Vann Molyvann's House for sale - MTT

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Vann Molyvann's House for sale - MTT

Post by angkorjohn2 »

I saw that Vann Molyvann's house is up for sale, what a truly amazing property to be able to own. I hope whoever is lucky enough to buy it keeps it as it is and doesn't build another featureless glass tower on it.
Affectionately known as “Man Who Built Cambodia”, Vann Molyvann was responsible for some of the most iconic buildings during Cambodia’s “Golden Age” in the 1950s and 60s. After studying architecture in France he returned to Cambodia in 1956 as the country’s first qualified architect.

His passion and talent quickly saw him appointed to the Head of Public Works and State Architect by the King. He then set upon the design and implementation of a development plan for the entire country, including new towns, infrastructure and monuments, all underpinned by his unique brand of architecture. Now known as “New Khmer architecture”, Vann’s style is a distinctive blend of traditional Khmer design with modernist principles.

Located on Mao Tse-tung Boulevard, the house stands proudly as a prominent feature in an area that has been homogenized by rectangular townhouse style shops and residences.

When discussing that design of his home Molyvann recalled it as ‘a chance for me to play’. Elegant and simple in plan whilst at the same time incorporating exquisite detail, as with many of his buildings the most distinctive feature is the roof – a feat of engineering in itself.
https://ips-cambodia.com/van-molyvann-r ... -for-sale/

ImageImageImageImageImage
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Vann Molyvann's House for sale - MTT

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:41 pm cambodian-culture-and-language/famous-c ... nn#p423984
They want $7M for it apparently.
Thanks for the link, I did wonder. Just out of my price range then :beer3:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I think this was posted a month or so back. It worked out at $8750 per square meter. Forget that shit, it's not going for preservation at that price and it's not even that great an area.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

I doubt the family have owned it for a long time. Wasn’t the last time he was there the 70s?

Agree. Save it for future generations.
Maybe HE can buy it but obviously not from the government money, oh no, but “donations”. Just like those military vehicles or that new monstrous building for the ilk.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:19 pm I think this was posted a month or so back. It worked out at $8750 per square meter. Forget that shit, it's not going for preservation at that price and it's not even that great an area.
yes I missed the thread as it was attached to a wider one on Vann Molyvann. Got the IPS link emailed to me by them yesterday. It certainly isn't a $7million place as nice as it is and its history.

talking of inflated prices i came across this - nearly $3million for two shitty old apartments overlooking Olympic Market....hopefully it's a typo

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

How to Preserve Vann Molyvann’s $7M House
Cambodianess 27/05/2020 10:28 AM
Rightly or wrongly, Samnang and Sothie have found their conversations gradually receding from the topic of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) as Cambodia returns to some semblance of normality. Instead today, the two men were attentively following the public discourse on one of Cambodia’s most recognizable architect’s house, which has been listed for sale at $7 million. The house itself is unique, intricate and purpose-built as the private residence of one Vann Molyvann—a reputable Cambodian-born architect and engineer whose work throughout the 1950s and 1960s earned him a reputation of a meticulous and finely-tuned designer. Having passed away in 2017, Molyvann’s home is now on the market, but what does the public make of the asking price?

Samnang: Eh, Sothie! I have heard that Grandfather Vann Molyvann’s house has put on sale for $7 million, can this be true?

Sothie: Of course! It is true.

Samnang: Oh, what a shame!

Sothie: Why is it regrettable?

Samnang: You know, that house is a priceless legacy that holds the cultural and architectural value of Cambodia, who knows what will happen to it now?

Sothie: The cultural and architectural value is surely a precious thing. However, Molyvann’s family is in need of the money and the house had to be put on sale.

Samnang: I wonder how the public will feel about such an artefact of Cambodia’s history being put up for sale to the highest bidder…

Sothie: Well, some people have demonstrated their sense of regret by mentioning that the family who owns the house should not have put his house on sale, since a home is a family’s legacy for generations. Others say that the government should have managed to buy the house and convert it into a historical building, a library or even a museum.

Samnang: Under normal circumstances, $7 million would be a lot, but this is no normal house—it has intrinsic value to it, surely $7 million is not a fair price for such a slice of Cambodian history?

Sothie: I know what you mean, but it’s hard to say, Samnang. You see, it is a $7 million house which covers 924 square-meters, so you’re paying $7,575 per square-meter. From a real estate perspective, the house is a bit expensive, but if you include the artistic, cultural and architectural value, well, then $7 million doesn’t seem that expensive. The value depends on the willingness of the purchasers. So, when after the house is sold, will they demolish it and turn it into a condominium? Will they transform it into an architectural museum? Or will they do something else completely different to the house?

Samnang: There’s a lot of uncertainty and I suppose a lot of concern that something terrible could happen to such a cultural relic, what would you like to see done in this instance?

Sothie: Personally, I think the owners of the house should sell it to Phnom Penh City Hall at a reasonable price. Then, the local authorities should preserve the house by turning it into a museum, a sort of historical site if you like. Then the government can sell tickets to visitors, both locals and foreigners, who wish to visit the site and return the revenues back to the government. In this way, all related parties will receive the benefits. The owners, the authorities, local citizens and tourists can all benefit from this historical and architectural masterpiece and we don’t lose a piece of our history for the sake of another property developer.
https://cambodianess.com/article/how-to ... s-7m-house
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

That roof must be a sieve...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Dont worry the heritage value will all be gone when there is a electrical fault and the place is burnt down and replaced with a modern Chinese 40 story hotel with a shopping center on the ground floor for the benefit of all Cambodians to use.
Spoiler:
Oops, sorry my crystal ball is malfunctioning
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:10 pm
talking of inflated prices i came across this - nearly $3million for two shitty old apartments overlooking Olympic Market....hopefully it's a typo

They are advertised as apartments but it seems they mean the whole 2 shophouses if you read the blurb. Still ridiculously overpriced though.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic