Visa overstay

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Re: Visa overstay

Post by Khmu Nation »

LIVIDZX wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:08 pm
BacardiWoke wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:29 pm They lock you up and tell you they’re keeping you until you pay and they hope this encourages you to find or borrow the money. They let you go only when they are convinced you cannot pay.
Is this 100% accurate? Hard to imagine they want you hanging around when you're literally booked on a flight.. the punishment being a 3 year ban.

If it's anything like Thailand it's absolutely accurate. I pitched up at the airport in Bangkok to get a flight home having overstayed my visa and assuming I could just pay a fine and be on my merry way.

Three months later I was still in a 120 man cell in the IDC wondering when this nightmare would ever end.

You don't want to fuck with visas. Sob stories about how you didn't know about the latest regulations or whatever aren't going to fly I'm afraid.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

GusKnocks wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:08 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:04 pm Yes, several blacklisted people entered on new passports, didn't take long for the authorities to get a hold of them and give them the boot again though.
Why let them in?
By all accounts they entered via lesser used land borders, technology not up to speed in some of those places. As soon as they applied for Visa EOS's they were immediately flagged up.

Ref entering on a new passport and obtaining an EB EOS after previously having ER's in previous passport, not sure exactly why, just a loophole or the DoI don't care, fk knows?

I entered on a new passport once, still had a valid MEEV EOS in other passport (which was full) which for some reason I stupidly shoved in my check-in luggage in my rush to get to the airport after a drunken night out in Dubai, so applied for a new VOA. Immigration asked why I was applying for a VOA when I already had a valid Visa EOS in another passport...yep, even I was surprised.

Having seen the DoI's database and how everything is linked, I can assure you that it is very comprehensive...if things are overlooked it is usually down to human error.
BacardiWoke
Tourist
Cuba

Post by BacardiWoke »

Khmu Nation wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:01 pm
BacardiWoke wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:29 pm They lock you up and tell you they’re keeping you until you pay and they hope this encourages you to find or borrow the money. They let you go only when they are convinced you cannot pay.
Is this 100% accurate? Hard to imagine they want you hanging around when you're literally booked on a flight.. the punishment being a 3 year ban.

If it's anything like Thailand it's absolutely accurate. I pitched up at the airport in Bangkok to get a flight home having overstayed my visa and assuming I could just pay a fine and be on my merry way.

Three months later I was still in a 120 man cell in the IDC wondering when this nightmare would ever end.

You don't want to fuck with visas. Sob stories about how you didn't know about the latest regulations or whatever aren't going to fly I'm afraid.
WOW. You had the money to pay the fine and still got locked up for three months?? How long was yr overstay bro?
GusKnocks
Tourist
United States of America

Post by GusKnocks »

Didn't that Kampot crime writer guy show up at immigration on long overstay with a ticket to the Philippines and they just let him leave?
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

GusKnocks wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:29 pm Didn't that Kampot crime writer guy show up at immigration on long overstay with a ticket to the Philippines and they just let him leave?
“Crime writer”?
Didn’t he just copy what actually happened. Terribly written book. Full of inaccuracies and hyperbole.

No wonder they let him leave.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
GusKnocks
Tourist
United States of America

Post by GusKnocks »

whatwat wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:57 pm
GusKnocks wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:29 pm Didn't that Kampot crime writer guy show up at immigration on long overstay with a ticket to the Philippines and they just let him leave?
“Crime writer”?
Didn’t he just copy what actually happened. Terribly written book. Full of inaccuracies and hyperbole.

No wonder they let him leave.
Fair enough but he still got out without paying haha
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

For entertainment about a 7000 $ overstay (but alas won't be too useful as a getaway trick i'm afraid
post318097.html?hilit=kid%20overstay#p318097
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Khmu Nation wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:01 pm

There must be more to your story than just a simple overstay. Plenty of people have rocked up at Thailand's airports with lengthy overstays, paid the maximum fine and could leave as scheduled. Before automatic bans were introduced in 2016, many had even returned after just a few days out.

Nevertheless, I agree with your conclusion. Anyone found on overstay in-country (before attempting to fly out) could face quite some grief.
Jaas
Tourist
Pakistan

Post by Jaas »

I don't know what to say but what should need to be done For overstaying more than a year like 15 months I am kind of really worried I am leaving in june 15
Jaas
Tourist
Pakistan

Post by Jaas »

I am leaving in june And according to my knowledge I over stayed almost a year and 2 month and I am not sure that I can cover the whole penalty fees
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic