Riot In Brixton England - Police run for their life

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Riot In Brixton England - Police run for their life

Post by Doc67 »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:40 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:57 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:37 pm [
That' a very good assessment of the reality in the UK.

Blacks have equality of education and employment opportunity. What they don't have is equality of outcomes. Nobody does, outcomes are earned, not gifted.
No equality in the event of a dispute with an employer. The likely compensation payable to a black employee will be far greater than that payable to a white employee in an otherwise similar scenario (assuming discrimination can be worked into the claim somehow). Same is true for disabled and LGBTQ, to be fair.
The man involved with that airplane stunt in Burnley was sacked even though the police said he had not broken the law. I am trying to imagine what would have happened had a black employee been sacked for a similar reason, IE supporting BLM ?
He would of been praised for his ingenuity.

The football club and his employer are all running for cover. I think his girlfriend got suspended too. This whole BLM thing is like a radioactive minefield. You get sick even if you get near it, and really sick if you spend too much time near it, and blown up if it really goes wrong. This is why every celebrity and big company having been rushing to put out statements in support or pledges to review their practices or history, all desperate to get their credentials in order and hopefully avoid any scrutiny or attention at all. This is all downside - completely toxic. I doubt many of them give a flying f**k but they must be seen to be on message.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I used to live near that estate.Its a complete dump.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Blacks have equality of education and employment opportunity. What they don't have is equality of outcomes. Nobody does, outcomes are earned, not gifted.
No equality in the event of a dispute with an employer. The likely compensation payable to a black employee will be far greater than that payable to a white employee in an otherwise similar scenario (assuming discrimination can be worked into the claim somehow). Same is true for disabled and LGBTQ, to be fair.
The man involved with that airplane stunt in Burnley was sacked even though the police said he had not broken the law. I am trying to imagine what would have happened had a black employee been sacked for a similar reason, IE supporting BLM ?
I don't blame the company he worked for for sacking him. Sure, he didn't break the law but it was a highly publicised media story and if I was the owner of whatever company he worked for, especially in the current climate, I simply wouldn't want that kind of stunt to be associated with my business.

I'm not saying he deserved to be fired, nor that it was the right thing to do. But I understand why they did. It's a shame that it's now got to the point where people are being sacked for having a view or an opinion on something completely unrelated to and outside of their job, but that's more the fault of what we have allowed to become normal as a society rather than blaming the individual companies themselves. Their main focus is to simply to maintain their reputation and if that means having to sack one of their employees for doing something which could harm that reputation, I'm afraid it's a case of - there's the door. I would have felt I had no choice but to fire him too if I were in that situation.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

xandreu wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:53 pm

I don't blame the company he worked for for sacking him. Sure, he didn't break the law but it was a highly publicised media story and if I was the owner of whatever company he worked for, especially in the current climate, I simply wouldn't want that kind of stunt to be associated with my business.

I'm not saying he deserved to be fired, nor that it was the right thing to do. But I understand why they did. It's a shame that it's now got to the point where people are being sacked for having a view or an opinion on something completely unrelated to and outside of their job, but that's more the fault of what we have allowed to become normal as a society rather than blaming the individual companies themselves. Their main focus is to simply to maintain their reputation and if that means having to sack one of their employees for doing something which could harm that reputation, I'm afraid it's a case of - there's the door. I would have felt I had no choice but to fire him too if I were in that situation.
OTOH, this reign of terror will continue unless people and companies stand up and say no to the mob.
ramone
Tourist
Samoa

Post by ramone »

Yobbo wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:38 am Time to reinstate the home guard!
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:59 pm
Alex wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:13 pm ... the NHS-perpetrated mass euthanasia of care home residents...
Are you going to back that up with some clear fact, or just some obscure innuendo?
I was being quite generous. Some would call discharging infectious COVID-19 patients to care homes mass murder, as the outcome was too predictable to support any claim of mere negligence or incompetence.

Whatever you or I choose to call it, the resulting numbers (infections and deaths among care home residents) speak for themselves. Easy to compare to the numbers in other countries, too.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Alex wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:41 pm
Freightdog wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:59 pm
Alex wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:13 pm ... the NHS-perpetrated mass euthanasia of care home residents...
Are you going to back that up with some clear fact, or just some obscure innuendo?
I was being quite generous. Some would call discharging infectious COVID-19 patients to care homes mass murder, as the outcome was too predictable to support any claim of mere negligence or incompetence.

Whatever you or I choose to call it, the resulting numbers (infections and deaths among care home residents) speak for themselves. Easy to compare to the numbers in other countries, too.
This is one of the biggest scandals that will be laid bare in the inevitable public enquiry. However, it is not 'acceptable' to voice such views at the moment as the NHS are heroes that we have only just stopped publicly applauding on a weekly basis. There can be no criticism at all. You will be stoned to death if you try it.

Nobody wants to address the issue of who, names and ranks, made the clinical decision to send Covid-19 positive geriatrics with little or mild symptoms back into cares homes without total isolation facilities and full PPE for the staff. Don't expect anything very soon (think 2025)
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Big Daikon wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:18 pm
xandreu wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:53 pm

OTOH, this reign of terror will continue unless people and companies stand up and say no to the mob.
I fully agree, but that's easy to say when it isn't your (or my) business who's ruined reputation might be just enough to push it over the edge at a time of such economic uncertainty.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic