Siem Reap Province Bans Dog Meat Traffic (UPDATED)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Siem Reap Province Bans Dog Meat Traffic (UPDATED)

Post by Ryan754326 »

Chad Sexington wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:29 am
I have no problem with dogs being raised as livestock and being humanely dispatched for consumption, the problem is the level of cruelty involved for many of them, torture is not an acceptable farming practice.
What is your idea of overtly cruel? Do you know of any other food/farm animal that is tied up with metal wire and beaten to death with a club, or plunged alive into boiling water to kill it, so that in the agony of dying it’s body becomes saturated with adrenaline, ‘all to enhance the flavor of the meat’?
I’m not saying this is happening to the dogs eaten by Khmers, but it definitely happens to many of the the dogs ‘harvested’ to be consumed by Chinese, here and elsewhere.
I’ve heard those stories of dogs being beaten to death or boiled alive on the Internet, but I was laughed at when I asked my Vietnamese friends if any of it were true. This is not to say it’s never happened before, but I have a hard time believing that it’s normal practice in the dog meat trade.
It’s common knowledge that adrenaline ruins the taste and texture of meat, at least in the case of cows, pigs, and deer, so I can’t understand why it would somehow enhance the taste in the case of dog meat.
Personally, I think that these stories are mostly propaganda pushed by people who are against eating dog meat, but if I were to be proven wrong on this, I would certainly be against it, and would never touch dog meat again (not that I go out of my way to eat it in the first place).
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Ryan754326 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:59 am
Chad Sexington wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:29 am
I have no problem with dogs being raised as livestock and being humanely dispatched for consumption, the problem is the level of cruelty involved for many of them, torture is not an acceptable farming practice.
What is your idea of overtly cruel? Do you know of any other food/farm animal that is tied up with metal wire and beaten to death with a club, or plunged alive into boiling water to kill it, so that in the agony of dying it’s body becomes saturated with adrenaline, ‘all to enhance the flavor of the meat’?
I’m not saying this is happening to the dogs eaten by Khmers, but it definitely happens to many of the the dogs ‘harvested’ to be consumed by Chinese, here and elsewhere.
I’ve heard those stories of dogs being beaten to death or boiled alive on the Internet, but I was laughed at when I asked my Vietnamese friends if any of it were true. This is not to say it’s never happened before, but I have a hard time believing that it’s normal practice in the dog meat trade.
It’s common knowledge that adrenaline ruins the taste and texture of meat, at least in the case of cows, pigs, and deer, so I can’t understand why it would somehow enhance the taste in the case of dog meat.
Personally, I think that these stories are mostly propaganda pushed by people who are against eating dog meat, but if I were to be proven wrong on this, I would certainly be against it, and would never touch dog meat again (not that I go out of my way to eat it in the first place).
I can’t speak for how the Vietnamese treat dogs before eating them, but I do know a local Khmer who was commissioned to make a dog sized (as in, just big enough to squeeze an average sized dog into, but not so big that it can move) steel cage, specifically for boiling a dogs in, it was for recently arrived Chinese migrant. It was to ensure the entire animal remained submerged in the boiling water and couldn’t thrash around splashing hot water everywhere.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

Chad Sexington wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:42 am
I can’t speak for how the Vietnamese treat dogs before eating them, but I do know a local Khmer who was commissioned to make a dog sized (as in, just big enough to squeeze an average sized dog into, but not so big that it can move) steel cage, specifically for boiling a dogs in, it was for recently arrived Chinese migrant. It was to ensure the entire animal remained submerged in the boiling water and couldn’t thrash around splashing hot water everywhere.
I can’t deny that the Chinese appear to have some pretty fucked up ideas when it comes to food preparation.
Doing something like that deserves jail time, but where do they get the idea that torturing a dog would enhance the taste of the meat any more than doing the same to a pig?

If Khmers who sell dog meat aren’t willing to do their very best to make sure that the animal is killed in the most humane way possible, then they deserve to be shut down, and if the Chinese are the ones who insist on having their dog meat prepared this way, then they should be treated as savages and shamed the world over.

The Yulin dog meat festival is a very public event that is reported on by the western media. I have to think that if boiling dogs alive were the common practice, it would be front page news, and a lot more people, aside from the usual animal rights groups, would be protesting against it.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

December 22, 2022
NGO vows to stop dog, cat meat trafficking in region
Representatives of FOUR PAWS, an international animal welfare organisation, have pledged to fight tooth and nail to put an end to dog and cat meat trafficking in the region.

According to a report by FOUR PAWS, an estimated 10 million dogs and cats are captured, transported, and slaughtered in Cambodia, Vietnam and Indonesia every year for their meat.

Born Bun Chheang, Southeast Asia Campaign Advisor from FOUR PAWS, said the animal welfare group has been receiving requests from Cambodians seeking action against the meat trafficking.

“The public has been communicating through social media, informing us of dog and cat meat trafficking activities and asking us to work with the government to ban the illegal trade permanently and effectively,” he said.

He added that according to FOUR PAWS research in 2022, only 12% of Cambodians regularly eat dog meat, and research in 2021 shows that 90% will support the ban.

Bun Chheang also said that the Siem Reap province took a historic decision of banning the trafficking and consumption of dog meat and set as a model for other provinces in Cambodia.

He also said that more action would be taken to combat the trafficking by working in coordination with the governments, NGOs, the private sector and local communities of Cambodia and Vietnam to stop the dog meat trafficking involving the two countries.

Karan Kukreja, FOUR PAWS Head of Campaigns Southeast Asia (Companion Animals) said: “We are also launching a campaign to stop the dog meat trade in Cambodia. The dog and cat meat trade poses various risks, such as direct and indirect risk of rabies, epidemics arising from the trafficking, etc.”

By banning the sale of dog meat, Siem Reap became the first province in Cambodia to outlaw the custom.

In 2020, a letter signed by the Seim Reap Provincial Agriculture Department said any person violating the ban will be charged according to Articles 112, 113 and 115 of the Law on Animal Health and Production, and will be fined up to $ 3,750.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501206570/ ... in-region/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

i dont get it .. people have to eat , its survival of the fittest ,
if a dog could eat you it would
we are all animals .
dogs and cats are not endangered
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

NGO's pushing thier western values what next chickens?
Dogs are eaten daily in my little town it's a cheap meal , take that away and what they going to eat, or become vegans
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

atst wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:23 am NGO's pushing thier western values what next chickens?
Dogs are eaten daily in my little town it's a cheap meal , take that away and what they going to eat, or become vegans
I agree with you generally on the statement of "push western value"...

But in principle, I believe that if dogs and cats are to be on the menu, they should be bred/raised for that purpose. Not snatching someone's pet off the streets or street animals.

It should be a regulated industry like beef, chicken, pork etc. The animals must be certified safe for human consumption before being offered to the public.

Dogs, cats, horses, guinea pigs, field rats, snakes etc are all just another source of protein. It might not fit into our own cultural believes but in other culture it is an accept norm.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

atst wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:23 am NGO's pushing thier western values what next chickens?
It's not a cheap meal

It's more expensive than chicken, pork, beef etc

That's why, it's called special meat
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:38 am
It's not a cheap meal

It's more expensive than chicken, pork, beef etc

That's why, it's called special meat
Agreed. I've also asked quite a few Khmers whether they eat dog or not and nearly all have expressed disgust at the idea. I get the impression only military and other macho types eat it.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Yep. Restaurants that serve dog meat have been pointed out to me by Khmers - usually with a pulled face. My impression is that eating dog meat is largely considered to be a foreign habit - Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean.
Maybe it's because I'm a westerner, but nobody has ever offered me dogmeat in Cambodia. That said, I'm not absolutely sure about some of the meat that I've eaten elsewhere in Asia, but it was more likely some sort of rat. I saw more dogs being eaten when I was in the Philippines for example, than here (And I wasn't there very long.)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic