Out of Work South African Woman Teacher Sent to Deportation in Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Out of Work South African Woman Teacher Sent to Deportation in Siem Reap

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Siem Reap): On July 8, 2020, at 3:30 pm, a 51-year-old woman, CAROL ANNE BRADY, a South African national, was arrested for living illegally in Steung Thmie village, Sangkat Svay Dong Kom, Siem Reap.

The South African woman came to Cambodia in 2015 through Phnom Penh International Airport. She went to live in Siem Reap and worked as an English teacher. Apparently, she said that her passport was sent to Phnom Penh to renew her visa, but she didn't have any confirmation documents to verify this. She also didn't have money to pay for her daily food.

The foreign woman has been sent to the Department of Deportation of the Immigration Department in Siem Reap to follow the legal procedure.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Out of Work South African Woman Teacher Sent to Deportation in Siem Reap

Post by Alex »

They don't hold hands with female deportees, apparently.

On a more serious note. Sad story, I wonder how many more unemployed teachers there are who are awaiting the same fate.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

WATCH | SA citizens stranded in Cambodia beg to be repatriated
09 July 2020 - 11:43 By Unathi Nkanjeni

A group of SA teachers stranded in Cambodia, Asia, is pleading to be repatriated.

The group said they have been without salaries since March after the country went into lockdown and schools are only expected to reopen later this year.

The group, through a crowdfunding page, is asking for anything from R1 to help raise funds for a possible repatriation flight to get them home. So far, the group has raised just R4,473.

“Many South Africans have been left stranded and jobless, and that is putting it quite lightly,” said the group on the page.

“Schools closed down and some of us are still lucky to be earning 25% of their salary, which essentially is not enough to get by in a foreign country with no help from family, close relatives, or our government for that matter.

“We are all now asking for your help to donate to us so that we can get one last repatriation flight out of the country and come home.

“Due to the financial constraints that have befallen on some, they cannot pay for a repatriation flight back home, with your help, you can help us come home,” the group added.
https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south- ... patriated/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Troubled times for South Africans in Cambodia:

South Africans Stranded in Cambodia
Fundraising campaign by Mare Botha
https://gogetfunding.com/south-africans ... -cambodia/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/312294222471571/
Last edited by CEOCambodiaNews on Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

That must suck - having to beg to get back to a country you likely couldn't wait to get out of in the first place. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
jenny.marshall
Tourist

Post by jenny.marshall »

Those dates are incorrect.
This lady flew in to SR early May 2017
I wonder if any of the schools that she worked at will have some documentation that may help her.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

Would be interesting to hear whether people have actually been leaving in the past few weeks. With the increasing number of flights and stories of people actually having made it back here recently, I wonder if some of the “stuck” or financially destitute folks that are frequently mentioned in this forum are using those return flights to get home.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

It's absolutely heartbreaking.
I wish I could help and support everyone but it's just not possible :(
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

With the shutdowns continuing, there are going to be a lot of people all over the world in desperate financial situations.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

With a large number of people in the same situation, it becomes too difficult to help them all.

If there was just one, and they looked hard, and got lucky, they may find a Cambodian family they could work with. They could offer to help with their work, then see if they can stay with the family, and get meals from the family. There would be Cambodian families somewhere who would take them in. It is just difficult to know which families would be happy to do that. For example:

People grow tobacco. They harvest it from the farm. Then they remove the large stems. Then they put it in a machine which cuts it into fine strips. It is then laid out on mats to dry in the sun. One issue is, tobacco harvesting is seasonal, not continuous.

People grow mushrooms. There are 2 different types of mushrooms, and 2 completely different methods of growing them. A lot of work needs to be done during planting. The best time to harvest mushrooms is 3 am, so they can have fresh mushrooms for sale in the market when it opens.

There are factories which send work to be done in people's homes. For example, a lot of people do sewing at home. However, if another person came along, they may need another sewing machine.

There are people who put cigarettes into packets at home.

Someone who could repair bicycles, could offer to help at a bicycle shop.

It would probably not be difficult to get construction work. Normally accommodation is provided.

There are many different types of work people do. If someone was to find the right Cambodian family, there would probably be people who would take them in, if they helped with the work.

It would be ideal to get a salary, so people have some control over their own lives.

I have also wondered, if a foreigner went to a temple, explained they had no money, and asked if they could live at the temple, would they welcome them. At some temples, they probably would.

A big challenge is, many of these people don't speak the language, which would make things more difficult.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic