Siem Reap Province Bans Dog Meat Traffic (UPDATED)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Siem Reap Province Bans Dog Meat Traffic (UPDATED)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Siem Reap): The Department of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries of Siem Reap announced this week that dog meat trafficking is now banned in Siem Reap. However, it is not banned in the rest of Cambodia.
In Siem Reap province, trafficking in dogs for meat is now illegal and contrary to the content of the Animal Health and Production Law, and any offenses will be charged following articles no.112, 113, and 115 of that Law.

The Department of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries of Siem Reap made a ban on dog meat trafficking or killing any type of dog without permission.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Siem Reap Province Bans Dog Meat Traffic

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Dog meat: First Cambodian province bans sale and consumption
6 hours ago
BBC
A province in Cambodia has become the first in the country to ban the sale and consumption of dog meat.

Siem Reap is best known as the home of the Angkor Wat temple complex, but an animal rights group says the region had become a "hub" for the trade.

The new ban will include punishments of up to five years in prison or fines of between 7 and 50 million riel ($12,200; £7,940), AFP reports.

The decision follows similar moves in other parts of Asia in recent months.

The consumption of dog meat is not widespread in Cambodia, with fewer than 12% of people eating it on a regular basis, according to animal rights charity Four Paws. But the organisation identified Siem Reap province as a "key hot spot" in the trade.

The director of Siem Reap's department of agriculture, forestry and fisheries, Tea Kimsoth, told Reuters news agency that tourism had led to a growth in demand for dog meat in the region.

"Dog meat has been a lot more popular following the arrivals of foreigners, especially among the (South) Koreans," he said.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Good news. My friend had his favourite dog stolen for dog meat. They rove around looking for dogs and grab whatever one they can find. Hopefully this practice will now stop.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

samrong01 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:38 am Good news. My friend had his favourite dog stolen for dog meat. They rove around looking for dogs and grab whatever one they can find. Hopefully this practice will now stop.
Would be nice if they do.

I wouldn't start letting the dogs roam happily just yet though.
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Austman »

It is great news what surprised me was the amount of dogs if this number is reliable 3 Million dogs a year WoW
Bangkok Post said
PHNOM PENH: A Cambodian province popular with tourists has banned the trade and slaughtering of dogs for meat, saying that canines are loyal and capable of protecting property and even serving in the military.
Siem Reap province, home to the ancient Angkor Wat ruins, is the first place to issue such a ban in Cambodia, where an estimated three million dogs a year are slaughtered for meat.
My wife said to get one of those pills that'll give me a huge hard on for hours! I brought her back some diet pills, Now I am hiding out in Cambodia for a few years until she calms down!
Sir Stephen
Expatriate
France

Post by Sir Stephen »

I know a dog meat restaurant in Phnom Penh. They are doing a roaring
Spoiler:
woofing? sorry, could not resist
trade at the moment.. :roll:
Roadie
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Roadie »

Sorry to be a spoiler on this one but I've seen and been chased by the mangy street dogs in Thailand and Laos so I think keeping dog numbers under control is a valuable thing for this country. Sure if they start desexing all the street dogs and seeing that they get cared for, great. But I don't see that happening. It's not like its treated like a delicacy here. It's just cheap meat for the poor. I doubt too many well off Khmais eat it.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Roadie wrote:It's just cheap meat for the poor. I doubt too many well off Khmais eat it.
Not in my experience.
A lot of men believe it improves sexual performance and as such, is a delicacy.
Lots of our police friends in SNV ate it quite regularly.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

There is a four star star general who's city residence is a sizable small compound in the heart of leafy Toul Kork.
He is kinda as King of of his well heeled street as he is of the vast northern border that is his command.

Also has a small mixed breed herd of domestic dogscunder his command. His wife's usual stupid lion dog things, a few rat dogs and little barking alarms. And of course his muscle.

One evening the poor second cook slipped out for 5 seconds for something.
Oooops, out trotted the No1 four star guard dog. Much loved loved by the boss. 9 year old classic Cambodian black-tongue ridgeback crossed wiith a great dane. Or something. All muscle, always alert, standing on his toes, prancing gait.
Never seen again. Click of fingers just like that, King dog snatched off the street in 5 seconds flat.

Sorry, just musing.
But the point is - dognapping for the food trade is as pervasive as the pox. It can happen to anybody everywhere.
Worse, i believe it is mostky for the huge export trade >>East.

BUT, we sure are going to need those vaccination teams, for rabies. And maybe the vacectomy team too.
For sure.
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Austman »

rozzieoz wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:51 pm
Roadie wrote:It's just cheap meat for the poor. I doubt too many well off Khmais eat it.
Not in my experience.
A lot of men believe it improves sexual performance and as such, is a delicacy.
Lots of our police friends in SNV ate it quite regularly.
I am not sure.
I can buy 4 Viagaras at the local pharmacy (To name Only One brand) for $1.50 and even cheaper online. there must be another reason!
It takes all kinds I suppose.
I gotten bitten by a trigger fish scuba diving in PNG he took out quite a big chunk of my thigh. I must admit I enjoyed going back down spearing him! We BBQ'd him that night. I really loved it!
My wife said to get one of those pills that'll give me a huge hard on for hours! I brought her back some diet pills, Now I am hiding out in Cambodia for a few years until she calms down!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic