Scam or Real

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Scam or Real

Post by Ravensnest »

Since I do not speak the local dialog well enough to watch local stations, I do not know if what just happened was real or fake. Someone called my wife's phone to tell her that she had won because Smart service phone number was drawn from a lottery system (ping pong balls). The prize won was 1 million (she doesn't know if it was dollars or riel) and that he and the filming crew had to come to our home for a live interview on TV.

He talked a lot and fast. Having call center experience, I could tell large chunks of what he said he is used to saying them over and over again to others as a script.

He couldn't really speak English and my wife seemed this was a little above her head and she wanted me to handle it. With my limited Khmer, I said no thanks and hung up. He called right back sounding like I was crazy to refuse the money but I said bye and I'm blocking you which I did.

I'm sure it was a scam, but what do I know.... thoughts?
Still here, in country...
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Scam or Real

Post by Jerry Atrick »

That may well be real.

@cap'n Bonez won the latest and greatest iPhone
from smart last year. And he was shouting down the phone telling them to fuck off, before realizing it was real.

But if they want you to send money, it's a scam.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I got a bizarre call last year which I very nearly told to f**k off before he said "KFour KFour".

I remembered that I had bought two things and got two lucky draw entries. Because the whole process of buying anything is a bureaucratic farce, I had to fill in these silly forms as part of the transaction.

Turns out they were lucky and I won a brand new washing machine all for a $60 purchase.

You never know...
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Scam. Pretty common practice this. After warming you up they will usually ask for a processing fee, or shipping fee to make sure you receive your price. Or ask for a small money transfer to proof the bank account is yours.

I’ve got some second hand 777 planes on offer. Great price. Interested?
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

cool- on the two wins posted above.

She said they never asked for money, and I asked her several times. Things that make you go hmmm. Did I just f-off a million bucks of some type? I guess I'll never know.
Still here, in country...
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Ravensnest wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:22 pm cool- on the two wins posted above.

She said they never asked for money, and I asked her several times. Things that make you go hmmm. Did I just f-off a million bucks of some type? I guess I'll never know.
I suspect that of anyone was going to win a $1 million prize, their name would start with Hun.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Unblock them!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

It's real unless they ask you to send money. Simple enough.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Maybe they didn't come to the scam part yet?

Anyway, even if it was real, would you want to act in their commercial on National TV for 1,000,000 r, less than 250 USD? I think we can all agree if the price were real, they were not talking about USD.
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

You should asked for the address to retrieve the prize for clarification/verification.
Since it's Smart, you should have said something like, oh if that's the case, can i go down to one of your Smart office to confirm prior you coming down my house for filming?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic