Will Racism Ever End?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Will Racism Ever End?

Post by Yerg »

The last few weeks of protests and actions. Comments and OpEds. Plenty said by left, right and centre. But a thought has been spinning in my mind since the start of all of the taking of knees,protests, raised fists etc.

For all the good intention, is it realistic to expect to end racism? It takes so many forms, both passive and aggressive. In some instances, it is so engrained as to be “normal”.

I note with interest, that the scurry to support BLM in the UK has been met with an abrupt about-turn due to BLM-UK’s political ideologies. This too could be discussed. The band-wagon approach to causes.

I’d be very interested to hear from members, their views on whether racism can ever be wiped out?

[Note to Mods - if this needs moving to Asinine, please do so. But my question Is well-intentioned. Not aimed to incite.]
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Will Racism Ever End?

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

The Beast is in us all.
It is the job of civilised humans to constantly challenge it.

In this globalised world, obviously civilisation will tend towards a similar path.

PS, for those who just right this off as PC nonsense i like Noam Chomsky's view -
PC is the molehill.
Racism, sexism etc are the mountains.

If you are happy with the way things are i suggest you don't lift a finger, fine.
But do not expect those of us who beleive in the highest of civilisation's values not to keep kicking up a stink.
The workings of The Beast are foul.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

NTOB will love this thread..and his cohorts..
Hi, i am a white dude ( or asian) and want to play devils advocate because other peoples struggles are theoretical to me. It's fun to debate their right to equality"
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

I borrowed my previous quote from here..but you get the idea
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Nailed it, BB ( about some)
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Yerg wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:33 am The last few weeks of protests and actions. Comments and OpEds. Plenty said by left, right and centre. But a thought has been spinning in my mind since the start of all of the taking of knees,protests, raised fists etc.

For all the good intention, is it realistic to expect to end racism? It takes so many forms, both passive and aggressive. In some instances, it is so engrained as to be “normal”.

I note with interest, that the scurry to support BLM in the UK has been met with an abrupt about-turn due to BLM-UK’s political ideologies. This too could be discussed. The band-wagon approach to causes.

I’d be very interested to hear from members, their views on whether racism can ever be wiped out?

[Note to Mods - if this needs moving to Asinine, please do so. But my question Is well-intentioned. Not aimed to incite.]
I dont mean to keep on but I guess this issue is important to me-- also its super hard having conversations w/ people you care about with different points of view ... due to different life experiences. I have felt disappointed, sad and uncomfortable at times having these convos w family as well. A few times I just choose to not say anything or change subject. Anyway this James Baldwin quote stuck w/ me

Last edited by BklynBoy on Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

BklynBoy wrote:NTOB will love this thread..and his cohorts..
Hi, i am a white dude ( or asian) and want to play devils advocate because other peoples struggles are theoretical to me. It's fun to debate their right to equality"
Why the heck are you dragging me into this mess?

Please leave me out of it.

Enjoy yourselves.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

@SternAAlbifrons & @BklynBoy I understand this thread is now restored and cleansed of some unhealthy posts, most likely by trolls.

I’d like to keep this discussion going, because I am genuinely intrigued by the question I initially asked.

I watched a clip today, at the beginning of the test cricket starting between England and the West Indies. The cricketing genius that is Michael Holding said something that really rang a bell.

Racism is learned. Nobody is born racist, it’s a product of your personal upbringing, society and interactions. Can this ever be eradicated? Will we ever see society as a whole, that is even for every single person in the world? I know I’m being idealistic, but we can live in hope???
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Thanks Yerg, and mods. I am pleased that it has been restored. Good topic if we can keep it sane.
I am actually not too worried about that racist crossing the line yesterday. It's good to draw the idiots out sometimes so we can see how dumb ( trying to be polite here) theur thinking is.
Having said that, i am also glad he was shut down so quick.

Yep, let's try again to have a rational discussion about this vexed topic.

(nb, i have been a bit gnarly on other topics lately, 'will try to be a bit more polite in the future. Try. :mrgreen: )
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

is anything ever eradicated ? agree upbringing plays a big role. Also people benefit from racism at times. if certain group has control/power and can benefit from that racism...also can be partly human nature to not want to give that up.. different types of racism.. structural etc
can be anything from who gets a job interview, housing, schools

I remember when i was substitute teaching. Just based on zip codes the school lunch for the kids was different. The higher income neighborhoods had better selection and healthier foods
people can be treated depending on race,, the way they dress, speak..etc.. thats why people code switch.. depending on who your with and act or try to act accordingly to fit in blah blah

also because of twitter and social media sometimes the loudest obnoxious voices take up the most oxygen.. maybe at times look past them?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic