Foreign Marriage Recognition in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CamCam
Tourist
Australia

Foreign Marriage Recognition in Cambodia

Post by CamCam »

Hi
I am new to the site and wish to know of my marriage to a Cambodian woman held in Australia is recognised in Cambodia. If it is recognised does that mean I am married in Cambodia or do I need to go through the process like a new marriage.
Thanks in advance to everyone
CamCam
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Re: Foreign Marriage Recognition in Cambodia

Post by lostjeremy »

ask-the-expats-questions-answers/how-ge ... 34780.html

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

I can't verify the current status, but I can share with you my experience about 3 years ago. My wife and I were married in the U.S. We went to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and they gave us paper work to take to our local Sangkat. The Sangkat signed off on it, we took the paper work back to the Ministry, (I can't recall what fees were involved) and we received our Cambodian marriage license.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Lonestar was one of the lucky ones, and as far as I am aware one of the last to have their marriage abroad formally & legally recognised in Cambodia.

The MoFAIC and MoI will not recognise marriages between Foreigners & Cambodian Nationals unless the marriage procedure followed the application of the Law on Marriage & Family, that is...
Marriage between a Cambodian citizen and Cambodian citizen or between a Cambodian citizen and foreigner living in a foreign country must be held before the registrar of the embassy or consulate of the State of Cambodia which is located in the country where both party reside.

Marriage between a Cambodian and Cambodian or Cambodian citizen and foreigner, which is formally held
according to marriage procedure described by the law of the marriage, shall be recognized as being valid in the
State of Cambodia as long as such marriage is not against the provisions of the laws of the State of Cambodia.

A marriage certificate or a copy of the marriage certificate must be registered in a registration book of the embassy
or consulate of the State of Cambodia.

The State of Cambodia shall enter the marriage certificate or copy of the marriage certificate in the registration
book of the Commune or Section in the jurisdiction where both spouses reside
CamCam wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:26 am ... or do I need to go through the process like a new marriage.
You will not be eligible to go through the marriage process in Cambodia due to already being married, one of the requirements for the process in Cambodia is providing evidence that you are not already married ie. Certificate of non-impediment/Single Status/Divorced/Widowed.

You could try petitioning the the Phnom Penh Court of First Instance to have your marriage abroad recognised, but there is no guarantee and you need to consider whether the hassle and cost involved is worth it.

Why is it so important for you to have your marriage legally recognised in Cambodia? If not planning to live here long-term and/or raise children here, then there aren't that really many advantages to being legally married here. If planning to live here long-term and/or raise children here, then it is beneficial to be legally married in Cambodia, but not absolutely necessary by any means.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:53 pm Lonestar was one of the lucky ones, and as far as I am aware one of the last to have their marriage abroad formally & legally recognised in Cambodia.

The MoFAIC and MoI will not recognise marriages between Foreigners & Cambodian Nationals unless the marriage procedure followed the application of the Law on Marriage & Family, that is...
Marriage between a Cambodian citizen and Cambodian citizen or between a Cambodian citizen and foreigner living in a foreign country must be held before the registrar of the embassy or consulate of the State of Cambodia which is located in the country where both party reside.

Marriage between a Cambodian and Cambodian or Cambodian citizen and foreigner, which is formally held
according to marriage procedure described by the law of the marriage, shall be recognized as being valid in the
State of Cambodia as long as such marriage is not against the provisions of the laws of the State of Cambodia.

A marriage certificate or a copy of the marriage certificate must be registered in a registration book of the embassy
or consulate of the State of Cambodia.

The State of Cambodia shall enter the marriage certificate or copy of the marriage certificate in the registration
book of the Commune or Section in the jurisdiction where both spouses reside
CamCam wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:26 am ... or do I need to go through the process like a new marriage.
You will not be eligible to go through the marriage process in Cambodia due to already being married, one of the requirements for the process in Cambodia is providing evidence that you are not already married ie. Certificate of non-impediment/Single Status/Divorced/Widowed.

You could try petitioning the the Phnom Penh Court of First Instance to have your marriage abroad recognised, but there is no guarantee and you need to consider whether the hassle and cost involved is worth it.

Why is it so important for you to have your marriage legally recognised in Cambodia? If not planning to live here long-term and/or raise children here, then there aren't that really many advantages to being legally married here. If planning to live here long-term and/or raise children here, then it is beneficial to be legally married in Cambodia, but not absolutely necessary by any means.
Is this a catch-22 situation? They won't recognise your foreign marriage and grant you married status, but they will recognise it as an impediment to marrying in Cambodia and also refuse you married status?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Yes it is indeed a catch-22 situation.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Yet another screw by the local authorities here. Who'da guessed?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

They want their luy luy luy. Why bother though? Do you have assets here?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Pff. More trickster rubbish. :protest:
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

CamCam wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:26 am I am new to the site and wish to know of my marriage to a Cambodian woman held in Australia is recognised in Cambodia. If it is recognised does that mean I am married in Cambodia or do I need to go through the process like a new marriage.
I don't understand why it is an issue. If you are married in Australia, you are married. Why make it more complicated?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic