Visa overstay

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Visa overstay

Post by Alex »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:36 pm Yea I find that extremely difficult to believe. The DoI have a very comprehensive computer database which has been in use well before 2016.
But from other reports, albeit about blacklisting, they do seem to have a massive problem with regards to linking information in their database for different passports or passport numbers of the same person.

Also, wasn't it you who advised that the only way to get an EoS based on working after getting one based on retirement is to get a new passport? That, too, wouldn't help if they were properly linking a new passport to the visitor's previous one(s).
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LIVIDZX »

To your friend or anyone else on a long overstay, could you not turn up and say I can't pay the fine but I did manage to book a flight for tomorrow (which you legit have) What would they do, they want you out so surely let you get on that flight though you may have to do one night in the cells. I wonder if you could do this without blacklisting though, I'd say it's next to impossible.
BacardiWoke
Tourist
Cuba

Post by BacardiWoke »

LIVIDZX wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:25 pm To your friend or anyone else on a long overstay, could you not turn up and say I can't pay the fine but I did manage to book a flight for tomorrow (which you legit have) What would they do, they want you out so surely let you get on that flight though you may have to do one night in the cells. I wonder if you could do this without blacklisting though, I'd say it's next to impossible.
They lock you up and tell you they’re keeping you until you pay and they hope this encourages you to find or borrow the money. They let you go only when they are convinced you cannot pay.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Alex wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:55 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:36 pm Yea I find that extremely difficult to believe. The DoI have a very comprehensive computer database which has been in use well before 2016.
But from other reports, albeit about blacklisting, they do seem to have a massive problem with regards to linking information in their database for different passports or passport numbers of the same person.

Also, wasn't it you who advised that the only way to get an EoS based on working after getting one based on retirement is to get a new passport? That, too, wouldn't help if they were properly linking a new passport to the visitor's previous one(s).
but this has nothing to do with overstay an reporting lost passport.

Every legal entry is in the computer
get new passport , every country, afaik, requires that you must get the valid entry date in ur new passport ( unless ur in ur own country) before they will stamp ya out

Of course you could always try a buy a stolen passport and use it :-)
costs range around $7-10,000 for a usable one ( one that you can cross borders with) according to my sources
and you wont find them easily to get
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Alex wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:55 pm

Source?

Every time I enter or leave they record it digitally. The days of just paper arrival- and departure cards combined with stamps are long gone (2014?). My current visa is linked to my former visa, which is... etc etc. I feel you underestimate the efficiency of the DoI.

In 2011 I (ignorantly) entered Cambodia on a new business visa on arrival while my NGO visa was still valid. I'm pretty sure you can't pull that trick anymore.
VascoDeGrandma
Tourist
Portugal

Post by VascoDeGrandma »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:44 pm
Every time I enter or leave they record it digitally. The days of just paper arrival- and departure cards combined with stamps are long gone (2014?). My current visa is linked to my former visa, which is... etc etc. I feel you underestimate the efficiency of the DoI.

In 2011 I (ignorantly) entered Cambodia on a new business visa on arrival while my NGO visa was still valid. I'm pretty sure you can't pull that trick anymore.
I've read here that if you have an ER extension for retirement, you then can't get a work permit. But if you leave and come back on a new passport, you can.

Didn't that Rebels MC guy re-enter Cambodia on a new passport.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Yes, several blacklisted people entered on new passports, didn't take long for the authorities to get a hold of them and give them the boot again though.
GusKnocks
Tourist
United States of America

Post by GusKnocks »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:04 pm Yes, several blacklisted people entered on new passports, didn't take long for the authorities to get a hold of them and give them the boot again though.
Why let them in?
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LIVIDZX »

BacardiWoke wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:29 pm They lock you up and tell you they’re keeping you until you pay and they hope this encourages you to find or borrow the money. They let you go only when they are convinced you cannot pay.
Is this 100% accurate? Hard to imagine they want you hanging around when you're literally booked on a flight.. the punishment being a 3 year ban.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

LIVIDZX wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:08 pm
BacardiWoke wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:29 pm They lock you up and tell you they’re keeping you until you pay and they hope this encourages you to find or borrow the money. They let you go only when they are convinced you cannot pay.
Is this 100% accurate? Hard to imagine they want you hanging around when you're literally booked on a flight.. the punishment being a 3 year ban.
:facepalm:
if they didn't lock them up than anyone on a long overstay would just rock up and say,
"got no money, mommy booked my flight home"
and as soon as they got on the plane they would be posting.

"Hahahahahha, had a 1 year overstay an they just let me go"
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic