Sihanoukville Real Estate Rocketing up: 30billion usd development

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Sihanoukville Real Estate Rocketing up: 30billion usd development

Post by Clutch Cargo »

So real estate is rocketing up....to what end? For profit of developers? A tasteful, appealing beachside resort city? No, those pics look like a yucky chinese building style city...even Pattaya looks better than that. :facepalm:
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

rogerrabbit wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:59 pm
Duncan wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:39 pm Sihanoukville was popular with tourist because of what it was,,, not because of what it could be.
Statistics doesn't really indicate that. Sihanoukville visitor numbers have doubled from 2014 to 2019.
Whats your source for visitor numbers please ?

Until early 2017, Snooky was still ok but very quickly went downhill after that, its mid 2017-2020 when the big problems (Chinese destruction/development ) really started
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

jaynewcastle wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:14 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:59 pm
Duncan wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:39 pm Sihanoukville was popular with tourist because of what it was,,, not because of what it could be.
Statistics doesn't really indicate that. Sihanoukville visitor numbers have doubled from 2014 to 2019.
Whats your source for visitor numbers please ?

Until early 2017, Snooky was still ok but very quickly went downhill after that, its mid 2017-2020 when the big problems (Chinese destruction/development ) really started
Last year there was article on PPP or Khmertimes about specific tourist numbers in Sihanoukville city but cannot find it now. If I have time, I can find it for you.

But you can see from this Cambodia Tourism 2018 report visitor numbers in Coastal Area (Kampot, Kep, Koh Kong & Sihanoukville) in previous years and from this Khmer Times article you can find out that in 2019 the number for coastal area was 1,2 million. Majority of the tourist numbers in Coastal Areas are from Sihanoukville province.

And then you can look Sihanoukville airport passengers stats, from 100k in 2015 to 1,6 million in 2019.

Also you can check hotel booking sites or airbnb as they provide stats too and they show similar trends.

Local visits plummeted in 2019, that is true. But for this year numbers are up again, I believe back to 2017 level.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

rogerrabbit wrote:Local visits plummeted in 2019, that is true. But for this year numbers are up again, I believe back to 2017 level.
How is this possible? There are border closures. Even outright bans from certain countries for a while. Even now, a visitor to the Kingdom of Wonder needs to spend a minimum of three weeks stay, bring three thousand on arrival, and have fifty thousand insurance. As well as a stamped test letter before flying.

Enough hoops that even the formerly eternal tourist
to the Kingdom of Wonder can’t get through.

I think the mainland Chinese are getting a special deal that Freshnews won’t be reporting on anytime soon.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

It wasn't a shit-hole! It was quaint. Full of charm.

Now, it's a shit-hole! :evil:
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:29 am
rogerrabbit wrote:Local visits plummeted in 2019, that is true. But for this year numbers are up again, I believe back to 2017 level.
How is this possible? There are border closures. Even outright bans from certain countries for a while. Even now, a visitor to the Kingdom of Wonder needs to spend a minimum of three weeks stay, bring three thousand on arrival, and have fifty thousand insurance. As well as a stamped test letter before flying.

Enough hoops that even the formerly eternal tourist
to the Kingdom of Wonder can’t get through.

I think the mainland Chinese are getting a special deal that Freshnews won’t be reporting on anytime soon.
Sorry, in quoted phrase I meant only visits by locals are back up. International visitors for this year are of course very low because the reasons you stated.
WineOxley
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by WineOxley »

Are individuals that suggest these infrastructure projects in SHK are completely wasteful, stupid and soon to be abandoned:

a) bitter
b) naive
c) missing the big picture?
d) correct

Has anyone looked at the development/timeline of the SHK "SEZ" or Special Economic Zone and the timeline of the "SEZ" in Shenzhen, China?
Lands and cities are left astern,your faults will follow you whithersoever you travel.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

This doesn't look attractive or fun to me, they need to spread it out a bit more and build as they need not what there hoping to need, I might check out suk again for a few days next year depending on what sort of travel I'm keen on post lockdown...
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

WineOxley wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:55 pm Are individuals that suggest these infrastructure projects in SHK are completely wasteful, stupid and soon to be abandoned:

a) bitter
b) naive
c) missing the big picture?
d) correct

Has anyone looked at the development/timeline of the SHK "SEZ" or Special Economic Zone and the timeline of the "SEZ" in Shenzhen, China?
Your answer is here :
https://southeastasiaglobe.com/how-to-r ... JtSe-VqlfU

Cambodia is not China, cambodians are not chinese, Sihanoukville is not Shenzen.
basta.binici
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by basta.binici »

I guess best times for Snooky was BC 2700. No humans. Cobras and starry nights.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic