Best e payment tool?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Best e payment tool?

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Looking to finally move out of the dinosaur age, I want to try out some of these tools where you can pay electronically at the counter.

I've seen Wing, Alipay, I believe there is also Smart Money, some other ones I forgot the name. It seems there are so many, how to know which one is best? Not averse to trying more than one.

Anyone used some of these and what was your experience?
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: Best e payment tool?

Post by khmerhamster »

It's not really which one is the best. Its which one is most widely accepted.
If you want to go full e payment route then you'll probably need couple of different ones as different shops accept different platforms.

I use cash and ABA Pay, it has a decent footprint, but not universal
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:08 pm Looking to finally move out of the dinosaur age, I want to try out some of these tools where you can pay electronically at the counter.

I've seen Wing, Alipay, I believe there is also Smart Money, some other ones I forgot the name. It seems there are so many, how to know which one is best? Not averse to trying more than one.

PiPay. Especially if you want to get decent discounts with it and it's most widely used in bigger cities. Other ok options would be SmartLuy, Wing and ABA Pay.

In my opinion Pipay works best out of all the options. Sometimes all of these can be be slow as they rely on 4G connections and the apps are not the best when it comes usability.

But if you just want easiness and fast payments, then contactless payment card from Visa is best though only bigger grocery stores and restaurants chains support it so far, but it's getting more widely adopted pretty quick now.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

ACLEDA’s ToanChet app is probably the best as in most widely accepted.
Master/Visa and cross border (TH, VN?) QR code payments, all province garbage, electric and water payments, bus payments, loan repayment and even share a bill and phone top ups.
You can also pay into it via their machines and counter in house or use ABA to do it, although it takes a day or two.

Doesn’t hurt to have Wing and TrueMoney etc but most towns have an ACLEDA.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

whatwat wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:29 pm ACLEDA’s ToanChet app is probably the best as in most widely accepted.
Master/Visa and cross border (TH, VN?) QR code payments, all province garbage, electric and water payments, bus payments, loan repayment and even share a bill and phone top ups.
You can also pay into it via their machines and counter in house or use ABA to do it, although it takes a day or two.

Doesn’t hurt to have Wing and TrueMoney etc but most towns have an ACLEDA.
Thanks, I thought ACLEDA Toanchet was actually a monthly payment... I have asked them and it has a monthly fee. Or perhaps all of these things have a monthly fee?
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

khmerhamster wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:55 pm It's not really which one is the best. Its which one is most widely accepted.
If you want to go full e payment route then you'll probably need couple of different ones as different shops accept different platforms.

I use cash and ABA Pay, it has a decent footprint, but not universal
Thank you, do you need to have an ABA bank account to have ABA pay?
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

rogerrabbit wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:58 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:08 pm Looking to finally move out of the dinosaur age, I want to try out some of these tools where you can pay electronically at the counter.

PiPay. Especially if you want to get decent discounts with it and it's most widely used in bigger cities. Other ok options would be SmartLuy, Wing and ABA Pay.

In my opinion Pipay works best out of all the options. Sometimes all of these can be be slow as they rely on 4G connections and the apps are not the best when it comes usability.

But if you just want easiness and fast payments, then contactless payment card from Visa is best though only bigger grocery stores and restaurants chains support it so far, but it's getting more widely adopted pretty quick now.
Thanks, I will check out PiPay.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I've noticed that many stores in Cambodia either don't accept straight forward Visa / Mastercard payments or are very reluctant to do so, and I don't blame them. I think these days, with so many other ways to pay electronically (fee-free), the fees that Visa and Mastercard apply make them pretty much unviable as payment options. Stores either have to pass the fee onto the customer or suck it up themselves.

I've noticed that many stores make themselves out to be 'cash only' types of stores but if you ask, they often have a direct transfer facility where you simply transfer the money from your ABA account into theirs via your ABA app. I just wish they realised the importance of letting customers know this without them having to ask.

I tried to buy a laptop last week and they told me they only accept cash. I said I don't carry that amount of cash on me, to which they just shrugged their shoulders. It was only through me asking them directly if I could do a direct ABA transfer that they said yes. - Bizarre if you ask me. They'd rather lose a big sale rather than just mention that an alternative to cash is to do a direct ABA transfer. (I didn't buy the laptop in the end for reasons I highlighted in another post)

But for small purchases, I'd recommend PiPay. Great for discounts and special offers. For everything else I just use cash or ABA transfers / ABA Pay (the QR code thingy they often have at the till)
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

xandreu wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:08 am I've noticed that many stores in Cambodia either don't accept straight forward Visa / Mastercard payments or are very reluctant to do so, and I don't blame them. I think these days, with so many other ways to pay electronically (fee-free), the fees that Visa and Mastercard apply make them pretty much unviable as payment options. Stores either have to pass the fee onto the customer or suck it up themselves.

I've noticed that many stores make themselves out to be 'cash only' types of stores but if you ask, they often have a direct transfer facility where you simply transfer the money from your ABA account into theirs via your ABA app. I just wish they realised the importance of letting customers know this without them having to ask.

I tried to buy a laptop last week and they told me they only accept cash. I said I don't carry that amount of cash on me, to which they just shrugged their shoulders. It was only through me asking them directly if I could do a direct ABA transfer that they said yes. - Bizarre if you ask me. They'd rather lose a big sale rather than just mention that an alternative to cash is to do a direct ABA transfer. (I didn't buy the laptop in the end for reasons I highlighted in another post)

But for small purchases, I'd recommend PiPay. Great for discounts and special offers. For everything else I just use cash or ABA transfers / ABA Pay (the QR code thingy they often have at the till)
I was using a credit card recently at Lucky Supermarket, which was very convenient and I didn't even realize that I could use it there. No complaints or additional charges. Shows you that prices are high enough there that those costs are built in.

Re your experience on ABA transfer: I experience what seems to be irrational or illogical behavior somewhat regularly from vendors, and have just started to accept it. But strange, yes.

How does one sign up for PiPay?
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:57 pm
xandreu wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:08 am I've noticed that many stores in Cambodia either don't accept straight forward Visa / Mastercard payments or are very reluctant to do so, and I don't blame them. I think these days, with so many other ways to pay electronically (fee-free), the fees that Visa and Mastercard apply make them pretty much unviable as payment options. Stores either have to pass the fee onto the customer or suck it up themselves.

I was using a credit card recently at Lucky Supermarket, which was very convenient and I didn't even realize that I could use it there. No complaints or additional charges. Shows you that prices are high enough there that those costs are built in.

Re your experience on ABA transfer: I experience what seems to be irrational or illogical behavior somewhat regularly from vendors, and have just started to accept it. But strange, yes.

How does one sign up for PiPay?
Download the app -> register -> verify by taking photo of your id/passport inside the app -> top up using for example ABA app or PayGo kiosk.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic