Is anyone having trouble with their US ATM card?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
kritsana77
Expatriate
Thailand

Is anyone having trouble with their US ATM card?

Post by kritsana77 »

I tried withdrawing money from my US ATM card on the night of 5 July and the morning of 6 July. The ABA ATM machine at two different locations said "temporary out...????" Anyone else having this problem? Thank you in advance.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Is anyone having trouble with their US ATM card?

Post by beaker »

Are you new to the country ?
Have you notified your bank that you will be in Cambodia ?
Have you recently used the card ?
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

beaker wrote:Are you new to the country ?
Have you notified your bank that you will be in Cambodia ?
Have you recently used the card ?
Agreed, call your bank. Also not unheard of to have to go to a few ATMs to find one that works. I usually have pretty good success at ABA though.

And also try a smaller amount. I have sometimes thought I needed to call my bank, but then realized I was trying to take out more than $200 or something.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

kritsana77 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:38 am I tried withdrawing money from my US ATM card on the night of 5 July and the morning of 6 July. The ABA ATM machine at two different locations said "temporary out...????" Anyone else having this problem? Thank you in advance.
Visa? Mastercard? What type?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
kritsana77
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by kritsana77 »

Thanks everyone for responding to my question. I've lived here for a year and never had a problem before. One more question please. If I notify my bank are they going to cancel my ATM card. I would think so. Also it is going to be a pain in a@@ to get it sent her during the pandemic? Thanks again.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Have you just tried another ATM from a different bank? And why do you think your bank will want to cancel and send a new one? (I successfully resisted this a few months ago and state strongly that I didn't want a new one.)

Also yes it was a real delay to get a new card ( I later lost another bank card and had to have a replacement sent). It could take 2-4 weeks I would guess.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

I have had trouble with my US bank cards here for months over the last year or so. ABA will say the card is invalid. Other bank ATMs will say temporarily unavailable...whatever that means. Other times, it works fine on the first go.

No, as most of you know, I am not new to the KoW so that is not the issue.

I have taken to just wiring money to my local bank and using the local card. Fees on average work out to be the same anyway, with less headache. Money has been hitting the local account in around 22 hours from making the call to my US bank.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

kritsana77 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:44 pm Thanks everyone for responding to my question. I've lived here for a year and never had a problem before. One more question please. If I notify my bank are they going to cancel my ATM card. I would think so. Also it is going to be a pain in a@@ to get it sent her during the pandemic? Thanks again.
I'm going on 12 years with my US Visa. All I have needed to do was keep my travel dates updated as they used to only go for 3 months at a time until recently now it doesn't need to be updated unless I change locations. No need to contact your bank by calling just do it with online banking.

Also remember you probably have a daily limit and the days start and end on US time.

Also you can't collect the complete daily limit because there will be fees added on that will take it over your limit amount.

I've recieved items from DHL and FedEx shipping lately and they are still working well. Use a relatives address as your home address in the states so that they can ship a new/renewed card to you when you need one.

If you are on SS then there are services just for expats who live overseas and they work sort of like a credit union your check is direct deposited and you have a Visa bank card from them no matter where you choose to live. It also can be set up over the net without having to return to the states.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
kritsana77
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by kritsana77 »

Thank you everyone for your comments. I have been here approximately one year and I have to update my location annually. I am in contact with my bank now.
numacsys
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by numacsys »

ImageImage

My bank allows me to switch or toggle on and off countries I want to use the card in. This gives me the peace of mind knowing that the card will be declined if used in those countries I excluded or toggled off on the list. When, for example, I visit Thailand, I can briefly toggle on Thailand or even just do so before paying for something or using the ATM, then toggle it off again. All done on the app.

Some American banks allow this too but I'm not sure which.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic