for what i care.

But as a non-religious person, i find it more funny to create "miracles", from time to time, when i'm in indonesia.
I then go to a non-touristic / non- interesting area where westerners are rarely seen wandering around, and when i spot a couple of ederly folks living alone, in a modest but clean wooden house, with no descent around, then i park my bike, go salute them, and ask if everything is ok for them. They always say yes, and invite me inside to drink a tea.
We chat a bit or a lot, and then when we're on the verge to separate, i ask if i can help a bit. They usually are reluctant to say so, but otherwise than a straight "no thanks", it always mean "God i don't know if i may, but yes we're indeed a bit tight on day-to-day life", except they almost never say it loud and clear.
I then flash a enveloppe (already prepared) with around 60-70$ (1.000.000 IDR) and put it in their hands, salute and go.

The last look on their faces is priceless.

I don't do it so often (2 or 3 times a year tops), but i know it will be well used, and is significant enough to be remembered.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

It depends on a case by case basis it is a bit of a broad question to ask if one has more or less sympathy for anyone. However if I were to look at it objectively and indeed academically it can be said, and evidenced, that historically and culturally females, especially in Cambodia have often had fewer opportunities due to being forced to leave education earlier - if allowed to access at all (e.g. a son may be allowed to finish to grade 11 but a girl statistacally would be lucky to make it past grade 5 in a poor household) take on supportive roles around "traditional roles" e.g. housekeeping, start employment earlier, a higher risk of being exploited, trafficked, forced marriage, unplanned pregnancy etc. and denied many other chances in life that can lead to further inequalities and an increased chance of poverty. So yes I do probably have more sympathy, but that said, I have a huge amount of sympathy for anyone in poverty or afflicted by the many inequalities in this world.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

angkorjohn2 are you ripping on some of my crappy anal academic wannabee entries? or? do tell PM plz
Oumedc
Expatriate

Post by Oumedc »

Ghostwriter wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:51 pm I don't give money to beggars because i don't believe small money makes any difference to the person's condition, and i don't like the routine side of it.
Women holding a baby get nothing from me, as in SEA it's about the milk scam, and as in France it's mostly Romanians women using babies as a tool too. They all can go fuck themselves for what i care.

But as a non-religious person, i find it more funny to create "miracles", from time to time, when i'm in indonesia.
I then go to a non-touristic / non- interesting area where westerners are rarely seen wandering around, and when i spot a couple of ederly folks living alone, in a modest but clean wooden house, with no descent around, then i park my bike, go salute them, and ask if everything is ok for them. They always say yes, and invite me inside to drink a tea.
We chat a bit or a lot, and then when we're on the verge to separate, i ask if i can help a bit. They usually are reluctant to say so, but otherwise than a straight "no thanks", it always mean "God i don't know if i may, but yes we're indeed a bit tight on day-to-day life", except they almost never say it loud and clear.
I then flash a enveloppe (already prepared) with around 60-70$ (1.000.000 IDR) and put it in their hands, salute and go.

The last look on their faces is priceless.

I don't do it so often (2 or 3 times a year tops), but i know it will be well used, and is significant enough to be remembered.
From the haert
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Austman »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:47 pm One thing I do single the males out for- there are several multiple amputees that work their way around riverside. I make a point of getting the kids to give them a dollar/few thousand Riels. Specifically, they (kids) need to take a moment to think how different their lives might be if they had the same challenges.

At first, they don’t get it, but slowly they’re coming to realise a grumpy bastard.

yes I do similar with the amputees, Give a little. There is one older gentleman that hangs out riverside near the exercise area he has had both legs removed, or blown off by land mines, he sits there with a set of scales. I am sure he thinks I am "mad" as i weight myself just about everyday for 500 or 1000 riel.
My wife said to get one of those pills that'll give me a huge hard on for hours! I brought her back some diet pills, Now I am hiding out in Cambodia for a few years until she calms down!
Kohker
BANNED
Austria

Post by Kohker »

Austman wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:40 pm
Freightdog wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:47 pm One thing I do single the males out for- there are several multiple amputees that work their way around riverside. I make a point of getting the kids to give them a dollar/few thousand Riels. Specifically, they (kids) need to take a moment to think how different their lives might be if they had the same challenges.

yes I do similar with the amputees, Give a little. There is one older gentleman that hangs out riverside near the exercise area he has had both legs removed, or blown off by land mines, he sits there with a set of scales. I am sure he thinks I am "mad" as i weight myself just about everyday for 500 or 1000 riel.
There was an old guy in shitsville and Phnom Penh years ago with both his arms missing and his chest covered in scar's, I always felt sorry for him until I found out he was a Khmer rouge bomb Maker, after not so much.
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Austman »

Kohker wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:50 pm
Austman wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:40 pm

There was an old guy in shitsville and Phnom Penh years ago with both his arms missing and his chest covered in scar's, I always felt sorry for him until I found out he was a Khmer rouge bomb Maker, after not so much.
Good point i hadn't thought of that!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic