Private Schools Request Permission to Reopen

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Private Schools Request Permission to Reopen

Post by explorer »

Duncan wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:24 pm Cambodia is going to end up with a lot of uneducated kids capable of growing rice or working in the garment factories.
In a normal year students go to school, and most have extra classes, normally at their teachers homes.

This year:

Some students are learning online instead of going to school. Some don't learn online because their parents can't afford the internet. I have been told, learning online is difficult, so they may not learn much. Some don't learn online because it is too difficult. In some places, the internet is too slow, making learning online even more difficult.

In some places, almost all students who have exams coming up, and whose parents can afford it, are attending extra classes. So they should get similar exam results to previous years. I can't speak for the entire country.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

mcam wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:31 pm Schools are still planning on having the national exams on the 17-18th.
Which schools ?
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

Duncan wrote:Cambodia is going to end up with a lot of uneducated kids capable of growing rice or working in the garment factories. The school my girls go to https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrgEbD ... z1.VgIOYk- is not on the list . Should I start teaching them how to plant rice now so they have an early education on the subject.
My kids school is also not on the list. Their school is very good and back in Feb/March they were annoyingly and extremely safe/secure. The only other step they could have taken was to make everyone wear hazmat suits. Makes me wonder what the schools on this list had to do to.open first.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

There is also a year 9 exam, which is normally held on a different date to the year 12 exam.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I have been told of one school where students don't attend school, but they attend extra classes at the school.

Of course, this stops the spread of the Coronavirus.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

lostjeremy wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:41 pm
Duncan wrote:Cambodia is going to end up with a lot of uneducated kids capable of growing rice or working in the garment factories. The school my girls go to https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrgEbD ... z1.VgIOYk- is not on the list . Should I start teaching them how to plant rice now so they have an early education on the subject.
My kids school is also not on the list. Their school is very good and back in Feb/March they were annoyingly and extremely safe/secure. The only other step they could have taken was to make everyone wear hazmat suits. Makes me wonder what the schools on this list had to do to.open first.

All the schools on the list have students from high ranking people in cambodia attending
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

explorer wrote:I have been told of one school where students don't attend school, but they attend extra classes at the school.

Every school outside city limits. Our family just finished a month long road trip all around the country and anytime we passed a school between 9-11 in the morning it was full of students or others walking/biking to/from school. Wife said the same, it's just extra classes not actually school. Made no sense to me. Just like how the KTVs should be closed but if you drive down street 2004 they are all open.

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Learning in Cambodia generally sucks, but online learning is even worse.

The 3G network is slow, teaching 20-30 at a time is extremely difficult, computer (microphone) discipline in virtually non existent even after 4 months and most important: I don’t want my kid to look at a computer screen four hours a day.

So I hired a private teacher. Much recommended, and they’re cheap now....
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Soriya wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:11 pm All the schools on the list have students from high ranking people in cambodia attending
oh come on, that's a mere coincidence

monstra mihi bona!
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

lostjeremy wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:31 pm
explorer wrote:I have been told of one school where students don't attend school, but they attend extra classes at the school.

Every school outside city limits. Our family just finished a month long road trip all around the country and anytime we passed a school between 9-11 in the morning it was full of students or others walking/biking to/from school. Wife said the same, it's just extra classes not actually school. Made no sense to me. Just like how the KTVs should be closed but if you drive down street 2004 they are all open.

I live on 2004 and prior to 2 or so weeks ago, all where closed
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic