Coffee suggestions in Cambodia?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Wilhelm
Tourist
Canada

Re: Coffee suggestions in Cambodia?

Post by Wilhelm »

Those shops that roast and grind the whole beans without filler are great. I'm more used to the Arabica than the Robusta, so sometimes I'll just get those sealed Illy or Lavazza tins (whole bean or ground) at Lucky or Thai Huot in a pinch, which are pretty consistent
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Pizzalover wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:02 am I found the first shop better. It has a lot of customers. THey have Cambodian Coffee from Pailin and Mondulkiri. Plus Laotian from Pakse which means it comes from Paksong on the plateau = It is first class coffee.

They have 100% Arabica, then the robusta and also excelsa. They also claim it is from organic production. For the past years I have been happy with the Pakse Arabica and even take it with me on trips. Right now being stuck at the arse of the world, my generous supply of coffee helps a bit.

Prices are moderate 250 gr for Arabica stands at 3 USD. They want USD and paying in riel comes with a small premium.
Where exactly is that shop? I've been to the Founan one before, but have never bought beans. Prices range from very cheap to average.

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:10 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:42 am Shockingly, considering how well known their brand is, this brand of coffee is actually fake. If you buy a packet of their coffee and compare to real coffee (especially the smell), it's obvious. Same can be said of many other packets of coffee available in markets, even in supermarkets like Lucky.
Lots of pre-packaged coffee here is fake, it's padded out with corn husks and all sorts of crap. That's why I only buy beans and get them ground in front of me.
I think a lot of the old-school guys grew up on that type and enjoy it. I think a lot of it is real beans, but they add flavouring oils/chemicals or something.

Skankykins wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:31 pmDo Rumble Fish deliver around PP? I want to try their beans now.
Yeah, you can message them. I think they charge a few dollars. Alternatively, I think Pelican Pies also stock them, as does Angkor Mart.

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:17 pm bring ur own Peets beans :-)

Two things i request of visitors from the states;
Peets beans and than grind at home
Tums
Always nice to get a treat you're familiar with fro back home, but there's plenty of good coffee available locally.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Skankykins wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:31 pm

I think I'll just settle for taking a tiny bit of sugar in my coffee to eliminate any bitterness.
If you've never had it I can see how you would think a little sugar could make it comparable. But I can assure you, no amount of doctoring can make it even remotely similar to kopi luwak.

Yes, in Vietnam they have the civets in terrible conditions. It's a shame, as I'm an animal lover. I would make a one time purchase that certainly will not change the poor industry-standard here in SEA.

Wild collected kopi luwak is crazy-expensive.

BTW, the beans are not forced into the civets, they love to eat coffee beans. it's in their normal diet.

edit: I just did a little research. Apparently the Palm Civets in Koh Kong are or were heavily trapped in snares. After reading an article from 3 years ago I will forgo and purchases.
Still here, in country...
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Founan ist between Sathapana bank on the corner of Monivong and the bicycle stores, next to some xerox stores. when you go towards O'Russei left hand side.

I did not like their beans, prices and they had hardly customers.

The store Iike has a bustling business. Grinding in front of you, you see your beans. Walk down CDG towards the Central Market, on the left hand side, between Monivong and the gas station. 2nd last store on the block. It is a small store, your nose will catch it before your eyes do.

The Paksong, they write Pakse, beans are not as oily as they once I bought in Laos and dont have a chocolate taste (if that makes sense). Low coffein but full taste, ideal for my as it does not impose limits on my consumption.

The packaged stuff at O'Russei was very disappointing.

Minimum purchase is 250 gr. I dont the price of the other beans, Paksong is 3 USD for 250 gr. No discount for larger quantities, I walked out last time with 3 kgs. Girls are nice and friendly and remember the customers. Like supermarkets, it is USD at the cashier, riel will cost a bit more.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Pizzalover wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:55 am Founan ist between Sathapana bank on the corner of Monivong and the bicycle stores, next to some xerox stores. when you go towards O'Russei left hand side.

I did not like their beans, prices and they had hardly customers
They have a kilo of coffee for as little as $6 and you don’t like their prices? Lao coffee is $8 per kilo.
aem
Tourist
Mayotte

Post by aem »

Sin Veng Yu is the shit and has been recommended by another poster earlier. Here is the location: https://goo.gl/maps/HvFPf3eJcDPNKeJAA

Get yourself a cheap filter machine from one of the electronics shops (bought mine at Aeon mall), coffee filters from Thai Huot or Bayon Market and the 6 USD per kg Arabica from Sin Yeng Vu (ask them to grind the beans for you) and I swear this beats most of the 2 to 3 USD per cup fancy brands around town.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:29 am
Pizzalover wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:55 am Founan ist between Sathapana bank on the corner of Monivong and the bicycle stores, next to some xerox stores. when you go towards O'Russei left hand side.

I did not like their beans, prices and they had hardly customers
They have a kilo of coffee for as little as $6 and you don’t like their prices? Lao coffee is $8 per kilo.
Thanks for the info. I checked them some time (years) ago. I did not like their prices at the time who were higher than Sing Veng Yu and the beans and their condition did not convince me. At the time their price was cash-wise higher at a lower quality. If this has changed, excellent.

I m happy with Sing Ven Yu and a lower price at Founan now would only tempt me if the quality is on par. I should add that this is, of course, a highly personal view written at a time with the preferred coffee in front of me and with fresh milk (not UHT). One aspect I regularly notice is the large numbers of customers picking up bulk orders at S V Y. I also like the fact that I walk in, tell them what i want, sit down, pay, walk out and can be sure all is fine. No drama. Almost shopping like in my old home town.
They do sell some French presses and other stuff but rather pricey. The Chinese made French presses in the market are not so good but do the job somehow. I bought myself a German model small electric coffee grinder. The design is from the 50s or 60s. The brands (Bosch, Braun, Siemens) dont matter, they are all identical and come from the same Slovakian factory. I got mine in Prague. Difficult to find them further West as the low price 15/17 EUR does not attract resale shops who prefer to sell fancy grinders at 100 and more EUR. The grinding SYI is done in front of you and good. I prefer whole beans as it is better for keeping stock plus I like the little ceremony.

I can get some decent coffee in the Phils at 20 USD per kg which is not on par. In Thailand I managed to find some equally good coffee but at a considerable premium. In sum, I am happy in SVY and it turned me from a coffee importer to Cambodia to someone who takes coffee out. My only problem now are the leeches who thirst for my coffee.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Pizzalover wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:55 am The Paksong, they write Pakse, beans are not as oily as they once I bought in Laos and dont have a chocolate taste (if that makes sense). Low coffein but full taste, ideal for my as it does not impose limits on my consumption.

Minimum purchase is 250 gr. I dont the price of the other beans, Paksong is 3 USD for 250 gr. No discount for larger quantities, I walked out last time with 3 kgs. Girls are nice and friendly and remember the customers. Like supermarkets, it is USD at the cashier, riel will cost a bit more.
I actually went there earlier today based on the recommendations. I saw the Pakse. They said the biggest seller was the Cambodian arabica from Pailin ($16/KG vs $12/KG for the Mondulkiri). The robustas are cheaper, and they say they often mix 50-50 if customers want. I think I'll try the Pailin one first as at $4 for 250g it's cheaper than others I've bought and worth experimenting with. Next I'll try that Pakse and the other Laotian arabica which now escapes my mind (was pricier at $8/250g). I still have about 200g of coffee left, so I'll wait before buying. I like to get it as fresh as possible. How can you determine the quantity of caffeine of the Pakse or others?

Pizzalover wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:39 pmThey do sell some French presses and other stuff but rather pricey. The Chinese made French presses in the market are not so good but do the job somehow. I bought myself a German model small electric coffee grinder. The design is from the 50s or 60s. The brands (Bosch, Braun, Siemens) dont matter, they are all identical and come from the same Slovakian factory. I got mine in Prague. Difficult to find them further West as the low price 15/17 EUR does not attract resale shops who prefer to sell fancy grinders at 100 and more EUR. The grinding SYI is done in front of you and good. I prefer whole beans as it is better for keeping stock plus I like the little ceremony.
A good grinder is worth it. Consistency is what's lost on cheaper models, but if they grind for you that's the best as they likely have industrial grinders anyways. I love the routine as well, it's a little ceremony and fun to do, plus you can't beat the freshness/aroma/taste of freshly ground coffee. I only buy small quantities (usually one or two 250g bags of different kinds) at a time and am pretty anal about not buying anything over 2 weeks old (as it takes me 1+ week to finish it).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:50 pm
Pizzalover wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:55 am The Paksong, they write Pakse, beans are not as oily as they once I bought in Laos and dont have a chocolate taste (if that makes sense). Low coffein but full taste, ideal for my as it does not impose limits on my consumption.

I actually went there earlier today based on the recommendations. I saw the Pakse. They said the biggest seller was the Cambodian arabica from Pailin ($16/KG vs $12/KG for the Mondulkiri). The robustas are cheaper, and they say they often mix 50-50 if customers want. I think I'll try the Pailin one first as at $4 for 250g it's cheaper than others I've bought and worth experimenting with. Next I'll try that Pakse and the other Laotian arabica which now escapes my mind (was pricier at $8/250g). I still have about 200g of coffee left, so I'll wait before buying. I like to get it as fresh as possible. How can you determine the quantity of caffeine of the Pakse or others?

Pizzalover wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:39 pmThey do sell some French presses and other stuff but rather pricey. The Chinese made French presses in the market are not so good but do the job somehow. I bought myself a German model small electric coffee grinder. The design is from the 50s or 60s. The brands (Bosch, Braun, Siemens) dont matter, they are all identical and come from the same Slovakian factory. I got mine in Prague. Difficult to find them further West as the low price 15/17 EUR does not attract resale shops who prefer to sell fancy grinders at 100 and more EUR. The grinding SYI is done in front of you and good. I prefer whole beans as it is better for keeping stock plus I like the little ceremony.
A good grinder is worth it. Consistency is what's lost on cheaper models, but if they grind for you that's the best as they likely have industrial grinders anyways. I love the routine as well, it's a little ceremony and fun to do, plus you can't beat the freshness/aroma/taste of freshly ground coffee. I only buy small quantities (usually one or two 250g bags of different kinds) at a time and am pretty anal about not buying anything over 2 weeks old (as it takes me 1+ week to finish it).
I stay away from the Pailin because I m not sure about the plantation and the altitude. Paksong is something like a Nirvana for coffee drinkers. So I m on that trip for more than 15 years.
They have another Laotian? Maybe a new addition? If you mind, please add some detail. The packages are all the same and the ladies just check a box for the type.
I would not go for the mixed. Somehow a waste to add robusta.
Coffein: All depends on yourself, stomach, heart, how much you are used to. I lived in the US and got heartburn from the p.ss they have. In Italy and France never ever. So a dark roast, not oily, will keep your stomach safe. As for the rest, I let the experts talk about it. These are academic arguments. First of all, a lot depends on the water and PP and other places are bad. I use a kettle and French press, no fancy expresso machine etc. So as long as you like and you are happy, I wont not give much about such talk. Since I like my coffee with milk, good milk also makes a difference. Most of the milk in PP has sugar added. Fresh milk ? Well, it would be a dream.

The small German grinder soldiers on, I remember exactly the same model from 40 years on. It was a famous Krups. Now no more but it is the same model. As I travel, this small grinder is a savior. In PP I also buy 250gr and replenish. But when traveling there is no choice. Lucky me I went with 3 kgs into the lock down.

Glad that you liked the place and it might add something to your daily routine.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

It's a good thread this one. May I ask how members prepare there coffee, do you have a perculater, being electric, or the type that sits on the gas stove.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic