Sending money to Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
pauloxleyisland
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Sending money to Cambodia

Post by pauloxleyisland »

I to have settled with Western Union, easiest and safest . Stay well away from XE, thought they were the answer and were great for 5 or 6 transactions, then only half my money turned up in my ABA account. Apparently it was some other foreign bank the go through and have no control over. That was the end of that for me
I know the big words make your cock feel bigger, but I’m just an old truck driver keep it simple aye! 8)
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

pauloxleyisland wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:13 pm Stay well away from XE, thought they were the answer and were great for 5 or 6 transactions, then only half my money turned up in my ABA account. Apparently it was some other foreign bank the go through and have no control over. That was the end of that for me
I don't know about that particular company. But some of these companies are scams. Some of the money gets through, and some of the money gets stolen. They are hiding where you can never find them to do anything about it.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

explorer wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:36 pm
pauloxleyisland wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:13 pm Stay well away from XE, thought they were the answer and were great for 5 or 6 transactions, then only half my money turned up in my ABA account. Apparently it was some other foreign bank the go through and have no control over. That was the end of that for me
I don't know about that particular company. But some of these companies are scams. Some of the money gets through, and some of the money gets stolen. They are hiding where you can never find them to do anything about it.
If you have solid information, it would be helpful for other people if you could name "these companies"that you know are scammers.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:46 pm If you have solid information, it would be helpful for other people if you could name "these companies"that you know are scammers.
There is one example here.

I have read other online forums, and this is not the only money transfer company that people warn others about.

Money disappears, and the company cannot be contacted. You have no idea where it is.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

explorer wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:01 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:46 pm If you have solid information, it would be helpful for other people if you could name "these companies"that you know are scammers.

I have read other online forums, and this is not the only money transfer company that people warn others about.

Money disappears, and the company cannot be contacted. You have no idea where it is.
Yep. Thats why we need to know which companies can be trusted or not, according to first hand experience. No point saying that "some people are thieves". :whistler: That's a no brainer.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:01 pm
explorer wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:01 pm

Yep. Thats why we need to know which companies can be trusted or not, according to first hand experience. No point saying that "some people are thieves". :whistler: That's a no brainer.
I normally don't keep a record of links. Then I am only going by what others said. There was several people saying they had money taken.

I suggest, to be safe, only use companies with a physical office, that you can contact.
pauloxleyisland
Expatriate
Australia

Post by pauloxleyisland »

Think I said XE Money , and I also said it happened to me, not hear say
I know the big words make your cock feel bigger, but I’m just an old truck driver keep it simple aye! 8)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Well, so far, no issues. Less hassle than the forex account has been with ‘people working from home’. Generally has been arriving slightly quicker. I had used it a couple of times prior to Covid, too. But since the fertiliser met the fan, it’s been the simplest.

. Great bit of info, that- Gives nothing more than the preceding post. No actual example. Good job :thumb:
Rtrac
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Rtrac »

Maybe you can find a American equivalent but ... I have my banking in the USA with Chase (US dollars). If you have a certain amount of business with them, they provide free of charge, wired money transfers. Works on my phone's app to move money to my wife's ABA account in PP. Costs nothing.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:01 pm
Yep. Thats why we need to know which companies can be trusted or not, according to first hand experience. No point saying that "some people are thieves". That's a no brainer.
You give a list of companies that are known scammers.

It can't be done. The fact that somebody said so on the internet is not proof. However, I don't use companies that people say they have been scammed by.

Somebody can start a list of companies that people say they have been scammed by. It would be ideal if a link to where people say they have been scammed is included.

We have one example to start with.

1. XE
ask-the-expats-questions-answers/sendin ... 38964.html

There is another one that I have read about on the internet, but unless I come across the information again, I wont post with no evidence.

Remember, we have no proof. But I would not use them.

We can start a list of companies which are safe to send money with. Others can add to the list. It would be good to include which country you are sending money from.

If you have used a company, and not been scammed, that is also not proof that others have not been scammed by the same company.

From Australia:

1. Sending a bank to bank transfer from any of the large banks is safe. If your money did not arrive, you could get it back. However, this is so expensive you will probably not send money this way twice.

2. Western Union. Again, if the money did not arrive, you could get it back. Western Union is also very expensive, particularly as you lose a lot of money with the exchange rate.

It is essential to give correct information when sending money. If you give incorrect information, such as wrong account number, when sending money, you could lose the money.

Others can add other companies which have an office, and can be contacted if money goes astray.

I have started these lists. Others please add to them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic