Has anyone been military officer of FFL?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SiemReapRoddy
Expatriate
Equatorial Guinea

Has anyone been military officer of FFL?

Post by SiemReapRoddy »

Just wondering because times are bleak and need to keep opportunities open ha.

Joking not joking.

Anyone from 3 services reply because apperently I've got enough for interview at least.

How was your time?

P.S. Can't believe you can join the FFL before your 39 BDay.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Has anyone been military officer of FFL?

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

How old are you? I don't think you should consider it unless under 28.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

SiemReapRoddy wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:35 am Just wondering because times are bleak and need to keep opportunities open ha.

Joking not joking.

Anyone from 3 services reply because apperently I've got enough for interview at least.

How was your time?

P.S. Can't believe you can join the FFL before your 39 BDay.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

I am not the officer you are looking for - all the officers are French. I have always had huge admiration for the French Foreign Legion. My impression is that they are the toughest and best soldiers in the world. I always liked the story about when they did an obstacle course with the US Marines: the Marines did the course in 45 minutes, the Legionnaires did it in 15.

Assuming you are pretty young and fit, I think if you were able to find your way to France from Cambodia (or Equatorial Guinea), legally or illegally, in current circumstances then they would accept you instantly out of admiration for your resourcefulness.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I was in the french foreign legion (2eme Rep) .

What do you want to know?
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Dien Bien Phu - the last battle of the Waffen SS. Plus a couple of colonial wars, including Algeria. Great tradition.

I m grateful to the VPA to clean up that pile of shit properly.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

There are a few FFL retirees living in Cambodia. You might be surprised who they are as they never bring it up.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Pizzalover wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:13 pm Dien Bien Phu - the last battle of the Waffen SS. Plus a couple of colonial wars, including Algeria. Great tradition.

I m grateful to the VPA to clean up that pile of shit properly.
Have you read Devil's Guard? It's a fictional account of the SS in Indochina fighting for the legion. Good taken with a pinch of salt.

Many of the legion songs are ex German military songs including La Legion Marche which is the 2eme Rep song and was formally an SS song.

The other famous legion battle is Camerone. Another total hammering. Same as Dien Bien Phu

:lol:
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Met a former Legionnaire that ended up serving in the US military as a consultant.

Nice guy. Super polite and respectful. But kept his time in the Legion close to the vest.

He said he could still feel the sand blowing over half his face at times.

Knew it was completely in his head. Chalked it up to PTSD.

But he could still feel it nonetheless.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic