Private Schools Request Permission to Reopen

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phoung Vantha 02/07/2020 1:23 PM
The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport is working on a 3-phase reopening plan, its spokesman says

PHNOM PENH—The Cambodia Chamber of Commerce will submit a request to the government, asking for private schools to reopen in August or September.

During a meeting of the chamber on July 1, Chamber Vice-President Lim Heng said that all private-school representatives have requested to reopen their schools in August or September, stressing that they would do so in accordance with the Ministry of Health's directives to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).

Schools say they will soon be bankrupt if they cannot reopen, Heng said. "They bring up the argument that, if workers can get on trucks together and work together, if [some in] the garment sector can continue to function normally, why can’t a school run as a school since it is not as crowded as [factories in] the garment sector," he said.

Heng added that the schools are waiting for the government's decision.

Education Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said on Thursday (July 2) that he could not say how the Ministry of Education, Youth, and Sport would respond as the private-school request had not been received yet.
https://cambodianess.com/article/privat ... -to-reopen
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Private Schools Request Permission to Reopen

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Schools to be reopened in ‘three stages’
Voun Dara | Publication date 02 July 2020 | 21:50 ICT

With guidance from Prime Minister HE, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, is in the process of reopening schools in three stages. But no timeline has been set, ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha said on Thursday.

Soveacha said the first stage will be to reopen the higher-standard schools. Medium-standard schools will be next and finally minimum-standard schools.

“The ministry has been collaborating with the ministries of Health and Economy and Finance, to discuss wellbeing and socio-economic factors,” he said.

Soveacha said his ministry would inform the public about the dates and closely monitor the first stage before proceeding to the second and third stages.

Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng, who chairs the Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19, held a meeting with Minister of Education Hang Chuon Naron to float the idea of gradually reopening schools in steps.

On July 2, the health ministry posted on Facebook: “The meeting was to review the possibility of gradually reopening some of the higher-standard international educational institutions. But the institutions must adhere to key principles in line with ministry measures to ensure against the spread Covid-19.”
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... 92h5TK9A7E
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I have a friend in this position of owning and running of a private school, like many other foreign run business at this time they have outgoings such has rents/mortgage whatever their positions they lay ideal without an income, or that of any government aid or no official re-start date, staff lay ideal, that is if the foreign language teachers have not left already. I would think the result of the coronavirus has taken its toll on many business, resulting in hardship, and even shutdown in many cases, foreign and Khmer. I imagine its an uneasy question of what is to be done, protection of its counties children against possible virus and spread, or that of the youths education.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

what's a 'minimum standards' school suppposed to be anyway? Sounds like the kind of place I usually work at
Last edited by God'sGift on Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

God'sGift wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:31 pm what's a 'mimimum standards' schools suppposed to be anyway? Sounds like the kind of place I usually work at
I'd imagine it's the national schools.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

We have been told to prepare to open begining of august
Andy S Tawatin
Expatriate

Post by Andy S Tawatin »

CNN reported a few hours ago that some schools will be opened next month.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Private school's to reopen, business men no need to quarantine, money talks
Help I've been stuck homeless for 4 months I'm starting to get grumpy
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
BDT92
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BDT92 »

There is no need for any schools to be so close to bankruptcy. Too many schools just threw in the towel and shut down after the command to halt normal operations. They should have instead established an e-learning system but did not even think of trying it. They could have attempted to find a way to find at least a reduced cash-flow to come into the school.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:39 am Soveacha said the first stage will be to reopen the higher-standard schools. Medium-standard schools will be next and finally minimum-standard schools.

“The ministry has been collaborating with the ministries of Health and Economy and Finance, to discuss wellbeing and socio-economic factors,” he said.
I translated this to mean simply

They who are prepared to pay, will get to open first.

The second sentence simply means another Gov. Dept. wants a slice of the pie.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic