Coffee suggestions in Cambodia?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Coffee suggestions in Cambodia?

Post by BklynBoy »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:02 am It's a good thread this one. May I ask how members prepare there coffee, do you have a perculater, being electric, or the type that sits on the gas stove.
Thanks.. I didn't realize how much goes into purchasing good coffee-- of course "good" is subjective. Grinding your own coffee seems cool but many times i just want my coffee and go .. but seems like it can be worth it if have the time.

I have a cafetera. Its pretty simple but makes 1 or 2 cups of coffee per use

Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
aem
Tourist
Mayotte

Post by aem »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:02 am It's a good thread this one. May I ask how members prepare there coffee, do you have a perculater, being electric, or the type that sits on the gas stove.
https://gzhls.at/blob/ldb/b/b/8/4/d14ff ... bf0969.pdf

I use this filter machine with size 4 Melitta filters and the Cambodian Arabica from Sin Veng Yu and the result is really good.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

BklynBoy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:17 am
Thanks.. I didn't realize how much goes into purchasing good coffee-- of course "good" is subjective. Grinding your own coffee seems cool but many times i just want my coffee and go .. but seems like it can be worth it if have the time.

Do you have a cafetiere or a Moka pot?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

cautious colin wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:18 pmDo you have a cafetiere or a Moka pot?
Yeah, I was going to point out that it's a Moka pot, but I've seen different terms being used before. Sometimes a French press is also called a cafetiere. I get the "just wanting the coffee to go" bit. I only started drinking coffee a few years ago (2-3?), and it was always takeaway in one of my bottles.
I have a cheap Thai electric kettle. I don't think stovetop is useful. Electric is way less finicky. I use a higher-end hand grinder and an espresso machine. I now love all the variables that come into play when making espresso (dose weight, weight out, grind setting, tamp pressure, preinfusion etc). I have a jewelry scale (maybe known as meth scales now?) and keep a small log book of all the shots I've pulled (type of bean, weight in/out, grind setting, taste etc) and yes, I'm a bit anal. I'm no expert, but I've come to enjoy the ritual aspect of it (though not so much early in the morning before my workouts) and the learning curve. This was my pre-lunch coffee:
Pizzalover wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:17 amI stay away from the Pailin because I m not sure about the plantation and the altitude. Paksong is something like a Nirvana for coffee drinkers. So I m on that trip for more than 15 years.
They have another Laotian? Maybe a new addition? If you mind, please add some detail. The packages are all the same and the ladies just check a box for the type.
I would not go for the mixed. Somehow a waste to add robusta.
Coffein: All depends on yourself, stomach, heart, how much you are used to. I lived in the US and got heartburn from the p.ss they have. In Italy and France never ever. So a dark roast, not oily, will keep your stomach safe. As for the rest, I let the experts talk about it. These are academic arguments. First of all, a lot depends on the water and PP and other places are bad. I use a kettle and French press, no fancy expresso machine etc. So as long as you like and you are happy, I wont not give much about such talk. Since I like my coffee with milk, good milk also makes a difference. Most of the milk in PP has sugar added. Fresh milk ? Well, it would be a dream.

The small German grinder soldiers on, I remember exactly the same model from 40 years on. It was a famous Krups. Now no more but it is the same model. As I travel, this small grinder is a savior. In PP I also buy 250gr and replenish. But when traveling there is no choice. Lucky me I went with 3 kgs into the lock down.

Glad that you liked the place and it might add something to your daily routine.
I use a basic filter for water, but a quick look at water hardness and PH from PP and it seems alright. I'll try Paksong in the next few days and I'll snap a picture of the other Laos for you. My current stash will only last me 3-4 more days.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

cautious colin wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:18 pm
BklynBoy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:17 am

Do you have a cafetiere or a Moka pot?
When it was purchased for me, they said it was a cafetera but your right. It's exactly the same thing...
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

I have a Bialetti Stainless Steel, now just 22 years old. Problem is to get the rubber rings. Blue for stainless or red for the aluminum. I prefer the stainless.
https://www.bialetti.it/it_en/coffee-ma ... s-531.html

The coffee shop has those aluminum ones depicted, not cheap. So a good Bialetti is a nice purchase when in Europe, especially in Italy where the price is a bit less outrageous. The Bialetti is very robust and in case your better half wants to settle an argument also potentially lethal.

I m bitching about the water for a simple reason. I am in a mountain region right now. the water comes down from 4000 meters and it is better than anything I can buy in SEA. Somehow the coffee tastes better as well. I m sure there is a scientific explanation.
By the way, same with the fresh milk.

Anyhow, we deal with what we can get and that at a very reasonable price. I had worse coffee in many other places. When living in SHV, I stocked up in PP at SVY for coffee.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Those Bialettis are built to last. You can buy o-rings easily (just order off Amazon via Camboquick). Alternatively, I'm sure by bringing the old ones to a local store (in Phnom Penh, Psah Touyt is good for that) you can find the eact same one.

There is science behind good water making good coffee. YOu can look it up. PH/TDS and CaCO3 ppm all play an important part in the taste of coffee.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

I m the proud owner of a set rubber rings for my bialetti, blue no. 6. Made a trip across town while being in Europe. Dedication at its best.

My problem was that in Phils, probably also other places, some bugs (bacteria?) eat rubber. Lost some hiking boots and had my bialetti disabled. No i m watching my stock of rubber rings like gold.

I was shocked how reasonable the Bialettis are priced on their website as compared what some stores charge. Next time in Europe I purchase backup. Same with good knives from Solingen. No need for junk made in the northern empire.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

It's not bugs, it's the tropics. Everything rubber here turns to mush. I've had really high quality stuff (headlamps/GPS/boots/etc) last a fraction of the time it should have because of the weather. It just eats rubber and glue (if your shoes/boots are sitting and not being worn regularly). Silicone will last way longer.

BTW, I went to that shop and bought some Khmer Pailin coffee. The one I couldn't remember was Laos peaberry. I think I'll try that next.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:35 pm It's not bugs, it's the tropics. Everything rubber here turns to mush.
exactly right
certain rubbers and plastics just disintegrate in hot humidity
manufacturers (cough, appl) should test more thoroughly

monstra mihi bona!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic