List of streets with one shopping focus

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kimbodia
Tourist
United States of America

List of streets with one shopping focus

Post by Kimbodia »

Hi, you know how PP has various streets or areas with all Moto's, or all furniture, or all bicycles...they group together clusters of stores all selling the same thing (don't know now what to call this).

Is there a good list anywhere that has all these areas listed? Or mapped?

I've searched in vain, thanks for any help.

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: List of streets with one shopping focus

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Interesting project, and a good idea. There are a ton of such streets though, so will take a while. I'll try to contribute a bit once I get some time, but in the meantime do you have a specific thing you're looking for?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I actually toyed with this idea once. Google Maps, but showing 'clusters' of like businesses.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-cr ... ogle-maps/

Can you call it Phnom Penh Clusterfuck? You're welcome.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kimbodia
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Kimbodia »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Interesting project, and a good idea. There are a ton of such streets though, so will take a while. I'll try to contribute a bit once I get some time, but in the meantime do you have a specific thing you're looking for?
Right now I'm personally looking for a light backpack for some weekend trips. But I notice these clusters and think a list would be great.

The Russian market seems to have bags & luggage, but I remember a street with it, but can't remember where.

I know there's a big Moto area on 274 between Monivong and 163.

And household small appliances on 274 against the wall of the Olympic Stadium.

There's my starting contribution...

Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Kimbodia wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:31 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Interesting project, and a good idea. There are a ton of such streets though, so will take a while. I'll try to contribute a bit once I get some time, but in the meantime do you have a specific thing you're looking for?
Right now I'm personally looking for a light backpack for some weekend trips. But I notice these clusters and think a list would be great.

The Russian market seems to have bags & luggage, but I remember a street with it, but can't remember where.

I know there's a big Moto area on 274 between Monivong and 163.

And household small appliances on 274 against the wall of the Olympic Stadium.

There's my starting contribution...

Here is my tip on buying a backpack. The top of the straps should be one continuous strap attached to the bag, not two separate ones like in the bottom pic

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Streets 136 and 104 have mostly a one shopping focus :beer3:

@Kimbodia As for backpacks there is an excellent shop on street 432 - Siv Heng Bag Shop they have a massive range and all good value and quality (despite, I suspect not all being genuine)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Bit like when you're going along the highways then come across lots of shacks on both sides all selling the same stuff,like corn , potatoes,frogs etc , strange why they are all together like that, do they share the profits?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Kimbodia
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Kimbodia »

As to why Cambodians group together shops...I think it's a similar idea to a mall, create a destination and more people will go there.

In the USA we do have a few categories that do this, the most notable being automobiles. Most cities have a big area with nothing but car dealerships. People want to be able to go there and easily check out the 3-4 models their interested in. In San Diego we have the National City Mile of Cars... literally a mile of car dealerships on both sides of the street.

Probably a good way to compile this list is to ask locals who probably have many of these stored in their head.

Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Kimbodia wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:54 pm As to why Cambodians group together shops
it's a well-known phenomenon, there are several causal factors

with cambodia, the puzzle is prolific copycat businesses

someone opens a phone shop
a month later the entire street is phone shops

monstra mihi bona!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

It makes sense if they are also selling different products in the same category. Or if stuff is handmade originals.

But exactly the same product? Like the 5-6 pharmacies right next to each other’s selling exactly the same stuff? I still have problems wrapping my head around it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic