WORK PERMIT REVISITED

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

WORK PERMIT REVISITED

Post by taabarang »

I found this post on the other forum; I wish I could have found it here, but I'm happy to have it. The poster is Chuangt2u and while it seems highly credible; I would like some verification. I would be especially grateful if OP would pm the name of the man and what province it was in since my provinces are like fiefdoms and I doubt there will be uniformity of interpretation or application. So, if the issue concerns you and you have stopped reading the other forum have a good read here.

"During a visit today, not my visit, the MLVT said:
- a workpermit is a stamp in the workbook - a little like an old visa
- anyone not working doesn't need a workpermit - but if you're working, you need a workbook and workpermit
- you cannot make backpayment if you're not working as you can't get a workbook, so they can't process you
- the workbook contains: the work permit, start/finish dates of employment, and receipts for payment of all monies, including backpayment. The receipta are glued/stapled/fixed inside the workbook.
- yearly payment for the work permit is made by the employer
- the employee is supposed to keep/have possession of the workbook, which is date-stamped by the MLVT at the beginning and end of employment periods, and the employee gets to keep and take the workbook along to any following employment/employer
- backpayment runs at $100 a year
- backpayment can be made at the 'Foriegn Control Office' at the MLVT and receipts are issued
- backpayment responsibility is on the employer. However, for previous employers, the current employer is not responsible
- fines made re having no work permit over and above the $100 a year backpayment are made for not having extended an existing workpermit stamp by the end of March each year and run at $80, so $180 backpayment (including fine) if you don't renew an old workpermit before 1st April. This applies to existing workpermits.
- the MLVT representative spoken to had no knowledge of any '$5 a day' fines after April 1st 2015

More to follow - looking for areas to question further - suggestions?
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing it, doesn't go away."
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: WORK PERMIT REVISITED

Post by General Mackevili »

1) I believe they said that.

2) I also believe it's as wishy washy as everything else they say.

3) They will probably also tell you that there is very little corruption involved in their department, LoL.

4) So, while I believe C2U about what they "said," this has nothing whatsoever to do with how they actually do it, LoL.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

You could be right General, it's hard to be optimistic in this country when money is involved. It's not my only iron in the fire however. I've got too much at stake to base my faith on a "spokesman" from any ministry.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

There has been Further good follow up discussion on this post. Go to this post for further discussion and follow the thread but skip the first four posts. [k440 link removed]
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

^ that discussion is also all over the place as far as I can tell.

One says no work = no workbook = no back payments due,
next says past business visas in your passport = back payments due.

Clear as mud.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Soi Dog wrote:
Clear as mud.
That's the biggest problem. There just ISN'T an answer to the question.

It's like going around asking if anyone knows if the coin toss for the next game will be heads or tails.

Nobody knows. Not even the guy that will be tossing the coin. He can tell you it will be "heads," but until it happens, an answer really doesn't exist!

The official who said That might really plan on doing that, but it could literally change tomorrow, or only be applied to every other person, etc.

The ONLY thing that will actually be helpful is a trend of things that ACTUALLY HAPPEN. Not what they promise. Not what's in the paper. Not what's written in the law. Not what you heard they told your friend, etc.

WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS. All we can do is wait.

I would also like to point out that early on it was some expats in Kampot who got blamed for everything getting tighter because they demanded an official answer. Well, they got one. Know what the answer was? "You pay now! ! !"

So, I think everyone just needs to relax and see what happens.

Even God doesn't know what will happen.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Again, have to wait for the dust to settle and the cogs to start moving in a coherent way. Till then it's best to sit tight. People all over Facebook and various forums are getting their panties twisted in a bunch. It seems to be a favourite expat pastime as of late.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

General Mackevili wrote:1) I believe they said that.

2) I also believe it's as wishy washy as everything else they say.

3) They will probably also tell you that there is very little corruption involved in their department, LoL.

4) So, while I believe C2U about what they "said," this has nothing whatsoever to do with how they actually do it, LoL.
Seems the Minister of Labor might agree with you. He has just issued a warning to officials, stating that making mistakes, when issuing foreign work permits, could lead to a visit by the Anti Corruption unit. :hattip:

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/labo ... its-77922/
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I wonder if mentioning the anti corruption unit when dealing with the Gestapo would help or backfire
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Yeah, that's a hard call Stroppy, but I would think twice before using it as a point of negotiation.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic