Dare or Not Dare

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Dare or Not Dare

Post by Samouth »

It is really sensitive for almost every people when it comes to ask about their age. Asking about age is a really common question amongst Cambodian as we usually don't call people by just name. However, it has changed now. Some Cambodians might piss off when they are asked about age. So now I want to play a game to find out people who do not take their age seriously.

I am 23 years old. Yours?

Note: it is fine, if you don't want to play. :)
Last edited by Samouth on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: Dare or Not Dare

Post by Soi Dog »

Samouth wrote: Asking about age is a really common question amongst Cambodian as we usually don't call people by name.
Cambodians usually call people by their age? :ugeek:
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Soi Dog wrote:
Samouth wrote: Asking about age is a really common question amongst Cambodian as we usually don't call people by name.
Cambodians usually call people by their age? :ugeek:
It sounds like you have never lived here SD.:)

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Hello 23!

;-) Get it?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Hello 23!

;-) Get it?
So sarcastic and you are not so confident to tell your age. It is not easy to explain people who already understood but pretended not to understand. Get it? :lol:

General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Call me Blackjack.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

will call you that. lol

MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

I'm 29. This is an interesting topic to me and I've never been entirely sure how to address people. I call women who are near my age "bong s'rey" but if they are younger, I call them "oun" (unless I want to be flirty, then "oun s'rey"). For men, I call them "bong" if they are near my age and "oun" if they are younger. I refer to tuk tuk drivers as "pbu-ma" because they always say to me, "friend!" in English and so I figure I'm saying the same in Khmer as best I can. If I'm mad at you, I say "neak" because I think it is rude and I want you to know I'm mad (though this is very rare). For older people, I tend to use "lok" and "lok s'rey" because I feel uncomfortable using something more personal, though I've had people correct me and tell me this is too formal.

I'd also like to know what you would call a woman whom you're romantically linked to, but is older.

I could be wrong about most or all of this, so nobody should take this as advice about proper ways to address Khmers.

What are your thoughts, Samouth?
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

Soon be 65 so dtaa. :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

I don't mind what they call me even some call ancient girl, monkey , or A Svet ... But usually I call others Oun or Bong. But it's import what to call people at my work place.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic