sad day for Hong Kong

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
User avatar
Yerg
Expatriate
Posts: 1120
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:41 pm
Reputation: 736
Location: 1984
Great Britain

Re: sad day for Hong Kong

Post by Yerg » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:30 pm

HK was always somewhere I wished to visit. Is it still somewhere that a tourist could enjoy or has it changed much since the handover?
User avatar
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:42 pm
Reputation: 43
Cambodia

Re: sad day for Hong Kong

Post by Chuck Borris » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:51 pm

China got courage when they saw that USA and Russia can do whatever they want and world looks other way. And wet dreams of western colonialists to subdue 3000+ years old dynasty. Nothing good on the horizon for sure.
User avatar
Teddy1
Expatriate
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:37 pm
Reputation: 67
Great Britain

Re: sad day for Hong Kong

Post by Teddy1 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:13 am

Yerg wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:30 pm
HK was always somewhere I wished to visit. Is it still somewhere that a tourist could enjoy or has it changed much since the handover?
I was in HK March 2019. I have to say I didnt really like it. It was so crowded, I felt I couldnt breath. It was also very expensive. I prefer Singapore.
Saying that much has changed in HK now. I have no desire to revisit.
On another note, I was also in Beijing and saw the Soldiers marching outside Red Square. They were so focused, with these blank robotic glazed eyes and I remember thinking, lord if we ever get into a war with these guys we are so screwed!!
My entire life can be summed up in one sentence:
"Well that didnt go as planned".
User avatar
newkidontheblock
Expatriate
Posts: 2285
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 3:51 am
Reputation: 737

Re: sad day for Hong Kong

Post by newkidontheblock » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:01 am

angsta wrote:
chinesetakeaway wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:11 am
... and probably any chance of a peaceful reunification of Taiwan!
Yeah because that was always likely.
President Xi has made it into a personal mission, like Belt and Road, and Hong Kong.

Xinhua says it’s inevitable. And billions believe them.

Including my parents.

That and Spratley Islands being turned into a giant military base. And the new aircraft carriers and general transition to a deep water navy.

Taiwan is of far greater strategic and economic importance than the Spratley’s ever were.

Military think tank believes Japan and South Korea would intervene before allowing that reality to occur.

War is coming. Hopefully not in my lifetime.
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 11466
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 2849
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Re: sad day for Hong Kong

Post by phuketrichard » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:44 am

1st visited in 82 and than lived an worked out of there from 84-89, haven't been back other than the airport since the handover ..it was a great place an loads of fun
China’s top legislature formally approved a controversial national security law for Hong Kong on Tuesday (June 30) that will provide Beijing with enforcement powers to prohibit and punish acts of secession, subversion, terrorism and foreign interference in the Chinese-ruled special administration region.

International opprobrium has mounted against Beijing with critics of the far-reaching new law, which was not fully disclosed to the public prior to its unanimous passage by the Standing Committee of China’s National People’s Congress, saying it will effectively criminalize dissent and stifle the city’s freedoms and semi-autonomous status.

The legislation puts Beijing further at odds with Western governments and will further strain US-China relations, which have already sunk to their lowest point in years. The US announced last month that it would begin removing Hong Kong’s special trade status under US law on ground
The US Senate unanimously passed a bipartisan bill on June 26 as a response to Beijing’s tough national security law. The Hong Kong Autonomy Act would require sanctions on individuals that have “materially contributed” to China’s perceived failure to comply with treaty obligations of the 1984 Sino-British Joint Declaration and the city’s Basic Law.
The new US bill also includes secondary sanctions against any foreign financial institution that knowingly conducts “significant transactions” with designated individuals, raising the prospect that Hong Kong banks and Chinese lenders could be prevented from accessing the US dollar payment system in what would mark a major escalation of punitive deterrence.
https://asiatimes.com/2020/06/china-dro ... d7ff190aa4
Lets see what happens today, Hong Kong police have prohibited an annual pro-democracy march from going ahead on July 1, citing social-distancing rules brought about by the coronavirus pandemic that prohibit gatherings of more than 50 people.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
User avatar
angsta
Expatriate
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 7:54 am
Reputation: 63
Saudi Arabia

Re: sad day for Hong Kong

Post by angsta » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:10 pm

newkidontheblock wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:01 am
angsta wrote:
chinesetakeaway wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:11 am
... and probably any chance of a peaceful reunification of Taiwan!
Yeah because that was always likely.
President Xi has made it into a personal mission, like Belt and Road, and Hong Kong.

Xinhua says it’s inevitable. And billions believe them.

Including my parents.

That and Spratley Islands being turned into a giant military base. And the new aircraft carriers and general transition to a deep water navy.

Taiwan is of far greater strategic and economic importance than the Spratley’s ever were.

Military think tank believes Japan and South Korea would intervene before allowing that reality to occur.

War is coming. Hopefully not in my lifetime.
Are they generally well informed on this type of thing?
xandreu
Expatriate
Posts: 681
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:37 am
Reputation: 573
Great Britain

Re: sad day for Hong Kong

Post by xandreu » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:24 pm

I'm surprised the UK is not doing a lot more about this (perhaps they are behind the scenes) considering China is trampling all over the rule book which was negotiated between the two countries just before HK was 'returned' to China.

Unfortunately, this is what happens when countries amass nuclear arsenals. Far from it being a deterrent, it can often mean that those countries who are prepared to 'play chicken' can trample all over the place as they please.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 10988
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 2328
Tokelau

Re: sad day for Hong Kong

Post by Anchor Moy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:50 pm

The UK could have done more for the people of HK (for access to the UK and UK passports etc) when they negociated the handover. Unfortunately, they didn't. It's too late now IMO, and the UK has less international clout than they had at the time.
I was living in HK just before the handover, and although I'm not a specialist on Chinese international relations, it seemed obvious to me that the Chinese government would end up taking over HK governance before the date due. I'm just surprised that people are surprised at the reaction by the Chinese. It was so foreseeable.
:-o
Sad day for HK, yes, but it was going to happen some day.
User avatar
Duncan
Sir Duncan
Posts: 8151
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:22 pm
Reputation: 2332
Location: Wonder Why Central

Re: sad day for Hong Kong

Post by Duncan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:30 pm

Anchor Moy wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:50 pm
The UK could have done more for the people of HK (for access to the UK and UK passports etc) when they negociated the handover. Unfortunately, they didn't. It's too late now IMO, and the UK has less international clout than they had at the time.
I was living in HK just before the handover, and although I'm not a specialist on Chinese international relations, it seemed obvious to me that the Chinese government would end up taking over HK governance before the date due. I'm just surprised that people are surprised at the reaction by the Chinese. It was so foreseeable.
:-o
Sad day for HK, yes, but it was going to happen some day.
And in 10 or 20 years time we will still be saying the same. Let's just say if we need to find a fool we should buy a mirror.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
User avatar
Spigzy
Expatriate
Posts: 928
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:50 am
Reputation: 685
Great Britain

Re: sad day for Hong Kong

Post by Spigzy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:35 pm

Anchor Moy wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:50 pm
The UK could have done more for the people of HK (for access to the UK and UK passports etc) when they negociated the handover. Unfortunately, they didn't. It's too late now IMO, and the UK has less international clout than they had at the time.
I was living in HK just before the handover, and although I'm not a specialist on Chinese international relations, it seemed obvious to me that the Chinese government would end up taking over HK governance before the date due. I'm just surprised that people are surprised at the reaction by the Chinese. It was so foreseeable.
:-o
Sad day for HK, yes, but it was going to happen some day.
Asbolutely this. Should change the subject to "Inevitable day for Hong Kong".
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Deefer, Johno35, lagrange, phuketrichard, PSD-Kiwi, SINUS, Soriya, Spigzy, xandreu, YeP and 126 guests