Today ISP
No votes

Total votes: 3
rockyboy612
Expatriate
Philippines

Ranking Internet Service Providers 2020

Post by rockyboy612 »

I've been trying out different providers in the past 2 years, no one in the entire internet has given an unbiased ranking of ISPs, articles I see are mostly sponsored by one of them. Does anyone have any Ranking on them, I've only tried a few.

1. MekongNet - honestly neverheard of them till last year, their prices are right up the same as ezecom and online, horrible ping at mobile legends, outstanding at Dota 2 and Netflix. Currently using them, occasionally they call to refresh my IP for some reason (they say its maintenance), a few friends have bad luck with them as they mostly use underground fiber tend to get cut by the wonderful road construction people. Surprisingly never had any slow issues with them, and their tech support is so far the best (if you can get passed the language barrier).

2. Cooltel (not sure if its the right name) - the first internet provider I had when I arrived. They had this wireless plug and play router, I think it was running on 4G but I never needed to top up. It was slow like 2Mbps to 3Mbps but never had any complete failures.

3. Online - most of the apartments I've been with for some reason use them, they are usually shared for the entire building so connection flickers up and down depending if someone in the building is doing educational research :wink:

4. OpenNet - cheap, really fast support, super fast install, but tech support not trained enough to answer a NAS related problem and they could never get my registered name right, it always takes 30mins to an hour to find my account

5. SINET and EZECOM - super expensive, my previous workplace has them both 1 as a back up line. Later on I realized both their tech support we're lying about the speed should be Upload + Download for the total speed we purchased, meaning if we bought 20Mbps, expect 10Mbps download and 10Mbps upload - which was a lie, just to brush my complaint of slow speed. They suppose to be premium services but my experience says otherwise.

6. SingMeng and Digi - SingMeng straight up ignored me when they heard I want internet connection for home (I went to their HQ at toul kork), Digi - i haven't personally used them yet but they seem horrible based on the stories I've heard, I think they joined with Sing Meng recently.

i know there are other providers like Today, Internet Home, Smart, Metfone, NTC, Y5Net and Maxbit but I've never used them.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: Ranking Internet Service Providers 2020

Post by rogerrabbit »

rockyboy612 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:24 pm I've been trying out different providers in the past 2 years, no one in the entire internet has given an unbiased ranking of ISPs, articles I see are mostly sponsored by one of them. Does anyone have any Ranking on them, I've only tried a few.

1. MekongNet - honestly neverheard of them till last year, their prices are right up the same as ezecom and online, horrible ping at mobile legends, outstanding at Dota 2 and Netflix. Currently using them, occasionally they call to refresh my IP for some reason (they say its maintenance), a few friends have bad luck with them as they mostly use underground fiber tend to get cut by the wonderful road construction people. Surprisingly never had any slow issues with them, and their tech support is so far the best (if you can get passed the language barrier).

2. Cooltel (not sure if its the right name) - the first internet provider I had when I arrived. They had this wireless plug and play router, I think it was running on 4G but I never needed to top up. It was slow like 2Mbps to 3Mbps but never had any complete failures.

3. Online - most of the apartments I've been with for some reason use them, they are usually shared for the entire building so connection flickers up and down depending if someone in the building is doing educational research :wink:

4. OpenNet - cheap, really fast support, super fast install, but tech support not trained enough to answer a NAS related problem and they could never get my registered name right, it always takes 30mins to an hour to find my account

5. SINET and EZECOM - super expensive, my previous workplace has them both 1 as a back up line. Later on I realized both their tech support we're lying about the speed should be Upload + Download for the total speed we purchased, meaning if we bought 20Mbps, expect 10Mbps download and 10Mbps upload - which was a lie, just to brush my complaint of slow speed. They suppose to be premium services but my experience says otherwise.

6. SingMeng and Digi - SingMeng straight up ignored me when they heard I want internet connection for home (I went to their HQ at toul kork), Digi - i haven't personally used them yet but they seem horrible based on the stories I've heard, I think they joined with Sing Meng recently.

i know there are other providers like Today, Internet Home, Smart, Metfone, NTC, Y5Net and Maxbit but I've never used them.
Only thing you could rank is their customer service as the speed and all technical stuff depends so much on your location. North of Phnom Penh provider X service might work perfectly when in southern PP same provider's connection is slow and unstable.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Great ranking. I've been using OpenNet since they started. I also have Metfone in the countryside and it's actually ok. A friend and some family members use Smart 5G and like it a lot. I'm surprised by the SINET gripe as I was strongly thinking about switching to them as Opennet has gone downhill imo. I know a few people who use them and they have nothing but good reports. I was thinking of their 40MB line, but it's quite pricey. A bit disappointing if it's 20 up and 20 down vs a true 40MB down. I also wonder if it's truly MB or Mbps.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I've used both Opennet and Digi. Opennet has gone downhill but still mostly reliable (although they have many IP addresses on blocklists which can cause many sites not to load). Take into account you end up paying about $10/mo with the free months when you pay for 5 get 8. You get what you pay for.

Haven't used Digi for a few years now, so I don't know how they've fared since their tie up with SingMeng.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Some readers may be interested in my experience with Sing Meng in Siem Reap. I originally signed with them in 2017 for their internet + TV package. For the 1st 2 years they were fine with no complaints at all. Since February 2020 however they had no less than four outages each lasting from 3-6 days. No offer of discount. The last outage went on for a week but in the meantime I decided to sign with another provider. I returned the equipment to Sing Meng but they refused to refund the equipment deposit of $65 - consequently I refused to give them their equipment.

Now I have signed with Wicam for 15 mbps unlimited for $16 per month (6 months plus 1 free month) plus $40 deposit for equipment. No charge for installing fibre optic cable and equipment. If I had signed for 2 years it would have been $12 per month. I have checked line speed and it is in fact the promised 15 mbps.

Bottom line is I absolutely do not recommend Sing Meng and so far so good with Wicam.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic