Siem Reap Province Bans Dog Meat Traffic (UPDATED)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Siem Reap Province Bans Dog Meat Traffic

Post by newkidontheblock »

Needs to do like South Korea. There are dogs for pets and dogs for food. Dogs for food are raised on dog meat farms. No need to kidnap pet dogs or snatch them off the street.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Roadie wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:36 pm It's not like its treated like a delicacy here. It's just cheap meat for the poor. I doubt too many well off Khmais eat it.
Nonsense. It costs far more than other meat like pork or chicken. What's with writing "Khmais" in an English sentence anyway? Are you a hipster or something? :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Roadie
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Roadie »

In Kampong Chhnang the dog restaurants were more out of town and basic and when I asked my local Khmai friends they told me it was where the poor ate because it was cheaper than beef or pork or chicken. I would see people cutting up and cooking all sorts of caught animals to eat and dog was one I saw a number of times. Maybe marketing people in PP can make it into a delicacy but I haven't seen any sign for dog restaurants or mention of dog on a menu in Battambang.
What do you call the people of Cambodia if they aren't Khmai? I must be a hipster because I don't know another name.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Had dog meat in Kampot a long time ago. I wasn’t impressed. Meat is chewy, and had no taste. Posted a review at the time (which was deleted for decorum). There’s a dog meat place in missus’ village.
barang_TK
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by barang_TK »

Around my village, dogs are not kidnapped or sold, but usually exchanged for stuff like cooking tools.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Roadie wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:09 pm What do you call the people of Cambodia if they aren't Khmai? I must be a hipster because I don't know another name.
Khmer is the English word.
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Austman »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:35 pm
Roadie wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:09 pm What do you call the people of Cambodia if they aren't Khmai? I must be a hipster because I don't know another name.
Khmer is the English word.
I googled it and it came as
OP DEFINITION
khmai
A Person of Cambodian descent.. Much like Khmer
My friend Sophannie is Khmai
Search Results
Web results

khmai - Urban Dictionarywww.urbandictionary.com › define › term=khmai
A Person of Cambodian descent.. Much like Khmer.

john I would have lost the bet because I was on your side! I have never seen it written like that ??? Go Figure!
My wife said to get one of those pills that'll give me a huge hard on for hours! I brought her back some diet pills, Now I am hiding out in Cambodia for a few years until she calms down!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

You are getting your languages mixed up, there is no such word in English. Look in a proper dictionary, anyone can make up words and post them in Urban Dictionary.
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Austman »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:59 pm You are getting your languages mixed up, there is no such word in English. Look in a proper dictionary, anyone can make up words and post them in Urban Dictionary.

Khmai people
The Khmai people (Khmai: ជនជាតិខ្មែរ; French: Khmer) are an ethnic group native to Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand and, to a lesser extant, other countries surrounding the Mekong riverbasin. They speak the Khmai language and are the largest group of negro aborigines in Southeast Asia and presumably in all of Asia proper.

Khmai colonies and communities have been historically established on the shores of the South China and Andaman Seas; the Gulf of Thailand; along the coast of East India and the shores of Borneo, Sumatra and the Malay peninsula; but the Khmai people have always been centered on the Lower Mekong in mainland Southeast Asia, where the Khmai language has been spoken since the Bronze Age.

Many of these regions coincided to a large extent with the borders of Chinese dynasties, the colonies of Cham, Pyu and Tai peoples of the 3rd to 16th centuries and the tribalistic societies and territories of Khmai-speaking peoples. The cultural and political centers of the ethnic Khmai in particular have included Oc Eo, Roluos, Angkor and Longvek at various periods.

Today, most ethnic Khmai live within the borders of the modern Cambodian state, among others, rather than in tribalistic communities. The Cambodian genocide and Vietnam War nearly ended the four millennia-old Khmai presence in Southeast Asia. European colonialism, sinicization and modernization in the region have especially contributed to the diversification of the Khmai people entering the 21st century.

Contents hide
1. Distribution
2. History
2.1. Origins
2.2. Early History
2.3. Glass Canal

Elderly Khmai woman
My wife said to get one of those pills that'll give me a huge hard on for hours! I brought her back some diet pills, Now I am hiding out in Cambodia for a few years until she calms down!
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Austman »

or
The majority of Khmai people are resided in the lowlands of Cambodia, the southwestern provinces of Vietnam and in the Thai provinces of Surin, Sisaket, and Buriram. Many Khmai have also emigrated overseas, particularly to countries such as Canada, the U.S. and France.

There has not been any official census recognizing the Khmai as a separate group from other Cambodians, many of whom also use the Khmai moniker and speak the Khmai language; hence, their own ethnic population remains unclear and may very likely be lower than official estimates by a significant margin. The Khmai are largely assimilated with other ethnic and cultural groups in Cambodia, particularly the Kinh and Chinese groups, whereas in Thailand and Vietnam they are typically segregated from the larger society.

The Cambodian Civil War (1967-1975) and the Second Indochina War (1955-1975) are largely responsible for their current disenfranchisement. Social and political pressures such as strict assimilation policies (from the mid-1900s) and racial discrimination have forced many Khmai to renounce their indigenous heritage and ethnic identity over the years. Consequently, the last of their ethnic enclaves had disappeared by the late 1990s.

As of 2019, the Khmai have not reestablished any communities or relocated to any areas where they are the majority people or communally visible. However, they are frequently noticed in areas throughout Cambodia, northeastern Thailand and southwestern Vietnam.

Still from "Voices of Khmer Rouge" by Bophana
History
The Khmai people speak the Khmai language, which forms its own unique branch within the Austroasiatic family of languages.

Origins
The proto-Khmai probably arrived at the area now called Indochina, in the southern tip of the peninsula, at the end of the 5th millennium BCE. They were a group of early rice-farmers from Southern China who had migrated into the peninsula during the Neolithic and integrated with the indigenous Negrito ("short black") hunter-gatherers, particularly those situated along the Mekong river and coast of Vietnam before subsequently dispersing into other parts of Indochina.

The sequence of migrations into the Southeast Asian mainland during prehistory is reconstructed on the basis of the Two Layer Hypothesis, an archaeological theory that suggests the human occupation of mainland Southeast Asia occurred over two distinct periods by two separate racial groups. There were at least two migrations, the first being the proto-Khmai, which resulted in the Óc Eo, Đa Bút, Ban Chiang and Văn Lang cultures by the 30th century BCE, and the second, the Austronesian expansion, arriving in the peninsula around the 5th century BCE, displacing the Austroasiatic-speaking hunter-gatherers and rice-farmers in central Vietnam. Both migrations appear to have originated from Southeastern China, but the Austronesians are widely accepted as the earliest Southern Mongoloid populations to arrive in Southeast Asia, and all the inhabitants before them as Australo-Melanesian (or Negrito) peoples, including the proto-Khmai.

The most recent and credible hypothesis was put forth by linguist Paul Sidwell (2015) and places the urheimat of the proto-Khmai language (otherwise known as proto-Austroasiatic) in the western periphery of the Pearl river watershed of Lingnan, in Southeastern China; thence they would be expanding into Indochina by taking two possible dispersal routes: a coastal route down the coast of Vietnam, or another downstream through the Mekong River via Yunnan, with the subsequent Mekong riverine dispersal taking place after the initial arrival of the Neolithic rice-farmers from southern China.

Early History
The arrival of rice-agriculture prompted the earliest permanent settlements in Indochina, the inhabitants of which were those early Khmai-speakers and whose cultures were relatively homogeneous due to their close proximity. The following centuries of developing a civilization and economy based on the cultivation of irrigated rice and growing populations encouraged the development of later tribal states and communal settlements.

By the end of the 4th millennium BCE, the peninsula harbored numerous clusters of autonomous settlements which have all left evidences of similar Bronze cultures, social stratification, the cultivation of rice and warfare. Historical records describe a significant political event occurred when Lộc Tục came into power in the 29th century BCE. He consolidated the other tribes of the Red river-delta, in northern Vietnam, and succeeded in grouping all the autonomous communities within his territory into a single unified nation; making them the earliest major civilization of a Khmai-speaking people. By 2300 BCE, the Mekong river-delta in southern Vietnam was the center of another nation of tribes whom anthropologists and linguists suggest were also Khmai.

By 2000 BCE, the Khmai had crossed the Gulf of Thailand and the South China and Andaman Seas reaching East India, Southeastern China, Borneo, Sumatra and the Malay peninsula; becoming the predecessors to future populations in these regions. The emigrating groups into East India and Southern China would establish their own farming settlements, while those emigrating into the Malay peninsula, Sumatra and Borneo had formed colonies which would maintain trade and cultural ties with those Khmai groups situated in the mainland in the following centuries. All of these Khmai-speaking peoples would then diversify in the Iron Age, developing their own languages, while many others assimilated with other ethno-linguistic and racial groups.

The Khmai-speaking people in particular survived mainly in the Lower Mekong's lowlands, historically centering themselves in the Mekong river-delta with minor populations in the plains, valleys and some hills of Western Cambodia, Laos and northeastern Thailand. Those inhabiting other regions within Indochina, such as northern Vietnam, Burma, Laos and Malaysia would have already diversified and formed their own tribal states and even some nations; these newer groups were nonetheless Austroasiatic-speaking groups and shared ancestry to the initial riverine population. However, these distant groups are known to have assimilated with various other ethnolingual and racial groups at various periods — a result of their closer proximity and thus exposure to other regions and civilizations; evidences of which reveal their divergence from their Negrito heritages beginning as early as the Iron Age.

While the Khmai of the Bronze Age understood themselves to belong to a common ancestry and hunter-gatherer heritage, their first loyalty was to their agrarian city as the archaeological record (which includes numerous burial sites) suggests they had indeed warred with one another, often brutally, and were probably plagued with civil war and in-fighting. Investigations on over 55 identifiable circular earthworks located in the Mekong delta which were occupied from c. 2300 to 300 BCE suggest social interaction, not exclusion, isolation, or identification with distinct, separate and opposing groups; further supporting the Óc Eo culture's transition into a large urban region in later centuries.

The similarities in ceramics, tools and other patterns in archaeological evidences correlate with genetic studies supporting an extensive sphere of influence, culture and economy rather than a lack thereof and prior to the arrival of other cultural and racial groups in the Iron Age, by which all of the Austroasiatic populations were more or less in their present-day locations.

Glass Canal
The ethnogenesis of the Khmai nation is linked to the development of Pan-Khmaism sometime in the 6th to 4th centuries BCE, which may have been provoked by the arrival of large groups of Pyu and Cham colonialists in these centuries, or by the increasing influence of foreign cultures and religions in the Southeast Asian mainland, such as that of Hinduism and Buddhism. Indochina ushered into an era of imperialism in the mid-1st century under the economic, cultural and political dominance of a Khmai civilization whose capital, now known as Óc Eo (lit. meaning "Glass Canal" in Khmai), was located in the Mekong river-delta.

The Glass Canal was a major entrepôt between the 2nd century BCE and 6th centuries and the center of the Khmai tribes since their formation in the Early Bronze Age. Initially a union of several local chiefdoms and communal tribal settlements, recently discovered artificial waterways appearing to have connected the local clusters of settlements confirm the tribal state's apparent transition into one large metropolitan area sometime in the Iron Age. This period of Khmai civilization covers a time spanning from the 2nd century BCE to the establishment of their imperial nation by "Jayavarman II" in the early 9th century.

From archaeological evidence, which includes Greco-Roman, Chinese, and Indian goods excavated at the ancient mercantile centre of Óc Eo, it is known that this particular nation must have constituted a powerful trading state. Excavations at Angkor Borei in southern Cambodia have likewise delivered evidence of an important settlement.

Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. By using our site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

About Issarak | Disclaimers | Sitemap | Cookie Statement | Contact Issarak
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic