sad day for Hong Kong

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Re: sad day for Hong Kong

Post by Austman »

I am sure the Governments of Australia and England would have a very good understanding of all the regulations surrounding their publicly announced offers of short cuts to citizenship, But you never know! Would I stay in HK if I was given a sniff of getting a kick start in UK or Australia? I dont know China is/has aaahhhh very accommodating government. what would I do?

The PM said Hong Kong's freedoms were being violated by a new security law and those affected would be offered a "route" out of the former UK colony.
About 350,000 UK passport holders, and 2.6 million others eligible, will be able to come to the UK for five years.
And after a further year, they will be able to apply for citizenship.the BBC news says up to 3 million HK residents will be offered a chance to settle in the UK and ultimately apply for citizenship Boris Johnson said about 350k UK passport holders and 2.6 million others eligible will be able to come to come to the UK for 5 years after one year apply for citizenship.
The UK government has been raising concerns about the national security law and very publicly trying to pressure Beijing into a change of heart.
That has clearly failed - so ministers are now fulfilling their promise to allow some three million British Overseas Nationals to come to the UK. This is a significant move and the government wants to send a strong message.
But there will be more pressure now to rethink other elements of our relationship with China.
All of the above is off the BBC news
Maybe its just tit for tatting by the UK with China> and you cant always believe what you read
After all is there many Countries left on the planet that China is not having problems with or buying out! Austman
My wife said to get one of those pills that'll give me a huge hard on for hours! I brought her back some diet pills, Now I am hiding out in Cambodia for a few years until she calms down!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Brits can brain drain all of HK’s talent, and convince all the mega corporations to relocate to City of Light.
And gain tax paying citizens and entities for the next 20 years. Maybe even convince all the able bodied on the government dole to shame themselves into getting a job.

It’s a win for Boris Johnson.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

China threatens to trap up to 3 million people in Hong Kong by no longer recognising their UK overseas passports

Liu Xiaoming, Chinese ambassador to the UK.

China’s ambassador to the UK on Thursday warned that Beijing would take steps to invalidate British national (overseas) passports, potentially trapping up to three million people in Hong Kong.

Liu Xiaoming said: “China threatens no one but we just let you know the consequences. China wants to be a friend of the UK and a UK partner, but if you do not want to be a partner and our friend, and you want to treat China as a hostile power, you will pay the price. We have a thousand reasons to make this relationship successful and not one reason to make it fail.”

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/hong ... rts-2020-7
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aggro »

How does the new law in Hong Kong differ from the sedition act, public order act, internal security act, and Article 14(1), down in Singapore, which all the western powers and media seem to be fine with?

:)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

aggro wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:35 pm How does the new law in Hong Kong differ from the sedition act, public order act, internal security act, and Article 14(1), down in Singapore, which all the western powers and media seem to be fine with?

Cause this new law means you can be extradited for the offense to the mainland.
Basically it will be used to crush the Hong Kong protest movement and also contain wide-sweeping "national security" offenses that extend far beyond Hong Kong citizenship or the city's borders to curb general dissent
Beijing will have the final say. The law grants China jurisdiction and the right to take over a prosecution under three different scenarios - complicated foreign interference cases, "very serious" cases and when national security faces "serious and realistic threats". Some trials will be held behind closed doors.

Controversially, the law also empowers China to set up a national security agency in the city, staffed by officials who are not bound by local law when carrying out duties.
Looks like there will be a mass exodus very soon for some to the UK

Link to what China is currently doing to get people it feels are dissidents living overseas.
https://www.thephuketnews.com/hong-kong ... u3A-wdfr_Q
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aggro »

I am not a citizen of the PRC. And neither are you.
Basically it will be used to crush the Hong Kong protest movement and also contain wide-sweeping "national security" offenses that extend far beyond Hong Kong citizenship or the city's borders to curb general dissent
In other words, it will do the exact same thing as the sedition act, public order act, internal security act, and Article 14(1) in Singapore, except that offenders will be punished in mainland China instead of locally.

So why is this okay in Singapore (or Thailand with Lèse-majesté, Article 44 and whatever else they make up), but not Hong Kong or mainland China?

Is it like real estate where it's all about location, location, location?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

aggro wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:41 pm
I am not a citizen of the PRC. And neither are you.
In other words, it will do the exact same thing as the sedition act, public order act, internal security act, and Article 14(1) in Singapore, except that offenders will be punished in mainland China instead of locally.

So why is this okay in Singapore (or Thailand with Lèse-majesté, Article 44 and whatever else they make up), but not Hong Kong or mainland China?

Is it like real estate where it's all about location, location, location?
duck duck go is ur friend
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=what+makes+th ... 1-1&ia=web

1st link; Hong Kong security law: What is it and is it worrying?

unless ur just trolling :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aggro »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:44 pm1st link; Hong Kong security law: What is it and is it worrying?

unless ur just trolling :beer3:
I know what western governments, western media and people in Hong Kong think.

I am asking why you personally are so set aback by the criminalization of speech in Hong Kong but not Singapore or Thailand where the same rules and punishments have been around for years.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

aggro wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:35 pm How does the new law in Hong Kong differ from the sedition act, public order act, internal security act, and Article 14(1), down in Singapore, which all the western powers and media seem to be fine with?

Is it because the PRC signed an agreement with the UK that Hong Kong would maintain autonomy from the Chinese mainland until 2043 and they've broken that with these new security laws?

From my earlier post link:
The new law imposed on Hong Kong by the Chinese Communist Party, which is also opposed by the European Union and the US, is designed to curtail anti-government protests there.

Prime Minister Johnson said it breached the Sino-British Joint Declaration that the UK and China signed in 1984 by effectively putting an end to the “one country, two systems” agreement under which China promised to grant Hong Kong more freedoms than the mainland for 50 years from its return to Chinese control in 1997.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

aggro wrote:How does the new law in Hong Kong differ from the sedition act, public order act, internal security act, and Article 14(1), down in Singapore, which all the western powers and media seem to be fine with?

Singapore government passes a law that affects the Singapore people. Their government, their people.

China passes a law that affects Hong Kong people. The Hong Kong people didn’t ask for this law, it was imposed on them. Furthermore, the law grabs people from the streets of Hong Kong and sends them to China for processing.

Not their government, not their people.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic