Ghislaine Maxwell arrested by FBI on charges related to Jeffrey Epstein

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Ghislaine Maxwell arrested by FBI on charges related to Jeffrey Epstein

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Ghislaine Maxwell has been ‘plagued by rats and stalked by creepy guards’

New York: Ghislaine Maxwell has spoken from behind bars to describe how she has been plagued by rats and “creepy” guards in jail ahead of her forthcoming trial.

The former socialite will appear before a federal court later this month in New York, where she has pleaded not guilty to procuring underage girls for Jeffrey Epstein to abuse. It is expected to be one of the most closely followed criminal cases of the century and has already set in motion pre-trial efforts by Maxwell’s team to shape public perception.

As well as an interview setting out her fetid existence in a US jail, Maxwell is believed to have dyed her hair to conceal grey streaks, while her family have commissioned their own court artist to draw her in a flattering light. A previous sketch provided by the family earlier this year showed Maxwell with dark black hair, well-applied make-up and sitting bolt upright, her hands crossed on a table in front of her.

Sketches by the court artist earlier this year depicted her looking more weary with greyer hair.

This weekend, the 59-year-old described spending her days surrounded by vermin and under the constant gaze of prison guards.

“I used to go to the loo with an open-sewer drain and a friendly rat would regularly visit,” she said in an interview in the Mail on Sunday. “I told the guards but nothing was done until the rat popped out and charged a guard who screamed in terror.”

Maxwell claimed she had stopped taking showers because “creepy guards stand close and stare at me the whole time,” and that she suffered “inhumane” solitary confinement.

Lawyers for Maxwell have previously claimed she endured jail conditions comparable to Hannibal Lecter’s in the 1991 film The Silence of the Lambs, at the Metropolitan Detention Centre in Brooklyn.

Full: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/ ... 598ri.html
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Well a Maxwell testifying with a mask is certainly a
moment to enjoy together.
Warm-up the coffee, this is gonna be long.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:59 pm Lawyers for Maxwell have previously claimed she endured jail conditions comparable to Hannibal Lecter’s in the 1991 film The Silence of the Lambs,
Was there any famous royalty and his dog involved ? That would be fun
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I have no doubt that she is an absolute treasure trove of information and could potentially bring down many, many high profile figures in the event of her case going to court. It's why she's been on remand for so long. I think that they just don't know what to do with her. Another 'Epstein incident' would seem too obvious.

Prince Andrew , I'm sure, is just the tip of a very, very deep iceberg.

I hope she comes to trial soon. My popcorn is starting to go off. It'll be the trial of the century.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

I hope she comes to trial soon. My popcorn is starting to go off. It'll be the trial of the century.
[/quote]

I hope so too but can't help being cynical about it all. My takeaway from Epstein's 'suicide' was that if something similar happened to Maxwell the world would say 'WTF, this is blatant bullshit' , there would be some sort of token investigation, some guards would probably get fired and nothing else would happen. It would be front page in the news for a week then covid and the Kadashians would go back to dominating the news.

If I was a gambling man I'd have $50 on her catching covid and tragically dying from it.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

stalked by creepy guards
The 'creepiness' factor...

ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Am I the only one that read "General Mackevili arrested by FBI.." lol... Morning brain to the rescue!
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

And so the courtroom jousting begins.. :boxing:

Like Eve to Adam, Ghislaine Maxwell ‘blamed for bad behaviour’ of men: lawyer

New York: Just as Eve was blamed for the original sin, Ghislaine Maxwell has been blamed for Jeffrey Epstein’s sick sex abuse of children, a lawyer for the British socialite has told a US jury.

The unexpected Bible lesson came during defence lawyer Bobbi Sternheim’s opening arguments in the Manhattan Federal Court on Monday, US time (Tuesday AEDT). Maxwell is accused of grooming Epstein’s victims for his abuse from the mid-1990s to early 2000s. “Ever since Eve was accused of tempting Adam with the apple, women have been blamed for the bad behaviour of men,” Sternheim said in the Oxford-educated socialite’s highly anticipated sex trafficking trial.

“The charges against Ghislaine Maxwell are for things that Jeffrey Epstein did. But she is not Jeffrey Epstein. She is not like Jeffrey Epstein. And she is not like any of the other men — powerful men, moguls, media giants — who abuse women.”

Prosecutors, meanwhile, described Maxwell as a key enabler of Epstein’s lifestyle, which revolved around defiling young women and girls. Maxwell was Epstein’s “best friend and right hand,” Assistant US Attorney Lara Pomerantz said. Maxwell allegedly lured minors, many of them from broken homes, into Epstein’s dangerous orbit through false promises to change their lives.

“The defendant walked the girls into a room where she knew that a man would molest them, and there were times when she was in the room when it happened, making it all feel normal and casual,” Pomerantz said in her first remarks to the jury. “The defendant sexually exploited young girls. She preyed on vulnerable young girls, manipulated them, and served them up to be sexually abused. The defendant was trafficking kids for sex. That is what this trial is all about.”

Whether he was sleeping in his Upper East Side townhouse, a New Mexico ranch or hosting luxury events on his private Caribbean island, Maxwell made sure a steady flow of minors was available to the now-deceased financier, Pomerantz said. “The defendant and Epstein were partners in crime, they had a playbook — first they got access to young girls, then they gained their trust. They learned about each girl’s hopes and dreams,” the prosecutor said. “They learned about each girl’s family. They often targeted girls of single mothers.”

She coerced the girls through luxury shopping outings, trips to the movies and an interest in the minutiae of their lives, Pomerantz said. The prosecutor said four victims would tell jurors about how Maxwell initially served as a buffer to Epstein’s abuse, waiting for him to pounce before she dropped her friendly facade. “When the defendant sent a 14-year-old girl into a massage room with an adult man, she knew exactly what was going to happen,” said Pomerantz. “She was dangerous. She was setting young girls up to be molested by a predator.”

Sternheim, meanwhile, said Epstein was the “elephant in the room”. His suicide in August 2019 while awaiting trial for sex trafficking resulted in prosecutors blaming Maxwell for his crimes, she argued. “She is a target — a bull’s-eye of anger for women who were or otherwise believed they were victimised by Epstein. Epstein’s death left a gaping hole in the pursuit of justice for many of these women,” Sternheim said. “Ghislaine is on trial here, and you heard about the conduct of Jeffrey Epstein. She is filling that hole and filling an empty chair. She is a brand name, she is a lightning rod, she is a convenient stand-in for the man who can’t be here.”

Describing Epstein as “a mysterious man without attachment,” Sternheim said he manipulated Maxwell and others around him, keeping “parts of his life locked from others” and always hiding the shadiest parts of his persona from his influential friends. “He had no wife. He had no children. He had no boss. Yet, he attracted attention from these rich, powerful, famous people before and after his fall from grace back in 2008,” she said. “In many regards, he was like a 21st-century James Bond. His mystery had stirred interest, and his accusers have shaken the money tree, and millions of dollars have fallen their way.”

Seeing the jury who will decide her fate for the first time, the 59-year-old Maxwell appeared energetic. She wore a beige cashmere sweater and black slacks to opening arguments. Maxwell’s lead lawyer told the jury they would be tasked with deciding the fate of a woman who graduated from one of the most prestigious universities in the world, speaks multiple languages and once counted the world’s most influential people among her friends.

“And she can pilot a helicopter,” Sternheim added.

The daughter of British media mogul Robert Maxwell has pleaded not guilty to six counts alleging she trafficked children for illegal sex. She faces separate counts for allegedly lying under oath.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-amer ... 59dc5.html
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

ItWasntMe wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:52 am Am I the only one that read "General Mackevili arrested by FBI.." lol... Morning brain to the rescue!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Accuser says Ghislaine Maxwell and Jeffrey Epstein picked her up at summer camp when she was 14 years old and sexually abused her for 5 years

Ghislaine Maxwell sits during jury selection in the trial of Maxwell, Jeffrey Epstein’s associate accused of sex trafficking, in a courtroom sketch in New York City, U.S., November 17, 2021.

The first accuser in Ghislaine Maxwell’s sex-trafficking trial said she and Jeffrey Epstein abused her for years starting when she was 14 years old.

“Jane” said Epstein and Maxwell presented themselves as wealthy benefactors shortly after her family became homeless.

She testified that Maxwell and Epstein pulled her into sexually abusive orgies multiple times a month over the course of around five years.

Too long a read to quote so full here: https://www.businessinsider.com.au/ghis ... ld-2021-11
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic