Will Racism Ever End?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Will Racism Ever End?

Post by BklynBoy »

Yerg wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:05 am No, nothing is ever eradicated, IMHO. If it were, we wouldn’t still see Nazi sympathizers nowadays.

I think you refer to “empire-building” rather than racism a bit there BB. I’ve seen it many times, where a group of people protect their positions by surrounding themselves with people that won’t argue or fight with them, because they want to keep the position they have. Many of my biggest rucks have been when trying to confront this particular challenge.

But my point remains. If racism is learned, then how do we stop the teaching? Why are people still, in 2020, judged by the colour of their skin? How is this even possible in modern times?
last thought on this but maybe racism is more then just learned. Maybe some people are just assholes or they feel like to blame others for their own problems or whatever

anyway found this article about sesame street
https://undark.org/2019/05/17/psychiatr ... me-street/
How an African-American psychiatrist used an early TV show as a radical therapeutic tool to help minority preschoolers.

Racism did not just happen because some bad people had hateful beliefs. Unlike many of their liberal white colleagues, who were fascinated by the potential mental pathologies of individual racists, the Black Psychiatrists of America (drawing on new sociological work) insisted that racism was built into the systems and structures of American life, including psychiatry itself.

children of all ethnicities were growing up glued to TV screens. This worried Pierce, because he was not just a psychiatrist but also a professor of early childhood education

It seemed to Pierce, though, that the same technology that risked creating another generation of psychically damaged black children could also be used as a radical therapeutic intervention.

“Sesame Street’ has incorporated a hidden curriculum … that seeks to bolster the Black and minority child’s self-respect and to portray the multi-ethnic, multi-cultural world into which both majority and minority child are growing.”
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Yerg wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:31 am I understand this thread is now restored and cleansed of some unhealthy posts, most likely by trolls.
Not entirely cleansed, but we continue.

I’ll have to watch Sesame Street again. My perspective as an adult might be different to the one I had as a child @BklynBoy
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

BklynBoy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:45 pm Maybe some people are just assholes or they feel like to blame others for their own problems or whatever.
That's pretty much the crux of it all. Most people seem to be ok but there are a whole lot of assholes out there. Many locals here seem of very friendly dispositions, but when you introduce Viets into the conversation it doesn't seem so much anymore. And by the way Sesame Street was my favorite show as a kid in the early 70s.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:24 pm
BklynBoy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:45 pm Maybe some people are just assholes or they feel like to blame others for their own problems or whatever.
That's pretty much the crux of it all. Most people seem to be ok but there are a whole lot of assholes out there. Many locals here seem of very friendly dispositions, but when you introduce Viets into the conversation it doesn't seem so much anymore. And by the way Sesame Street was my favorite show as a kid in the early 70s.
hahah yea... They are showing Sesame Street at club love.. you ready @John Bingham ... guess it is what it is...
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:24 pm
I suppose that’s part of my point JB. An absolute hatred of a SE Asian. By a SE Asian. I know it runs deeper. The Indian caste system is another one. It’s just nuts.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:24 pm Many locals here seem of very friendly dispositions, but when you introduce Viets into the conversation it doesn't seem so much anymore.
I agree with you JB. That is a very real dynamic.
But if i may use this point to bring in a slightly different tangent.

You all know me, rabid greenie, lefty, liberal. I have made my feelings clear about racism on page 1.
However i have certain views which often get conflated with racism. eg
- i worried before that " you know who" did a deal with a certain neighbour which included that foreign nation to have free- range access to Cambodia. Yes, Vietnam.
- i am a huge admirer of the influences that Jewish people contribute to the western world. Unabashedly. However i have serious objections to the muscular nationalism that Isreal engages in.
- I love a multi etnic Oz. I fiercely support all desperate genuine refugees that turn up here in boats ( for some reason the the group that Fox/murdoch have chosen to whip up most hatred against). But i also am deeply concerned that we are swamping the current pop with people who have no attachment to our culture.
Previous immigrants from all races used to blend and adopt very well. They were poor - the new ones are rich, educated and bring a culture that has zero interest in eg, the rights and conditions that Oz workers have fought for for 150 years.
- I am a genuine admirer of many many Muslims, partly because of their values - but obviously i strongly object to some of the cultural aspects that have attached themsekces to this fine religion.

I have found it really difficiult to talk about these things.
My lefty mates automatically assume i have "gone bad"
The racists hear two words and immediately assume i am one of them.

Just an observation. But if anyone has any thoughts....
finish_money
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by finish_money »

This woman is popular on Twitter. I don't always agree with her politics, but she's always an interesting read. A few of her writings:

https://terikanefield-blog.com/tyranny- ... overnment/

https://terikanefield-blog.com/how-fairness-wins/

with the premise being:
Hierarchy people think there’s a natural order. Some people belong on top. Others belong at the bottom.

now I don't know if this is 100% learned or not. maybe there's something in our genetics that makes us gravitate toward one group or the other.

but as for the parallels with racism go, well the hierarchy people are generally the group that isn't interested in supporting anti-racist causes, and in many cases won't even acknowledge the struggle (and sometimes even directly fight against it).

(btw, I apologize if I've posted her work before, I'm a fan after all).

I'd also recommend reading this thread as well, which talks about how racism and hate are weaponized by people in power or those seeking it:

... which also seems to have an interesting role in Cambodian politics:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-camb ... CN20140429

anyway, glad I got here after the cleanup :D I have no idea what the ultimate solutions are but at least people are talking about them more now.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

finish_money wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:50 am This woman is popular on Twitter. I don't always agree with her politics, but she's always an interesting read. A few of her writings:

https://terikanefield-blog.com/tyranny- ... overnment/

https://terikanefield-blog.com/how-fairness-wins/

with the premise being:
Hierarchy people think there’s a natural order. Some people belong on top. Others belong at the bottom.

now I don't know if this is 100% learned or not. maybe there's something in our genetics that makes us gravitate toward one group or the other.

but as for the parallels with racism go, well the hierarchy people are generally the group that isn't interested in supporting anti-racist causes, and in many cases won't even acknowledge the struggle (and sometimes even directly fight against it).

(btw, I apologize if I've posted her work before, I'm a fan after all).

I'd also recommend reading this thread as well, which talks about how racism and hate are weaponized by people in power or those seeking it:

... which also seems to have an interesting role in Cambodian politics:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-camb ... CN20140429

anyway, glad I got here after the cleanup :D I have no idea what the ultimate solutions are but at least people are talking about them more now.
good post...
privilege often seems like equality to the privileged, and that real equality can make everyone suddenly feel very uncomfortable and off-balance
reminds me of the below quote.

Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Be careful with that equality stuff, you might not like the results.

In the US, equality will probably mean equally shitty. The US is rapidly turning into a Third World sweatshop.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Big Daikon wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:32 am Be careful with that equality stuff, you might not like the results.

In the US, equality will probably mean equally shitty. The US is rapidly turning into a Third World sweatshop.
not concerned at all.. You might not like the results..

but ur comment reminds me of what this poster said : Hierarchy people think there’s a natural order. Some people belong on top. Others belong at the bottom.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic