street condition here in 1990s??

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Re: street condition here in 1990s??

Post by whatwat »

I have vague memories of SE Asia in the 90s. It’s all gone to mush in my pea sized brain sadly.

Nowadays memories are recorded on smart phones. Back then you’d have a disposable camera, which you’d undoubtedly lose, or a proper camera, which you’d undoubtedly get stolen.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by mikeukt »

I was in a place on street 108 back in 1997, during the rainy season I enjoyed sitting on my balcony at night looking across at 106. There was a compound there (probably a government building). There was a huge deep pothole there that was full to the brim with rainwater. After a while sure enough a car would come along and drive straight into the pit. Too big to get out of, but help was at hand. Out of the compound 10 or more guys would rush out. A quick negotiation with the driver then they would manhandle it out and back on to the road. Then the payoff. They went back inside, driver drove off. Must have seen that a dozen times. Always fun.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Amarcord:

The potholes were lethal when the streets were flooded. Even worse, the manholes when their covers were stolen: you had to spot them from the stream of bubbles they produced.

The dust on the roads at night created an effect like the fog in Victorian London. After a short ride you had a mouth full of grit.

There was virtually no one else on the roads after 10pm, and no lights, not least commercial signage.

The ankles of my jeans/chinos were always red with laterite in the rainy season.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic