Is paying a bride price a good idea in Cambodian culture?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: Is paying a bride price a good idea in Cambodian culture?

Post by daeum_tnaot »

hunter8 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:23 pm Bride price is sort of a guarantee the future husband can provide for his family, shows his responsibility. Yes, it’s a good thing.

Second, it can be a compensation to the bride’s parents in countries with no safety net. Yes, it’s a good thing.

Thirdly, the husband will value his wife more if he had to work more than just with his well-hanged tongue to get her. Yes, there is a triple benefit in this tradition, at least triple.
The bride price bonds them together, the divorce rate compared to western countries is the best proof.
A family should be able to assess whether a man can provide for his family without coercing him to pay something.

Second, it seems a rather random way to address the safety net- what if some families had no girls? Or some families had more boys than girls? A lot of it is depending just on luck. If providing a safety net is really the goal, then perhaps both male and female should make a payment to their parents on getting married?

Third, hopefully he will value his wife even if he didn't pay something. If not, then something has to change culturally to ensure that people value their spouses.
Andy S Tawatin
Expatriate

Post by Andy S Tawatin »

A lot of bullshit here.

Imagine your young daughter comes home with a guy, he could be of a similar age (or likely like many of you) 25+ years her senior.

He wants to marry your little princess, but only in a mosque/kibbutz/pagoda, whatever it is you really don't believe in. Then doesn't want to buy a ring/go on honeymoon/have a ceremony/whatever else is your time honored tradition.

You'd be saying to yourself 'This guy ain't right, he doesn't respect our traditions'.

It may be horseshit but it's our/their horseshit. Even that Chinese dwad poster who had his cock out in the wedding photos accepted that. It is the way

Sorry, few :beer2: this afternoon.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Andy S Tawatin wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:21 pmChinese dwad poster who had his cock out in the wedding photos accepted that.
Man, I missed some part of this conversation.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I have seen at the wedding ceremony when they take the cash from the little envelopes what guests have freely given, and the brides family have been so disappointed when they have been out of pocket.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Slavery is buying someone against their will. There is no love for a slave. Slaves are often bought in groups as well. Bride price in Cambodia can’t compare to slavery.

Try marrying a women against her will, or multiple women against their will at the same time. The wedding night may not end in marital bliss.

However in Kyrgyzstan, there is bride kidnapping.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ala_kachuu

Publicly showing that a man can take care of his better half is a Khmer tradition. Isn’t that a good thing? Or is it better for a girl to marry a man that’s a devoted begpacker?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Since when did devoted begpackers come into this?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
fred_stone
Tourist
United States of America

Post by fred_stone »

Having been married before i can say that the bride price is the cheapest of everything involved in a marriage from start to finish.. if you dont want to pay it is up to you.. but thats telling the girl and family that shes not worth it and i would hope that she and the family would tell you to move along.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I believe it goes to the cost of wedding, seems like a normal kind of expense to have. I paid for an engagement party, just gave the money to mom in-law and she set everything up.
fred_stone
Tourist
United States of America

Post by fred_stone »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:48 am I paid for an engagement party, just gave the money to mom in-law and she set everything up.

That seems to be the best way. That way it happens the way they want it and mom in-law is happy. It also makes it easy on groom.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:47 pm However in Kyrgyzstan, there is bride kidnapping.
It is rare, but it does still happen in Cambodia.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic