What to expect when getting engaged in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: What to expect when getting engaged in Cambodia

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:26 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:19 pm
ssian wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:52 am The wedding ceremony will be done easily but to obtain the wedding certificate and justification would involve quite a hefty sum of under table money to expedite approval...
Everything is manual and paper-work, nothing computerized...
The OP is asking about an engagement ceremony, not a wedding.
The local authorities are pretty well on the ball, I can imagine having an official engagement ceremony will be a problem if no preparations towards getting a permission to marry have been made.
It’s not 2001 anymore.
Maybe, not sure, haven't been keeping a record but previous entries seem to indicate that this is a common option that people use. I can't see how the authorities would make a fuss over this since there is no legal avenue for that as far as I'm aware (that would not always stop them though). An engagement ceremony is a private event as far as I understand it. Happy to discuss.
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

Awww if is just engagement, it depends on how big the family wants it to be. It could be a small gathering of few relatives for wedding discussion and other wedding details...

So the question is on getting engaged... It's just a family affair, nothing much just pay some carpet decorations, buy many baskets of fruits and snacks and a nice venue, probably the female place and wear your smartest attire and bring your most charming smiles...

Luckily you are not local, because people attending the engagement event would ask lots and lots of questions. It's like Q&A or you could put it like a final year end examination.
They will audit you from head to toes. Ask you any questions.
fred_stone
Tourist
United States of America

Post by fred_stone »

ssian wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:44 pm
They will audit you from head to toes. Ask you any questions.
Hahaha :lol:
PHofer
BANNED
Switzerland

Post by PHofer »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:08 am

You need to obtain authorisation from the Sangkat to hold any large gatherings, this includes a payment for the local police to provide "security and traffic control".

No documents or other formal procedures required.

The one thing to be sure if though, is that it is indeed an engagement ceremony, and the family aren't telling friends and family that it is a wedding because there is a risk it will be shut down by the authorities as we have seen happen numerous times.
No permission needed if you make ceremony in Phnom Penh.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I showed up and was made to take a million photos and also change clothes a few times. Then you sit around as the monks say something and I think my parents and her parents had to hand each other some fruit baskets at some point. My parents also just did what they were told.

I never worried about it in advance. Was nice not planning anything and just following orders.
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

Someone mentioned walking down the road at day break, leading a procession to the bride's house. That is usually done on the day of the wedding. The engagement party usually begins in late afternoon or so. The monks show up and there is a few hours of chanting/rites, and then a party afterwards.

I think the dowry situation is very fluid. When I was married 12 years ago, I paid 3k for everything. I think the wedding cost in the neighborhood of 5k. The family kept the envelope money and covered the extra cost.

The most important piece of advice that I can give you is...if her family is not good, if they often approach you for money, if they are anything less than wonderful...run like hell. You are marrying a girl, a family, and a culture. I hit the lottery and have a great wife with a very kind and supportive family. You need to honestly assess her family and be willing to abort the mission if you don't have full confidence in her family.
PHofer
BANNED
Switzerland

Post by PHofer »

I met my wife's family on day of ceremony only. Never met again.

She visits her family sometime but I stay in Phnom Penh. We both prefer that way.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

PHofer wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:11 am No permission needed if you make ceremony in Phnom Penh.
Sorry, you do realise that Phnom Penh is actually made up of many individual Sangkats don't you?

If the ceremony is taking place in a private residence or function hall then no authorisation is required, however if the ceremony involves setting up a tent on public property, then yes, authorisation is required.
PHofer
BANNED
Switzerland

Post by PHofer »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:47 am
PHofer wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:11 am No permission needed if you make ceremony in Phnom Penh.
Sorry, you do realise that Phnom Penh is actually made up of many individual Sangkats don't you?

If the ceremony is taking place in a private residence or function hall then no authorisation is required, however if the ceremony involves setting up a tent on public property, then yes, authorisation is required.
You say before "You need to obtain authorisation from the Sangkat to hold any large gatherings,"

That is not true. You are wrong.

Now you say "if the ceremony involves setting up a tent on public property, then yes, authorisation is required."

That is very very different. That may be right. But before you said "any" and it is wrong.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

PHofer wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:12 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:47 am

You say before "You need to obtain authorisation from the Sangkat to hold any large gatherings,"

That is not true. You are wrong.

Now you say "if the ceremony involves setting up a tent on public property, then yes, authorisation is required."

That is very very different. That may be right. But before you said "any" and it is wrong.
And you said “no permission is needed If you Make ceremony in Phnom Penh”, which is wrong and bad advice.
Better check locally before you have any engagement ceremony to prevent the local police interrupting your ceremony because something went wrong in their opinion.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic