Will Racism Ever End?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Will Racism Ever End?

Post by Yerg »

No, nothing is ever eradicated, IMHO. If it were, we wouldn’t still see Nazi sympathizers nowadays.

I think you refer to “empire-building” rather than racism a bit there BB. I’ve seen it many times, where a group of people protect their positions by surrounding themselves with people that won’t argue or fight with them, because they want to keep the position they have. Many of my biggest rucks have been when trying to confront this particular challenge.

But my point remains. If racism is learned, then how do we stop the teaching? Why are people still, in 2020, judged by the colour of their skin? How is this even possible in modern times?
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

BklynBoy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:48 am I remember when i was substitute teaching. Just based on zip codes the school lunch for the kids was different. The higher income neighborhoods had better selection and healthier foods
Can I ask another question?? Did the zip codes generally also define colour?
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Yerg wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:08 am
BklynBoy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:48 am I remember when i was substitute teaching. Just based on zip codes the school lunch for the kids was different. The higher income neighborhoods had better selection and healthier foods
Can I ask another question?? Did the zip codes generally also define colour?
for the most part yea.. its just another way to categorize and not say black,white , asian or puerto rican..lol
but regarding racism . I think just connecting and interacting with different groups of people in different settings...school, work, play... but of course to each his own.. get to know people.. if thats whta they want...cant force it

anyway this might be all for nothing but interesting convo.. people have their beliefs.. and then seek out information that backs up their beliefs...
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Yerg wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:31 amRacism is learned. Nobody is born racist, it’s a product of your personal upbringing, society and interactions.
I will disagree here. Fair amount of evidence that in-group preference is in some part innate. This does not mean certain behaviors are inevitable, mind you.
He and researchers from the University of Toronto, the U.S., U.K., France and China, show that six to nine month olds demonstrate racial bias in favour of members of their own race and racial bias against those of other races.
https://www.utoronto.ca/news/racial-bia ... ch-reveals
We conclude that tribal bias is a natural and nearly ineradicable feature of human cognition, and that no group—not even one’s own—is immune.
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... man_Nature
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Big Daikon wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:44 am
Yerg wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:31 amRacism is learned. Nobody is born racist, it’s a product of your personal upbringing, society and interactions.
I will disagree here. Fair amount of evidence that in-group preference is in some part innate. This does not mean certain behaviors are inevitable, mind you.
He and researchers from the University of Toronto, the U.S., U.K., France and China, show that six to nine month olds demonstrate racial bias in favour of members of their own race and racial bias against those of other races.
https://www.utoronto.ca/news/racial-bia ... ch-reveals
We conclude that tribal bias is a natural and nearly ineradicable feature of human cognition, and that no group—not even one’s own—is immune.
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... man_Nature
Kinda agree w BD... but racist , racism is a jump to group preferences... but yea that sounds like a start.. which goes back to all this starting during childhood possibly?? unsure if this makes much sense

but agree people tend to gravitate towards people they look like etc....
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

When there are blacks on one side-------------------------- ----Grey---------------------------------------and whites on the other
---------------------------------------------------------there is a big grey area in-between
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

BklynBoy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:43 am which goes back to all this starting during childhood possibly?? unsure if this makes much sense
It does make sense when we look at innate behavior (or tendencies towards certain). The Blank Slate narrative seems quite hollow to me.

bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Taking the OP's original and persistent plea to stop racism and the teaching of racism and the OP's finding it so difficult to conceive of racism even existing at all as it is now 2020 I am compelled to call a spade a spade here. White leftist folk often take a similar approach to the OP's and just can't seem to fathom "other" folks having a different ideology than the one their demographic has.
I specifically refuse to use the "r" word in referring to someone's viewpoint. Racism, and calling someone racist is a cheap shot in argumentation to silence anyone's ideas if they might notice such a taboo observation like where in the hell someones family is from {SARCASM;use ("S*") gentle readers going forward in this entry or "*S" means the writer intends sarcasm to ally the pain of the stinging jab of direct speech. And I feel for the post grade 12 readers ou there who have to endure footnoting the plain and simple but I have to dumb it down for the non racists evolved creatures among us (*S)}

Once you call someone or something a racist today you get to stop talking and listening to "that guy" or "those people" right? You've done your job !(S*)
Oh, and whenever anyone would actually like to plunge deeper into the not so abysmal waters of such observations - let me or us know, the adults are still in the chat room, albeit bored at times.
Oh, and NKOTB or newkidontheblock, I remembered now that I impolitely forgot to reply to your reply to my plea to tell me more about the ethnic make up of your 'hood and I am sorry for this. Perhaps we would now fall under the racist umbrella for observing and noting that the Irish were in fact different in zip code and other criteria than the Italians and the "other people".
Thank you New Kid on the Block for your words on that last one and your memories of those times growing up on the east coast of the US of A, not far from my headwaters.

As for the intellectual children out there let me know when you'd like to pass thru and have adult conversations online here about stuff, cuz, I'm a fat Yankee with a big thick Irish Catholic bloodline and I m feisty and I kinda feel that need to check raise this poker game.

Oh, and one more thing, I'm a Yank and I freely express myself in some cases - does that mean I m an automatic douchebag or a Trumpy gentle readers (because I understand what bonafide Trump supporters say about the left)? Am I "less than"? If I am "less than" it must be because I am a Yank with a qualified opine, right? Does this action embolden you to use the "r" word against me because you can't endure my "type"? (one shudders to think that Racism exists at all in such an evolved time - will it ever go away? My God, how can we stop it Mom and Dad, its just so awful? (MORE SARCASM).

Seriously girls, grow up, troll up or what the f ever, your game is weak. Adults only need reply or fold it up and talk about music or art or food - cuz thats quantifiable and safe for your mindset.

I see this has been pushed on to asinine area 51 now so maybe I am a day late and a dolla short- but do engage gentle readers I am polite and enjoy the luxury of NOT being aligned with any of the other posters here.

Good day mates, back to the Blues God now (BB King et al) from the formerly racist and now reformed US of A (S*).
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Is everyone high around here?
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Yes, Big 'un it seems many here are, in fact, high; on themselves or maybe it is that they are not yet high enuf to take a break from their douchebaggery by imploring us all to dig deep today and having the peanuts in a sack to ask when this evil of racism will end so the good non racist people can push on. I embrace the progression of thinking we all have in 2020 regarding race relations.

I have seen how the Civil Rights movement has NOT always helped Americans in how they have or have not changed,in action and attitudes. I have noticed how whites in America have embraced black culture only in the teeny bopper pop culture sense. I'll refrain from commenting on race relations in other countries but from data I have concluded that the US is not such a tough place after all in the area of race relations - which is a term I prefer to use over racism.

You see, I am ok with noticing someone's ethnic background and I even have enough of a personality to discuss a person's ethnic life with them directly. Occasionally, I will come across a millennial God who corrects my inappropriate speech (at least to a millennial) and instructs me from their high chair. I relish those times.

Is it a black man's fault that he is umpteen times more likely to be incarcerated than his white fellow countrymen? Statistics place no blame but no one should miss out on their chance to be a victim of oppression or a victim of anything else either.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic