Out of Work South African Woman Teacher Sent to Deportation in Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Re: Out of Work South African Woman Teacher Sent to Deportation in Siem Reap

Post by whatwat »

Genius.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Austman »

Expat teachers! Some are on such low salaries! Even if they were smart enough to save for a rainy day. Its been quite a few months now without any income. And I guess it may be awhile until the schools re-open. I would like to think some have pensions or alternative income and teaching was there to fill in some gaps or pass the time away or if only just to keep the grey matter in tune. Good Luck
There maybe quite a few job vacancies when we all get back on course!
My wife said to get one of those pills that'll give me a huge hard on for hours! I brought her back some diet pills, Now I am hiding out in Cambodia for a few years until she calms down!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Austman wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:17 pm Expat teachers! Some are on such low salaries! Even if they were smart enough to save for a rainy day. Its been quite a few months now without any income. And I guess it may be awhile until the schools re-open. I would like to think some have pensions or alternative income and teaching was there to fill in some gaps or pass the time away or if only just to keep the grey matter in tune. Good Luck
I agree that anyone away from there own country should have a sort of plan (just in case) but this situation is not the norm.
rozzieoz wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:28 am It's absolutely heartbreaking.
I wish I could help and support everyone but it's just not possible :(
It was not long ago you were looking at some type of investment.
explorer wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:17 pm With a large number of people in the same situation, it becomes too difficult to help them all.

I have also wondered, if a foreigner went to a temple, explained they had no money, and asked if they could live at the temple, would they welcome them. At some temples, they probably would.

Now why on earth would you think that?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

explorer wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:17 pmPeople grow tobacco. They harvest it from the farm. Then they remove the large stems. Then they put it in a machine which cuts it into fine strips. It is then laid out on mats to dry in the sun. One issue is, tobacco harvesting is seasonal, not continuous.
That's a bit long-winded and doesn't exactly help anyone.
explorer wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:17 pmPeople grow mushrooms. There are 2 different types of mushrooms, and 2 completely different methods of growing them. A lot of work needs to be done during planting. The best time to harvest mushrooms is 3 am, so they can have fresh mushrooms for sale in the market when it opens.
Ok... What's your point?
explorer wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:17 pmThere are factories which send work to be done in people's homes. For example, a lot of people do sewing at home. However, if another person came along, they may need another sewing machine.
Brilliant idea...
explorer wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:17 pmThere are people who put cigarettes into packets at home.
Ok...
explorer wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:17 pmSomeone who could repair bicycles, could offer to help at a bicycle shop.
Yes, sounds totally feasible to undercut the guys on the corner who'll patch up your flat tire for 50 cents...
explorer wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:17 pmIt would probably not be difficult to get construction work. Normally accommodation is provided.
Sure, a female south African with zero construction experience is going to get a construction job very pronto... She'll be mixing cement and shoveling sand in buckets as they're lifted up to the top floors. I'm also sure the contractors will think it's totally worth their troubles to get paperwork for a foreigner who shovels sand or carries 50kg bags of cement around all day.
explorer wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:17 pmI have also wondered, if a foreigner went to a temple, explained they had no money, and asked if they could live at the temple, would they welcome them. At some temples, they probably would.
You'd be picked up quickly enough by the authorities. There are a few foreign monks around, but I think it's a special visa.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

explorer wrote: ↑Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:17 pm
There are people who put cigarettes into packets at home.

There are also people who take cigarettes out of packets at home .. Who gets paid the highest salary.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
MarkRobinson
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by MarkRobinson »

:please: :dragonchase: (kaffa- boy 3 )
Jobs searching for medical - mushrooms available at Phum Taiat ( 112 km West of Stung Treng ).

Earn as you pick ., 2000 Rieal per K G .stand - up workers ! :dragonchase: ( Kaffa - boy 3 ) :dragonchase:
Gold tops /blue meanies in abundance !.!.! ? . !
"The Truth ,The whole truth " & nothing but the T R U T H ,Galbelly for the Defense.🍇
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Austman »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:26 pm
Austman wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:17 pm Expat teachers! Some are on such low salaries! Even if they were smart enough to save for a rainy day. Its been quite a few months now without any income. And I guess it may be awhile until the schools re-open. I would like to think some have pensions or alternative income and teaching was there to fill in some gaps or pass the time away or if only just to keep the grey matter in tune. Good Luck
I agree that anyone away from there own country should have a sort of plan (just in case) but this situation is not the norm.
rozzieoz wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:28 am It's absolutely heartbreaking.
explorer wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:17 pm With a large number of people in the same situation, it becomes too difficult to help them all.

I have also wondered, if a foreigner went to a temple, explained they had no money, and asked if they could live at the temple, would they welcome them. At some temples, they probably would.

Now why on earth would you think that?

It's absolutely heartbreaking.

Austman says
Yes it is heart breaker and hard for me to see that a few really good people (teachers) are suffering, but the kids will find it harder because some teachers
" I think" they actually care about the students and their future, and that expat influence and broadening of their students minds can be extremely beneficial!

Soz Roz sometimes I am a little slow on the up take of a conversation!
But the part that says It was not long ago you were looking some for type of investment? "NO not me !" Never in a Asian country Never not 1 cent...
My wife said to get one of those pills that'll give me a huge hard on for hours! I brought her back some diet pills, Now I am hiding out in Cambodia for a few years until she calms down!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:26 pm It was not long ago you were looking at some type of investment.
Things have certainly changed. All my goals went out the window with Covid. :(
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

If there was just one, and they looked hard, and got lucky, they may find a Cambodian family they could work with. They could offer to help with their work, then see if they can stay with the family, and get meals from the family. There would be Cambodian families somewhere who would take them in. It is just difficult to know which families would be happy to do that. For example:

People grow tobacco. They harvest it from the farm. Then they remove the large stems. Then they put it in a machine which cuts it into fine strips. It is then laid out on mats to dry in the sun. One issue is, tobacco harvesting is seasonal, not continuous.

People grow mushrooms. There are 2 different types of mushrooms, and 2 completely different methods of growing them. A lot of work needs to be done during planting. The best time to harvest mushrooms is 3 am, so they can have fresh mushrooms for sale in the market when it opens.

There are factories which send work to be done in people's homes. For example, a lot of people do sewing at home. However, if another person came along, they may need another sewing machine.

There are people who put cigarettes into packets at home.

Someone who could repair bicycles, could offer to help at a bicycle shop.

It would probably not be difficult to get construction work. Normally accommodation is provided.

There are many different types of work people do. If someone was to find the right Cambodian family, there would probably be people who would take them in, if they helped with the work.

It would be ideal to get a salary, so people have some control over their own lives.

A big challenge is, many of these people don't speak the language, which would make things more difficult.
Those are all fine ideas. A long time ago when I was a bit green and couldn't support myself very well my Khmer relations stepped in and looked after me. It has happened at other times since and although it seems we are somehow estranged at this time we still have close links. I would often help them out by getting them well-paid jobs and generally contributing to the well-being of the household.
The problem is that many people don't develop those relationships with locals. For example in my neighborhood of 7 years I know this 70+ retired soldier with gold teeth and tattoos and it made me laugh today when my son said he had met him and he was asking why he hadn't seen me in ages. It's mainly because there's a beer shop closer to my house now, his family sell phones! I don't chat with the locals as much as pre-CORVID, there used to be a reasonably sized group of us who would chat every evening. Surgeons, orderlies, government officials, tech guys, sellers, motodops. Most had been in the Heng Samrin army.
I don't have anything like the Khmer language skills you obviously have. I know how to do the guttural market speak that is prevalent in the capital, where all sorts of dialects mix into a muddy hue.
Your ideas for making money are all valid, but it's not going to be enough in this case. Sure, a local might be able to manage a hammock and some rice and prahok in basic circumstances for a long time, not many foreigners can. I'm not all that fancy myself, I have never had aircon in all my time here except for one brief period about 2010. Unless you have very specific skills here you cannot compete with locals on price, and it would seem immoral to be taking a job that a local could do anyway. Just trying to aim for sustainability here, good luck. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Teddy1
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Teddy1 »

rozzieoz wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:13 pm
AndyKK wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:26 pm It was not long ago you were looking at some type of investment.
Things have certainly changed. All my goals went out the window with Covid. :(
I think everybody now has to wait and see, which makes for high anxiety. My doctor here in Canada said she is overwhelmed with her patients mental illness. She is seeing alot of suicidal young people.
Its all very sad. The whole world is effected. Hunger will be a big issue for many in the coming months.
My entire life can be summed up in one sentence:
"Well that didnt go as planned".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic