Woman Bag Snatcher Dies on Moto After Stealing 10K

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Andy S Tawatin
Expatriate

Re: Woman Bag Snatcher Dies on Moto After Stealing 10K

Post by Andy S Tawatin »

According to CN* earlier this morning:

"UPDATE: In a curious twist the mam who claimed to be the victim, remains unidentified, but it is said he is a Koh Kong court judge. The victim, Say Kimny, a 30-year-old female hairdresser (maybe not a man in a wig after all, or maybe a transgender, also described as a ‘lesbian’), who was living in a Khum Sangkum commune, Sen Sok district.

is reporting that the judge, now named as Kong Kong Khemara, a Judge of the Koh Kong Provincial Court, was sent to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court for prosecution under charges of involuntary manslaughter for hitting the moto with his car. It is not yet totally clear."
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

When I've got $10,000 to deposit in a bank I always think hey why not get a hair cut on the way
:please:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Andy S Tawatin
Expatriate

Post by Andy S Tawatin »

atst wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:46 am When I've got $10,000 to deposit in a bank I always think hey why not get a hair cut on the way
:please:
A very fishy story.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Just watched the video rocky horror came in my head, it's just a jump to the left .
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

samrong01 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:10 am Its more common than you think because there is no other way to transfer money from one bank to another or to settle large debts.
I've often been in the bank and have seen very ordinary-looking people come in and count out huge piles of cash at the counter.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

The guy who was robbed has his money back & the thief won't be stealing anybody else's money/possessions in future.

Those who choose to live outside the law should not be protected by it
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:26 pm
samrong01 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:10 am Its more common than you think because there is no other way to transfer money from one bank to another or to settle large debts.
I've often been in the bank and have seen very ordinary-looking people come in and count out huge piles of cash at the counter.
Often the ones with the gold, Lexus and nose jobbed wife are not as wealthy as they make out, although certainly middle class Cambodian rich.

I think there’s definitely more “ordinary-looking” people that are cashed up than the new money (Chinese cash) lot of now, especially thought awful online sellers/jewellery sellers who show off their wealth (counting piles of money in their house) and like to tell everyone how modest they are by giving the peasants money and filming it whilst also bragging about their new RR.

The landlord of a well know long gone expat bar used to turn up in a battered Lexus to borrow next months rent money. Now he’s seriously wealthy but still drives the same car and looks homeless!
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

samrong01 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:10 am
mcam wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:51 am I love that more questions are never asked to why people carry so much money around. If he has a legitimate excuse then fair enough but if you got caught with 10k in your bag in my home country it would be taken away until you could prove its not the proceeds of crime.
Its more common than you think because there is no other way to transfer money from one bank to another or to settle large debts. The fact that you have to prove you are NOT a criminal in the west shows the complete reversal of justice in those countries. Any person has a right to walk around with any amount of money they wish. An interesting question is whether or not the woman knew that he had $10,000 with him or if it was just random.
I frequently transfer money online between my account with the J Trust bank to both ABA and Maybank without any problems
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

chiltern wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:17 pm

I frequently transfer money online between my account with the J Trust bank to both ABA and Maybank without any problems
It costs me $5 to transfer from my Acleda to my ABA account, plus an extra "fee" if I withdraw using the teller at the "wrong" Acleda branch that can be up to $4 if I'm withdrawing 4 grand or so.

Easier to take it with me to ABA and deposit for free.

In a previous job here, where I worked up country, it was common to receive between 5k up to 50k over different times of the month to pay suppliers, sub contractors, staff wages and any other expenses. Driving around with a carrier bag of $50 and $100 bills on the seat beside me and usually no security.

It's a huge cash economy, still mostly a black economy also, so this shit just happens.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

jaynewcastle wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:57 pm The guy who was robbed has his money back & the thief won't be stealing anybody else's money/possessions in future.

Those who choose to live outside the law should not be protected by it
Would you say the same if the amount in question was $10 and the thief was a destitute mother who had no other way of feeding her kids that day?

I get what you're saying but that's the reason we have courts where everyone has the right to a fair trial before punishment is handed down by someone unemotionally attached to the case and who is specifically appointed to do that job.

There are many legitimate reasons why we don't live in a society where victims of crime can act as judge, jury and executioner of their own cases.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic