Woman Bag Snatcher Dies on Moto After Stealing 10K

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Woman Bag Snatcher Dies on Moto After Stealing 10K

Post by Ravensnest »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:09 pm

A few other posters pointed out that they think it is done to potentially resuscitate the victim. I see something to support this online also.

My other half, when I asked her today, said that it's not to avoid being haunted; but to stop the spirit from wandering outside the victim's body/keep body and spirit together.
I read that too and I didn't give it credit for a zeptosecond.

I can see that being possible. I showed the video and asked mine. she seemed as dumbfounded as I was.

edit- since I posted this, I asked Cambodian friends on Facebook. The reply I received was pretty much just what your wife said. :thumb: interesting.
Still here, in country...
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Judge, jury and executioner.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief
09 July 2020 | 23:08 ICT
Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her.

District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The Post on Thursday that the judge, Kong Khemara, was detained on Wednesday afternoon after he crashed his car into 30-year-old Say Kimny’s motorbike on the Phnom Penh-Hanoi road in Kouk Khleang commune’s Roung Chakr village, in the capital’s Sen Sok district.

“After completing questioning, a police officer decided to file a case of unintentional manslaughter and sent him [Kong Khemara] to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Thursday afternoon.”

Meng Vang said Khemara claimed Kimny stole his wallet containing almost $10,000 in cash while he was walking into a barbershop in Phnom Penh Thmei commune’s Pong Peay village. He said he followed her in his car as she drove away on her motorbike.

He said he made a manoeuvre to avoid a car in front of him, which caused him to crash into Kimny’s motorbike.

Ministry of Justice secretary of state Kim Santepheap said in principle, people have the right to detain someone who has stolen from them so they can send the perpetrator to police for questioning and legal proceedings.

But victims of theft cannot use violence that causes injury or death to a suspect or perpetrator.

Santepheap said the public often gets confused as to who is to blame when accidents between cars and motorcycles occur. They often blame the car’s driver when a victim on a motorbike is injured or killed.

“The law of road traffic accidents doesn’t identify matters that way,” he said.

In regard to the accident involving Khemara and Kimny, Santepheap said: “I think we should let the authorities and relevant bodies investigate and take the necessary steps.”

Phnom Penh Municipal Court spokesman Kuch Kimlong told The Post that the case was still under investigation by the prosecutor.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... eged-thief
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I'm guessing it will cost him ten grand to get off. :)
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

He said he made a manoeuvre to avoid a car in front of him, which caused him to crash into Kimny’s motorbike.
I don't think that was the time to tell a porky.. :snorting:
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

UPDATE
Cambodia News, Phnom Penh: According to a news source today, Mr. Kong Khemara, Judge of Koh Kong Provincial Court, who "drove a car and chased a thief, snatched his bag and caused his death" (sic) has been charged by Mr. Ly Sokleng, the Investigating Judge of the Phnom Penh Municipal Court, with "involuntary manslaughter" under Article 207 of the Penal Code.
The defendent was remanded in custody at PJ Prison in Phnom Penh on the afternoon of July 11, 2020.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

rozzieoz wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:58 pm I'm guessing it will cost him ten grand to get off. :)
Guess again.

July 13, 2020
Khemara charged with manslaughter over crash
The Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Friday charged and jailed Koh Kong provincial court deputy prosecutor Kong Khemara over a deliberate vehicular crash that led to the death of a woman in Phnom Penh.

Khemara was apprehended on Thursday after being accused of fatally hitting with his car a woman who allegedly snatched his bag containing $6,000 in Sen Sok district.
The victim, was identified as Say Kimny, 30.

According to a media report, deputy prosecutor Kuch Kimlong completed his investigation and formally charged Khemara with “manslaughter” under Article 207 of the Criminal Code.
If found guilty, he faces three years in jail and a fine of up to $1,500.
Khemara remains behind bars in PJ prison.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50743994/k ... ver-crash/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

mcam wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:51 am I love that more questions are never asked to why people carry so much money around. If he has a legitimate excuse then fair enough but if you got caught with 10k in your bag in my home country it would be taken away until you could prove its not the proceeds of crime.
When I sold a business some time ago I also thought it would be fine to transfer the money from bank to bank. Instead, the buyer got a stash of cash from his bank and brought it to our bank where the cashier counted it then deposited it in the account. Apparently, this also works as a check that there are no counterfeit notes in the big stack with bank employees as witnesses. It was a multitude of 10K, I must still have a picture somewhere of the bundles on the counter.
Asianistar
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Asianistar »

Like seriously... I have no sympathy for bag snatchers.I'd been victims and I've seen too much. When they do it to people, they don't care if you fall off the street and get run over by cars for $50. It's basic karma.
Food Fun Fuck
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Flexxman wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:10 pm
mcam wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:51 am I love that more questions are never asked to why people carry so much money around. If he has a legitimate excuse then fair enough but if you got caught with 10k in your bag in my home country it would be taken away until you could prove its not the proceeds of crime.
When I sold a business some time ago I also thought it would be fine to transfer the money from bank to bank. Instead, the buyer got a stash of cash from his bank and brought it to our bank where the cashier counted it then deposited it in the account. Apparently, this also works as a check that there are no counterfeit notes in the big stack with bank employees as witnesses. It was a multitude of 10K, I must still have a picture somewhere of the bundles on the counter.
In practise 10k is only 100 x 100$ notes, not stacks of notes unless it was all low denominations
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic