Why You Should Never Give a TukTuk Driver Your House Keys (Burglary Caught on CCTV Camera)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Why You Should Never Give a TukTuk Driver Your House Keys (Burglary Caught on CCTV Camera)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

This was shared on social media, showing what an expat alleges is burglary by her driver of 2 years. She says he made a copy of their keys, then came back later when they weren't home and stole thousands of dollars worth of jewelry, cash and other things. They was at least smart enough to set up their own CCTV security cameras and catch him in the act to warn others. She says the alleged thief now delivers pizza.

Video of the burglary:

Images of the guy:

From social media:

Keo was my driver for two years. He made a copy of my house key and would come into my house and take jewelry, cash, and whatever else looked like had value and that I wouldn’t notice missing. He has stolen thousands of dollars worth of my jewelry. Please do not hire him, he cannot be trusted. He would go and take things from my house when I was away on holiday and even take cash from my purse in the office when I was upstairs. I feel so foolish for helping his family out while he was robbing us blind. Please learn from my mistake. His daughter and wife to this day still post photos of themselves wearing my jewelry on FB.

He currently is a pizza delivery driver in Phnom Penh.

He was my personal driver. I didn’t give him my key, he made a copy from the housekeeper. They were very close and often ate lunch together.

Police were called, my husband went down to the police station, they took Keo down to the station in his car, Keo even confessed to the police everything he took. He confessed he has been stealing from us after a month starting to work for us. We had a translator involved and a witness from our gated community. I really don’t know what else we could have done. He begged my husband not to press charges, but the thing is, the items he stole was my all of Mother’s jewelry she left to me when she passed away. These weren’t just things but memories that were to be passed down to my daughters. He even took my great grandmother’s wedding band. They sent a picture of an emerald necklace and said “IF” they were able to return it would we not press charges. He took so much more and so we said we need more than just the necklace back to drop charges. We got a lawyer involved but now all has gone radio silent. No phone calls or emails returned, nothing. So I feel they only thing I can do is just warn others so hopefully it won’t happen to them.

It’s been about 10 months since he confessed and police report was filed. We have been trying to work with our lawyer to get updates, but nothing since covid now.

I feel like all is lost so now my best option is to tell my story in hopes that it won’t happen to anyone else.
Thank you everyone for the supportive comments.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
angsta
Expatriate
Iran

Re: Why You Should Never Give a TukTuk Driver Your House Keys (Burglary Caught on CCTV Camera)

Post by angsta »

What a cunt.
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
Agarwal.Aditya
Expatriate
India

Re: Why You Should Never Give a TukTuk Driver Your House Keys (Burglary Caught on CCTV Camera)

Post by Agarwal.Aditya »

I will never permit the tuk tuk driver to enter my home.
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

The lawyer won't help you for that I think.

The thing you can do :

Print a poster with pictures of him, his name, his facebook, the pictures of his family wearing your belongings and a text in khmer that described what he did.
Take a picture of a bundle of posters , don't need to print a lot just one on top and just white paper for the rest.
Send him the picture and tell him if your belongings are not returned, you ll have to post hundreds, thousands of posters everywhere + publish on facebook etc...

May not work, may work, but there is not a lot of things you can do about it now.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Agarwal.Aditya wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:22 pm I will never permit the tuk tuk driver to enter my home.
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:11 pm "I didn’t give him my key, he made a copy from the housekeeper. They were very close and often ate lunch together."
Part of me wonders why this doesn't happen more often. When you have people who are clearly very wealthy who hire people are , let's just say not very wealthy, for me it's inevitable that this sort of thing is very likely to happen, regardless of the country you live. But then the other part of me thinks that she's at least offering employment to people who need it.

Either way, it's theft. As she says, they were memories more than valuable items. I hope she somehow gets them back.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

The title of this thread is like the reminder that nobody, ever, needed.

These people are obviously a soft touch. Even the police are having a laugh.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:17 pm The title of this thread is like the reminder that nobody, ever, needed.

The title of the thread is also misleading. As she says, she didn't give him her keys. He copied them from her housekeeper without her knowing.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

xandreu wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:20 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:17 pm The title of this thread is like the reminder that nobody, ever, needed.

The title of the thread is also misleading. As she says, she didn't give him her keys. He copied them from her housekeeper without her knowing.
Whole story is strange - the police wouldn't arrest him, just made him sign an agreement to return stuff??

And now they are being extorted by the lawyers they hired. SMH
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

Thank the lord for this post. There was me thinking it was just common courtesy to give tuk tuk drivers a key. Learn something new each day.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Hang on a minute please! grrrr..
before we allow this probably totally misdirected slander to continue.

Where does it say he was a tuk tuk driver?

Official communication from the United Tuk Tuk Drivers of Cambodia Guild
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic