Hana Kimura’s Death - The Dark Side of Japanese Culture

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Hana Kimura’s Death - The Dark Side of Japanese Culture

Post by newkidontheblock »

Netflix has released the entire series of Terrace House. Now getting to Hana Kimura joining the house.

Just little hints and musings.

In a little vignette, Hana tells a housemate that she originally hated being a wrestler and wanted to be a dancer. And her mom told her, that she will never be loved by everyone. Wrestling was the only option open to her. On her suicide note, she says she just wanted to be loved by everyone. Something that is impossible in Japan. Cyber bullying is just an excuse, IMHO.

Pepe also mentions that it’s hard to date in Japan because he has a hard time ‘reading’ the Japanese (the unwritten cultural signals), not the language. Yet the guy is clearly a suave Italian.

Japanese Culture seems to have a love of order, as in where everyone stands socially and in society. There isn’t a freedom of social movement and expression. It has to be socially correct. For example, Mixed race Japanese are judged by their skin type in what they can do (and not do). Japanese who live outside of Japan too long and forget the social norms aren’t considered really Japanese. And foreigners are never really Japanese.

There is much to admire in Japanese culture. But I think it’s the dark underside.

What does everyone else think?

Or am I just overthinking it?
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Hana Kimura’s Death - The Dark Side of Japanese Culture

Post by Ghostwriter »

You could read Sanctuary online, great story. Some manga website have it.

" Sanctuary is a story that featured two childhood friends, Akira Hojo and Chiaki Asami, who are ruthlessly struggling to set a new paradigm of living in Japan. However, the two friends took radically different paths (playing rock-paper-scissors to decide their roles): Akira chose the dark path and joined a Yakuza gang, while Chiaki strived to become the youngest member of the Japanese Diet. As survivors of the Cambodian killing fields, the two characters developed an unmatched aggression and survival instincts, helping them to achieve their common ultimate goal: making Japan their own sanctuary.

The story starts with Hojo as a minor mob boss and Asami as a political advisor. The plot first focuses on their rise to positions of greater power. Hojo's rise is decidedly quicker than Asami's, whose struggle to get to the top lasts the entire manga. Hojo is a Yakuza Don by book 2. The story then follows his attempts to gain control over the entire Yakuza while secretly paving the way for them to become a legitimate enterprise. Asami, meanwhile, must try to enter the Diet by forming his own party that represents the younger people of Japan. He is constantly opposed by the current Dietmen, who are aging politicians intent on holding onto power (often considered to be a thinly-veiled reference to the Liberal Democratic Party)."
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:15 amPepe also mentions that it’s hard to date in Japan because he has a hard time ‘reading’ the Japanese (the unwritten cultural signals), not the language. Yet the guy is clearly a suave Italian.
I'm a big goofy American and I had a blast being single in Japan.

Yeas, Japan is still very much a village society and is can be quite unforgiving towards nonconformity. OTOH, they have a very clean, organized society. The trade-off largely works.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Big Daikon wrote:I'm a big goofy American and I had a blast being single in Japan.

Yeas, Japan is still very much a village society and is can be quite unforgiving towards nonconformity. OTOH, they have a very clean, organized society. The trade-off largely works.
That’s exactly it. There is pre defined slot for ‘big goofy American’ in Japanese society. I’m glad for you.

But if you tried to become something other than that. Say, a Shinto priest, or a manga creator, the reception would be different. Or, a half Japanese wrestling ‘heel’ type character who wants to be a cute idol dancer, the reception would have been very different. So different that it drove a poor girl to suicide.

This is of course a girl who had performed at Tokyo Dome and Madison Square Garden. Bonafide rising star. Possible brand name in a few years, like Hulk Hogan.

Of course lots of stars turn to drink and drugs and die of overdose. So the outcome could have been the same.

It’s strange that there are no interviews with her mom, or dad about her death. At least that I could find.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:12 am
Big Daikon wrote:I'm a big goofy American and I had a blast being single in Japan.

That’s exactly it. There is pre defined slot for ‘big goofy American’ in Japanese society. I’m glad for you.
Yup. It's their country and they may do as they please. I accept my position as "gaijin" or GTFO. (Not a bad life tbh)
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Watching those wrestlers, I wondered if CTE (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy) may have played a part in her suicide.

It has been linked to suicides in boxers and NFL players and nascent signs have been seen in the brain tissue of very young athletes.

Watching a few videos of those wrestlers, they are constantly jumping, flying, flipping from high up and repeatedly smacking their heads on the mat.

That has to have a jarring effect on the brain. And that coupled with Japanese societal pressures could have been a recipe for disaster.
What are the early signs of CTE?
Symptoms

Difficulty thinking (cognitive impairment)
Impulsive behavior.
Depression or apathy.
Short-term memory loss.
Difficulty planning and carrying out tasks (executive function)
Emotional instability.
Substance misuse.
Suicidal thoughts or behavior.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Ghostwriter wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:20 am You could read Sanctuary online, great story. Some manga website have it.

" Sanctuary is a story that featured two childhood friends, Akira Hojo and Chiaki Asami, who are ruthlessly struggling to set a new paradigm of living in Japan. However, the two friends took radically different paths (playing rock-paper-scissors to decide their roles): Akira chose the dark path and joined a Yakuza gang, while Chiaki strived to become the youngest member of the Japanese Diet. As survivors of the Cambodian killing fields, the two characters developed an unmatched aggression and survival instincts, helping them to achieve their common ultimate goal: making Japan their own sanctuary.

The story starts with Hojo as a minor mob boss and Asami as a political advisor. The plot first focuses on their rise to positions of greater power. Hojo's rise is decidedly quicker than Asami's, whose struggle to get to the top lasts the entire manga. Hojo is a Yakuza Don by book 2. The story then follows his attempts to gain control over the entire Yakuza while secretly paving the way for them to become a legitimate enterprise. Asami, meanwhile, must try to enter the Diet by forming his own party that represents the younger people of Japan. He is constantly opposed by the current Dietmen, who are aging politicians intent on holding onto power (often considered to be a thinly-veiled reference to the Liberal Democratic Party)."
Check out the Strain series. Same writer/artist duo as Sanctuary.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Mayo the 5$ killer. Bought it too 20 years ago.
Rocky 666
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Rocky 666 »

CTE (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy) is a Good point. I also agree that the society does not breed women to be as stong emotionally as their male counter parts. V Sad .
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Rocky 666 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:38 am I also agree that the society does not breed women to be as stong emotionally as their male counter parts. V Sad .
Who are you agreeing with, exactly?

I don't recall anyone posting that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic