Visa overstay

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Visa overstay

Post by Alex »

Jaas wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:49 am I am leaving in june And according to my knowledge I over stayed almost a year and 2 month and I am not sure that I can cover the whole penalty fees
You already know on which day you will leave, but you don't know if you can pay the fine? Something is wrong with that plan, back to the drawing board!
Jaas
Tourist
Pakistan

Post by Jaas »

Alex wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:19 am
Jaas wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:49 am I am leaving in june And according to my knowledge I over stayed almost a year and 2 month and I am not sure that I can cover the whole penalty fees
You already know on which day you will leave, but you don't know if you can pay the fine? Something is wrong with that plan, back to the drawing board!
What I am trying to explain is actually I got scammed once from a travel agency here in Cambodia I find an ad online I contact them and they said we can cover it for you and I send them all the information my passport copy and everything later on they send me a message and tell me I need to pay 2000$ which I paid they tell me the process gonna take 2-3 days we will contact you and they never did now I afraid what's gonna happen if I cannot pay all the penalty charges because I am 100% sure I cannot pay and I don't know if there is way for negotiations
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I think you can pay up to 1 month overstay at the airport, beyond that you must visit the DoI place across the road from the airport and go on bended knee, with apologies and all the overstay fee - in your case ~400 days @$10 a day = $4000.

Even with all these, I think they will take a very dim view of a 14-month overstay and you may well have a few days in somewhere very unpleasant while they deal with you. There are many acceptable excuses for a 14-month overstay. What do you have in mind to explain yourself?

AFAIK they don't do discounts, so you better have all the money or don't go there, or you might end up in their overstay detention 'facilities' and you won't like that.

@PSD-Kiwi is the guy you need to advise on the issue.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:38 am I think you can pay up to 1 month overstay at the airport, beyond that you must visit the DoI place across the road from the airport and go on bended knee, with apologies and all the overstay fee - in your case ~400 days @$10 a day = $4000.

Even with all these, I think they will take a very dim view of a 14-month overstay and you may well have a few days in somewhere very unpleasant while they deal with you. There are many acceptable excuses for a 14-month overstay. What do you have in mind to explain yourself?

AFAIK they don't do discounts, so you better have all the money or don't go there, or you might end up in their overstay detention 'facilities' and you won't like that.

High chance he'll end up in detention, also a pretty good chance if he rocks up with at least 3 quarters of the cash to immigration they'll issue him an exit visa and potentially ban him for a certain amount of years.

Or his mistake just cost him three months of his life bunking with Nigerians.
Jaas
Tourist
Pakistan

Post by Jaas »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:38 am I think you can pay up to 1-month overstay at the airport, beyond that you must visit the DoI place across the road from the airport and go on bended knee, with apologies and all the overstay fee - in your case ~400 days @$10 a day = $4000.

Even with all these, I think they will take a very dim view of a 14-month overstay and you may have a few days somewhere very unpleasant while they deal with you. There are many acceptable excuses for a 14-month overstay. What do you have in mind to explain yourself?

AFAIK they don't do discounts, you better have all the money or don't go there, or you might end up in their overstay detention 'facilities' and you won't like that.

Well I do not have any Excuse But I do have something they might need the person who brought me here has his passport copy which I kept when I was entering Cambodia Just for safety. Many have advised me to do cross-border Like apply for Vietnam month visa at the border and pay the penalty charges and from Vietnam can go back to your country but somehow it like you know sounds fishy I don't wanna end off in jail
Jaas
Tourist
Pakistan

Post by Jaas »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:38 am I think you can pay up to 1 month overstay at the airport, beyond that you must visit the DoI place across the road from the airport and go on bended knee, with apologies and all the overstay fee - in your case ~400 days @$10 a day = $4000.

You know I find the platform very late I wanted to know how about if I contact Pakistan Embassy What would Happen please guide me so I can deal with this situation according to the rules and regulations
Jaas
Tourist
Pakistan

Post by Jaas »

Jaas wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:00 am

You know I find the platform very late I wanted to know how about if I contact Pakistan Embassy What would Happen please guide me so I can deal with this situation according to the rules and regulations
I've been following your helpful comments on people who find themselves in difficult situations and in need of good advice. I arrived in Cambodia on a one-month E-Visa in February 2023 for work. The person who brought me here promised to convert my E-Visa to a six-month work permit, but after a month, they left, leaving me stuck here without proper legal paperwork. Although my colleagues are kind, their kindness cannot pay for the penalty fees that I may incur. Sadly, I have been scammed out of $2000 when I tried reaching out to people for help. I was asked to send my passport, ID, and payment to apply for another E-Visa for a month and clear the rest of the penalties. I had to work for an additional six months to make up for the lost funds, but I am still uncertain whether I can cover the penalty fees. Is there any way to negotiate the charges?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jaas wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:27 am

I've been following your helpful comments on people who find themselves in difficult situations and in need of good advice. I arrived in Cambodia on a one-month E-Visa in February 2023 for work. The person who brought me here promised to convert my E-Visa to a six-month work permit, but after a month, they left, leaving me stuck here without proper legal paperwork. Although my colleagues are kind, their kindness cannot pay for the penalty fees that I may incur. Sadly, I have been scammed out of $2000 when I tried reaching out to people for help. I was asked to send my passport, ID, and payment to apply for another E-Visa for a month and clear the rest of the penalties. I had to work for an additional six months to make up for the lost funds, but I am still uncertain whether I can cover the penalty fees. Is there any way to negotiate the charges?
You arrived in Feb 2023. One month later the person who made promises left, so that's April 2023. What have you been doing for the last year to fix your visa problems?

In April 2023, any visa agent could have got you a 1 year extention, plus a work permit - for a price of between $400 to $500, plus up to a month of overstay fees of $10 a day - providing you entered on a Ordinary (EB) visa and not a tourist visa. 95%+ of foreigners living here will know all this, so this must have been known to you a year ago by just talking to other expats. In April 2024 I doubt any normal agent could help you.

You say you have paid an agent $2000. When did you do that and what was it for? A visa and/or to pay overstay fees?

I have no experience of long overstay procedures, I have never allowed myself to get into that situation and I don't know anyone who has. However, I am fairly sure that at some point you are going to have to present yourself to the Department of Immigration opposite the airport and pay a huge overstay fine of $10 per day, so at least $4000 in your case, and be prepared to be detained until your flight is due to leave.

As for discounts, apparently the general rule is NO. However, if you have a prepaid flight home on June 15th (probably unusual for long overstayers, most are caught when broke) and you have a decent chunk of money - say $2000 - and you go to them a couple of days before the 15th, they might - MIGHT - decide to take all your cash, give you two days in the slammer and then frog march you to the airport on the 15th, because you are easy to get rid of. If you get away with this, you are doing well.

As for the Pakistan Embassy, it might be worth a try. As a rule, Embassies are here to promote the interest of their government, not citizens who get into trouble through their own fault. But yours might be keen to help you. It's worth a try, you need all the help you can get.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i have read, not confirmed,
that if ur on a long overstay, you are locked up, go to court and a judge has lowered the overstay amount $$ due and ur deported ONCE you pay the fine>
so u need $$ ready and be able to buy a ticket ( not sure if u can fly to say, thailand or u need return home)

whatever, I'd advise you to have at least the amount needed for paying the full fine AND $$ to cover a ticket out
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jaas
Tourist
Pakistan

Post by Jaas »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:01 am
Jaas wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:27 am

You arrived in Feb 2023. One month later the person who made promises left, so that's April 2023. What have you been doing for the last year to fix your visa problems?

In April 2023, any visa agent could have got you a 1 year extention, plus a work permit - for a price of between $400 to $500, plus up to a month of overstay fees of $10 a day - providing you entered on a Ordinary (EB) visa and not a tourist visa. 95%+ of foreigners living here will know all this, so this must have been known to you a year ago by just talking to other expats. In April 2024 I doubt any normal agent could help you.

You say you have paid an agent $2000. When did you do that and what was it for? A visa and/or to pay overstay fees?

I have no experience of long overstay procedures, I have never allowed myself to get into that situation and I don't know anyone who has. However, I am fairly sure that at some point you are going to have to present yourself to the Department of Immigration opposite the airport and pay a huge overstay fine of $10 per day, so at least $4000 in your case, and be prepared to be detained until your flight is due to leave.

As for discounts, apparently the general rule is NO. However, if you have a prepaid flight home on June 15th (probably unusual for long overstayers, most are caught when broke) and you have a decent chunk of money - say $2000 - and you go to them a couple of days before the 15th, they might - MIGHT - decide to take all your cash, give you two days in the slammer and then frog march you to the airport on the 15th, because you are easy to get rid of. If you get away with this, you are doing well.

As for the Pakistan Embassy, it might be worth a try. As a rule, Embassies are here to promote the interest of their government, not citizens who get into trouble through their own fault. But yours might be keen to help you. It's worth a try, you need all the help you can get.
I didn't know anything during that time he said he is going to renew my visa and do all the things legally because I never have done anything against rules after 6 month I was suppose to leave so I was covering my penalty charges which is around 1800$ but the Travel agency agent since he is doing everything for me I need to pay 2000$ total I did because before leaving I wanted to clear everything after that scam I continue work Now I have some amount but I still have 2 more months but I am not sure I can cover everything. i can't stop thinking about this its getting me mad everytime when I think about this but before leaving I will leave his passport in the embasy and also file a human trafficking case on him back in my country
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic