Major international retailers banning monkey-picked coconuts

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Major international retailers banning monkey-picked coconuts

Post by phuketrichard »

WTF: whats next, banning milk cause the cows are never allowed to walk around?
banning eggs for same reason

i hate these fuckers

Allegations of animal abuse are prompting major Western retailers to pull Thai coconut products from their shelves, amid accusations that the coconuts are picked by monkeys treated inhumanely. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals claim monkeys are snatched from the wild and trained to pick up to 1,000 coconuts a day. The animal rights group says pigtailed macaques are treated like “coconut-picking machines”.
https://thethaiger.com/news/national/ma ... nuts-video

Used to love getting a fresh coconuts an having the monkey fetching it
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
glennb6
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Major international retailers banning monkey-picked coconuts

Post by glennb6 »

Those minky training camps should teach them to spot PETA nuts and chase them off. But watch, these big Thai companies will cave in to the PR crap PETA is pushing - "only poor Thais climb our coconut trees to pick our coconuts" - "no monkey business on our coconut farms" - "we provide equal rights and equal pay for our minkeys".

I just looked and didn't see a face-palm emoticon gif. Call tech support.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

spent some time up in southern china around Lijiang and Kunming an saw the fishing birds on the Lijiang river
This is in Lijiang on the river, a beautiful area in China.

there used to be a few old guys around here n Kamala that used the monkeys for fetching the coconuts, always a joy to see them riding around
these Peta fuckers should all be strung up
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

PETA: causing trouble wherever they go based on lies an misunderstanding
"However, the ministry is ready to invite foreign diplomats to visit coconut plantations and see how the monkeys pick coconuts so they will realise this is not animal cruelty [as claimed by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta)],'' Mr Boonyarit said.

He also said he has instructed commercial attaches in Thai embassies overseas to provide an explanation to retailers in foreign countries.

Somjai Sae Kow, the owner of a school which trains the monkeys in Surat Thani's Kanchanadit district, said the practice of capturing monkeys from the wild to pick coconuts ceased a long time ago.

Currently, monkeys are bred and raised before being trained, Ms Somjai said. She also denied claims the monkeys are forced to pick up to 1,000 coconuts a day, adding the monkeys do not work every day.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... zty5C-Jh1U
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

yong wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:19 am
<<< ( my avatar, this is in Japan)
but my secret wish still, is to reserect the ancient practice of otter fishing, in Koh Kong, which just died out in this region quite recently.

Long shot, but i still dream on, it is not entirely impossible i reckon.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Are PETA proposing that children should be used instead of monkeys? What other alternative is there?
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Austman »

Monkeys used to get coconuts, Cormorants used for fishing maybe debatable?

BUT SOMETIMES These Animal rights do gooders have to have a good hard look in the mirror! bomb sniffing dogs getting blown away, drug sniffing dogs addicted to drugs, hearing dogs being kept indoors to much, Guide dogs for the blind being to dependant on humans not having an independent natural life, Companion dogs being exposed to human deceases, police dogs exposed to excessive violent behaviour, they even came up with one for the Labrador "Dogs" that were trained for keeping foxes away from a very rare breed of penguins <> excessive exposure to the elements.
My wife said to get one of those pills that'll give me a huge hard on for hours! I brought her back some diet pills, Now I am hiding out in Cambodia for a few years until she calms down!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Austman wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:34 am Monkeys used to get coconuts, Cormorants used for fishing maybe debatable?

BUT SOMETIMES These Animal rights do gooders have to have a good hard look in the mirror! bomb sniffing dogs getting blown away, drug sniffing dogs addicted to drugs, hearing dogs being kept indoors to much, Guide dogs for the blind being to dependant on humans not having an independent natural life, Companion dogs being exposed to human deceases, police dogs exposed to excessive violent behaviour, they even came up with one for the Labrador "Dogs" that were trained for keeping foxes away from a very rare breed of penguins <> excessive exposure to the elements.

And cows,, dont forget those poor cows that are forced to give up their milk every day . No-one ever asks those cows how they feel about having their tits manhandled every day. Where are those Animal rights do gooders.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Don’t forget gerbils. Caged up all day forced to perform in a wheel. Like what’s the point. They don’t go anywhere. At least hook it up to a generator so it can power their TV and lights.

Oh, and chickens having their newborns taken away daily. Heart breaking.

Don’t get me started on cats being forced to seek “forever homes” on noticeboards. Sheesh.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic