Coffee suggestions in Cambodia?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Coffee suggestions in Cambodia?

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Point/s taken ^^^ about the general quality of the coffee here but 3 in 1 is pretty good.

IF you have been in the wilds for weeks and your usual brew has long run out. You get to the first outpost of rough rural civilisation and that is the only option available.
Suupeerb! - but you gotta be "in context"

My point? the best coffee locally available is always just right - regardless of any objective measure of the quality of the bean.
Eg, a rough tough vietname black early morning in the local vn coffee shop is the absolute perfect way to start a phnom penh day.

(even though you would only use it for scouring your drains back home)
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

BklynBoy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:59 pm Can you purchase Vietnamese coffee in Cambodia.
I buy Vietnamese coffee from a place that sells beans opposite Orussey. They grind it for you. $7.50/kg. There are lots of small coffee places that sell the real thing around the place.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:51 am Point/s taken ^^^ about the general quality of the coffee here but 3 in 1 is pretty good.

IF you have been in the wilds for weeks and your usual brew has long run out. You get to the first outpost of rough rural civilisation and that is the only option available.
Suupeerb! - but you gotta be "in context"
Agree it can't get a lot wilder then Phnom Penh. It's the Wifi I refer too. So I go for a dark and earthy, green coffee bean verity, without the sweetness, Trung Nguyen - G7 Instant, while trying once again sorting out my drivers, and trying to retrieve my photos from up in the clouds.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I make espresso at home so have tried pretty much all the local roasters or am working my way through what they sell. A few recommendations, but you'll need to experiment to find what you like bets depending on your brew method:
-RumbleFish in Kampot (they deliver, Haus Blend is the most popular, but many others are great).
-So Wat (Siem Reap and PP: I love their half-dark Vienna roast arabica blend)
-Feel Good Cafe (Feel Good blend and also Khmer blend)
-St.3 Roasters (In Battambang, but they now sell near Aeon 2). Pricey... Have yet to try them, but will give them a shot soonish.

The following two are in some supermarkets and come recommended, but make sure you check the roast date:
-Three Corner Coffee
-Angkor Coffee

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:18 am

Try here for your coffee

Shockingly, considering how well known their brand is, this brand of coffee is actually fake. If you buy a packet of their coffee and compare to real coffee (especially the smell), it's obvious. Same can be said of many other packets of coffee available in markets, even in supermarkets like Lucky.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:42 am Shockingly, considering how well known their brand is, this brand of coffee is actually fake. If you buy a packet of their coffee and compare to real coffee (especially the smell), it's obvious. Same can be said of many other packets of coffee available in markets, even in supermarkets like Lucky.
Lots of pre-packaged coffee here is fake, it's padded out with corn husks and all sorts of crap. That's why I only buy beans and get them ground in front of me.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

bring ur own Peets beans :-)

Two things i request of visitors from the states;
Peets beans and than grind at home
Tums
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Skankykins wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:06 pm There's even a local version of kopi luwak......the one where the bean's forced through (outwards I'm guessing) some mammal's rectum.
That shit ( :mrgreen: ) is delicious, honestly. Where can I buy it and does it come with the hefty price tag as in the west?
Still here, in country...
Skankykins
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Skankykins »

Ravensnest wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:02 pm
Skankykins wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:06 pm There's even a local version of kopi luwak......the one where the bean's forced through (outwards I'm guessing) some mammal's rectum.
That shit ( :mrgreen: ) is delicious, honestly. Where can I buy it and does it come with the hefty price tag as in the west?

Never tried it, bud, and after reading AndyKK's post about keeping the cats in captivity I'm not sure I shall.

If I were to buy some I'd get it in Lucky or somewhere similar due to having low confidence in the integrity of the supply chain here.

I think I'll just settle for taking a tiny bit of sugar in my coffee to eliminate any bitterness.

Do Rumble Fish deliver around PP? I want to try their beans now.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Ravensnest wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:02 pm
I bought a bunch at the PP airport in Feb. The 3-in-1 packets are cheap souvenirs for friends.

Also stuffed my suitcase with 5 bags of Mondulkiri.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic